Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 02:18 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe

2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe
By Brett Foote

Entering its fifth model year, the seventh-gen ES continues to evolve.

Old 08-30-22, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I wonder if Lexus is gonna delete this car for North America. Every time I see one, I just think it looks way out of date in a sea of crossovers and SUVs and trucks
Old 08-30-22, 03:06 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder if Lexus is gonna delete this car for North America. Every time I see one, I just think it looks way out of date in a sea of crossovers and SUVs and trucks
It seems like the ES might be on thin ice, but they're ​​​​​still selling over 3,600 ES per month in the US so Lexus might be hesitant to pull the plug on it.
Old 08-30-22, 03:11 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The new Crown sold in the U.S. will be the biggest threat to the ES's existence, especially if it gets the more powerful engines. Price is key.
Old 08-30-22, 03:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It seems like the ES might be on thin ice, but they're ​​​​​still selling over 3,600 ES per month in the US so Lexus might be hesitant to pull the plug on it.
‘Lexus is consolidating production back to Japan. So it will be interesting if the next gen ES is still exported. Or maybe Toyota makes a Lexus version of the Toyota Crown 3600 sales a month is still very good…for a sedan in chip shortage times
Old 08-30-22, 11:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Sells very well in the US, so why would they consider ending it here?
So all those updates.... weren't those things done for the US this past model year?
Old 08-31-22, 01:01 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Sells very well in the US, so why would they consider ending it here?
So all those updates.... weren't those things done for the US this past model year?
From what I can tell there is no F-Sport Design in US. Apparently this package will give you F-Sport exterior that you can combine with all interior and exterior colors. This is something Lexus F-Sport models still don't allow you to do.
Old 08-31-22, 05:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

For people that I know that own this, including one neighbor where I used to live in DC, she wanted an LS, but saw the ES and felt she getting just enough that she needed. Heard a few other ES owners tell me the same including one that grew across from where I grew up in here in Miami. They also did not want something smaller like the IS. Not saying this is a hit with younger owners, but for people older than me, it does function for their luxury needs.
Old 08-31-22, 06:50 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The new Crown sold in the U.S. will be the biggest threat to the ES's existence, especially if it gets the more powerful engines. Price is key.
My guess is our ES 350 world will change when the move back to Japan is made. Since the higher level ES 350 was the more luxurious version of the Avalon, so to speak, my guess is a the 2024 or 2025 Lexus model, made in Japan, will be a more luxurious version of the Crown. There's a nice Crown presentation on line by Toyota. It's a handsome car if that's your cup of tea.
As an "old guy" of 75, the 6 cyl, pure ICE ES 350 with its Lexus reliability is my standard and I will sorely miss it. The Crown is a hybrid, all wheel deal. I don't need or want that configuration. I don't need or want all of its new technology, etc.
I'll probably just replace my 2021 with one of the last ES 350's made (maybe with a nice rebate) and drive that last "traditionally configured" luxury car into the sunset.
I guess I'm just too old to change. But I know what I like!
Old 08-31-22, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
you sound like the target customer for sure.

Old 08-31-22, 09:53 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you sound like the target customer for sure.
Makes new car shopping very easy!
Reminds me of my middle aged lawyer uncle who hated shopping for clothes. Would simply call Brooks Brothers every spring and order 6 new charcoal grey suits, 12 white shirts and 4 burgundy ties. Life made simple!
Old 08-31-22, 01:48 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
My guess is our ES 350 world will change when the move back to Japan is made. Since the higher level ES 350 was the more luxurious version of the Avalon, so to speak, my guess is a the 2024 or 2025 Lexus model, made in Japan, will be a more luxurious version of the Crown. There's a nice Crown presentation on line by Toyota. It's a handsome car if that's your cup of tea.
As an "old guy" of 75, the 6 cyl, pure ICE ES 350 with its Lexus reliability is my standard and I will sorely miss it. The Crown is a hybrid, all wheel deal. I don't need or want that configuration. I don't need or want all of its new technology, etc.
I'll probably just replace my 2021 with one of the last ES 350's made (maybe with a nice rebate) and drive that last "traditionally configured" luxury car into the sunset.
You hit on a number of very interesting topics here... this will be a long post lol

I absolutely agree that Toyota will push the ES as a more luxurious version of that Crown... but this also means making the ES a far more expensive vehicle than it currently is. The Crown's powertrains are a tier above the current ES in power, and I suspect that the Crown will compete against vehicles from other mainstream brands with similar performance like the VW Arteon and Kia Stinger, which are $50,000 cars in top form. The Avalon topped out at just below $50K before its demise, the Crown will be even more expensive than that because of its more powerful engines and AWD.

Meanwhile, the ES in its current form tops out at $55K, a new version with AWD and the top-of-the-line Crown engines will push it well past the $60K realm alongside the 6-cylinder BMW 5 Series and Mercedes E-Class, or at the every least the Volvo S90. The current ES is a very successful car because of its value proposition, offering midsize to fullsize interior space and ride comfort for the price of a compact German sedan like the 3 Series. It's such a good formula that it basically cannibalized the GS to death and is starting to do the same with the LS500, which has an even smaller interior than the current ES.

With the next ES, that value proposition goes out the window, and the ES will have to, for the very first time, compete with the 5 Series and E-Class size-for-size and dollar-for-dollar like what Genesis is doing with the G80. The RX is making a similar move upmarket with its new powertrains, but because it's a crossover, there's much less risk in pushing it upmarket. The RX could hypothetically lose half its customer base with a price hike, but even that is still enough for it to match or even outsell the X5 and GLE. But the ES, being a sedan, currently sells less than a quarter the volume of the RX. It won't have the same sales guarantee like the RX, especially if it's directly cross-shopped with a similarly priced 5 Series or E-Class, or the cheaper Crown.

You bought the ES at a good time, just before it lost its value proposition (and V6).

Honestly though, if Lexus is going to charge $60K+ for a sedan, they should have just rebadged the other RWD Crown sedan as the new Lexus GS (which it originally was!) and killed off the ES. But that's just wishful thinking lol.

Last edited by Motorola; 08-31-22 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-31-22, 02:36 PM
Shaboom
Racer

When all those changes take place, that’s when I bow out. I’ll either by the last current model made in 2024 or keep mine for the duration. My 2021 is showroom new with7500 miles on it. I drive it maybe 4,000 miles/year and it will last me for the duration.
Maybe they’ll be selling this new sixty or seventy thousand dollar ES to the former LS customers. But many 60-80 year old 350 ES customers will not go for it.
Old 08-31-22, 05:30 PM
mikamica
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn, you guys are making me feel older than I am. I turned 50 this year and bought a 2022 ES last December since I gave my Accord V6 to my daughter.
Old 08-31-22, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I was 22 when I bought my first ES lol

ES isn’t going a anywhere.

Quick Reply: 2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe