Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Honda Civic Type R power figures and more revealed

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22 | 05:59 AM
Hoovey689

Default 2023 Honda Civic Type R power figures and more revealed

Honda revealed the 2023 Civic Type R just over a month ago with some preliminary details. Today, Honda is getting much deeper into what’s new and providing a ton of specs to pore over. Plus, there are a bunch of new pics in the above gallery for you to peruse — almost every color available is represented.

To start, we finally have official U.S.-spec power figures from the revised 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. This Type R is rated at 315 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque, representing increases of 9 and 15 respectively. Honda says the extra power and torque comes courtesy of a redesigned turbocharger, intake and exhaust system. The turbo features newly shaped and sized turbine blades, and Honda says that this combined with a better flowing intake enables the turbo to generate pressure over a wider range. As for the exhaust, it features an active exhaust valve that opens up at higher rpm, emitting a louder sound.

In an effort to cool the more powerful engine, Honda says the new Type R features a larger grille opening than before, a bigger radiator and a larger-diameter fan. Enhanced cooling for track use was one of the big targets for the previous-gen Type R’s refresh, so we like to see that Honda has made it a priority right out of the gate with this new Type R.

The only transmission available is a six-speed manual. The gearbox is improved from the previous six-speed with a new high-rigidity lever and an “optimized shift gate pattern” for a “hyper-precise gear change.” It also gets a lighter flywheel and a rev-match system.

Chassis specs and suspension changes are in this info drop, and just like the non-R Civic Hatchback, it’s sporting a 107.7-inch wheelbase — that’s up 1.4 inches from the previous generation. The front track is 1 inch wider and the rear track is 0.75 inch wider than the old R, too. Honda’s magical dual-axis strut front suspension design that makes torque steer disappear is back, but it’s been re-tuned for this generation. The multilink rear suspension is re-tuned, too, and Honda claims these changes in front and rear improve straight-line stability and steering feel.

It’s all riding on new 19-inch matte black wheels that make use of what Honda calls a “reverse rim” design meant to improve the stability of the tire contact patch when under load. These wheels are wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires measuring 265-section-width at all four corners — that’s 20 mm more than before. Hidden behind the wheels are two-piece front brake rotors, and the braking system as a whole is optimized with a re-tuned brake booster. Brake cooling is also improved, and Honda says it’s made improvements in both feel and controllability.

Honda says this new Type R is both more aerodynamically efficient and provides more downforce than the previous generation. All of the aero — like the new rear wing and rear diffuser — was designed with input from development members of the HRD Sakura Super GT racing team.

As for the interior, Honda says occupants sit lower than before, but also claims enhanced visibility thanks to thinner A-pillars, relocated side mirrors and a lower hood. The red sport seats are lighter and feature “suede-effect” upholstery for extra grip on track. Those red seats are the only color option inside, and the same goes for that scorching red carpet. Interior tech is getting a massive boost in line with the regular Civic Hatchback, so you’ll find a 9-inch touchscreen with wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto, a wireless phone charger, a Bose Centerpoint premium audio system, digital gauge cluster with multiple view modes, new drive mode control with a customizable “Individual” mode and an updated version of Honda’s LogR Performance Datalogger.

Beyond all the above details, Honda had nothing else new to share that we haven’t already covered in the car’s initial reveal. That means there is still no price. Yes, we’re disappointed, too. Honda says this Type R’s engine will be built at Honda’s Anna Engine Plant in Ohio, but the vehicle will be assembled at the Yorii Plant in Japan. It will launch in the fall, and Honda says to expect pricing and even more details to be available as we near the full launch.
Source
Old 09-01-22 | 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

This is why the Corolla GR needed a power bump, besides the extra weight over the Yaris GR.
Old 09-01-22 | 07:53 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Going to easily be a 6 figure Civic after ADM's get added. Can't wait to see this crap show.
Old 09-01-22 | 05:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I like this Civic Type 4. Power train is a little more powerful than the Corolla GR which has one less cylinder but awd. I think the Honda walks away from the Hyundai Elantra performance N by quite a bit. Interior of the Honda, I’m not so sure it’s sporty enough
Old 09-01-22 | 09:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

with only a stick offered, i don't think they're going to sell many.
most people can barely drive an automatic.
Old 09-01-22 | 09:49 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They'll sell every single one they make just like the current model, because they barely make any.

I concur that dealer markups will be stratospheric, even moreso than the outgoing model.
Old 09-01-22 | 10:39 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motorola
They'll sell every single one they make just like the current model, because they barely make any.

I concur that dealer markups will be stratospheric, even moreso than the outgoing model.
+1 Too bad, I much prefer this styling over the last one.
Old 09-01-22 | 10:59 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

So true, so true. Smh.
Old 09-01-22 | 11:53 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

I love this, it makes me feel safer when I walk away from my car, as I assume most crooks these days can't drive a manual.
Old 09-02-22 | 04:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

They sold 48,000 FK8 Type Rs, most at WELL over sticker due to the limited production volume. Used ones are currently going for $50k or more. The Civic Si is also available exclusively with a manual, and probably sold at least 10x as many units as the Type R.

Remember, this competes in the same category as the WRX STI, which like the Type R has never--ever--been offered with an automatic. And even in the regular WRX, where an auto is available, 79% of buyers choose three pedals. The Golf R is also competes with the Type R, and has a 50% manual take rate, despite the alternative being a truly excellent dual-clutch unit that no one could be blamed for preferring.
Old 09-02-22 | 09:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

whos ready for the incoming ADM? Guesses?
Old 09-02-22 | 11:04 AM
gor134
Intermediate

I love this new Type R. I can realistically see myself getting one in 2-3 years, but I wouldn't pay any ADM. The changes are basically everything enthusiasts would do for the previous gen, except factory now, so I enjoy it a lot. Not to mention the simpler more mature styling.
Old 09-02-22 | 03:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
I love this, it makes me feel safer when I walk away from my car, as I assume most crooks these days can't drive a manual.
they'll just steal the cats.

Originally Posted by gor134
I love this new Type R. I can realistically see myself getting one in 2-3 years, but I wouldn't pay any ADM.
then i guess you're not getting one.

Old 09-02-22 | 03:08 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

they'll just steal the cats.
It actually makes me a little bit angry how right you are.
Old 09-02-22 | 04:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Looks really good IMO, more mature and slick. Prices are gonna be totally insane for what it is though, like used 911T money level insane....

As far as cat thieves go well.....go ahead? My Jeeps cat is like 300k miles and nearly worthless and anything with pricy cats is inside a garage, and low to the ground.

Quick Reply: 2023 Honda Civic Type R power figures and more revealed