Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick introduces yet another small crossover.....for China.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think MM would really like it
If it drives like most American-market Buicks do (i.e....comfort-oriented, and with civilized underpinnings rather than stiff-sportiness) then the answer is yes, I would like it, although the interior, IMO, like also with the new 2Gen Encore, is not as well-done as on the 1Gen Encore GX I have.

Buick did blow it, however, with the convertible Cascada's standard overly-stiff 20" wheels and tires, which were ridiculous. And, on the Verano, the 45-series 18" tires were adequately cushy in warm weather, but tended to be stiff and choppy in winter, when the cold stiffened up the rubber.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-22 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-02-22, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One other small Buick crossover that we won't get in the U.S. market is the 2nd-Generation GEM-platform Encore, which will primarily be sold in China. Buick marketers decided not to bring it here, which means that when the present Encore is dropped (it has been sold here for almost 10 years), that will leave the Encore GX as the base entry-level Buick here. The Encore GX is a different vehicle (and different platform) from the regular Encores.

This is the Chinese-only 2Gen Encore. It is a little smaller than the new upcoming Envista.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-22 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-02-22, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Makes no sense to sell both the Encore and Encore GX here.
Old 09-02-22, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Makes no sense to sell both the Encore and Encore GX here.

Well, Buick has been successfully selling the two of them side by side, here in the U.S., for the last two and a half years, since the Encore GX came out in spring of 2020. In fact, for years, the Encore was Buick's top seller in the American market, and was the source of a lot of the company's revenue. Encore sales have fallen since the GX was introduced (and the now-dated design doesn't help)...but it is still making money for the division.
Old 09-02-22, 07:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Buick has been successfully selling the two of them side by side, here in the U.S., for the last two and a half years, since the Encore GX came out in spring of 2020. In fact, for years, the Encore was Buick's top seller in the American market, and was the source of a lot of the company's revenue. Encore sales have fallen since the GX was introduced (and the now-dated design doesn't help)...but it is still making money for the division.
They just kept the Encore here until its model run had ended because they had already invested in getting it DOT approved etc. Buyers of the Encore will just buy the Encore GX in its absence. With a new Encore they would have to go through the process of getting it approved for sale in the US and that just doesnt make business sense for them when the Encore GX is so similar.

Remember having all of these models with all of this overlap almost killed GM several times. Its just not necessary or efficient.
Old 09-02-22, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Remember having all of these models with all of this overlap almost killed GM several times. Its just not necessary or efficient.
Buick doesn't have any more overlap with its small crossovers than Toyota does with its C-HR, Corolla-Cross, RAV-4, and Venza, and that doesn't seem to be killing Toyota any. Or Hyundai with its Venue/Kona/Ioniq/Tucson/Santa Fe. Or Kia with its Soul/Seltos/Sportage/Niro/Sorento
Old 09-02-22, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buick doesn't have any more overlap with its small crossovers than Toyota does with its C-HR, Corolla-Cross, RAV-4, and Venza, and that doesn't seem to be killing Toyota any. Or Hyundai with its Venue/Kona/Ioniq/Tucson/Santa Fe. Or Kia with its Soul/Seltos/Sportage/Niro/Sorento
The Encore and Encore GX are way more similar than any of those models.
Old 09-03-22, 11:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have to say. Buick makes it pretty confusing having an old Encore. Encore GX. And a new Encore that is not related to the Encore GX…but both have the Encore name
Old 09-03-22, 11:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I have to say. Buick makes it pretty confusing having an old Encore. Encore GX. And a new Encore that is not related to the Encore GX…but both have the Encore name
isn't that what an encore is... another one ?
Old 09-03-22, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The old 1Gen Encore was a rebadged Opel Mokka. The new China-only 2Gen Encore is the GEM world platform used by GM. The Encore GX is a different platform of its own, shared with the Chevy Trailblazer. And the upcoming China-only Envista is yet another new platform.

Confused? I'm not, because I know the Buick nameplate so well. But I can understand some people being a little perplexed who don't follow the new-car market like we do.
Old 09-03-22, 05:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks are subjective, but i don't think it could be any more derivative and boring.

Isn't "derivative and boring" the Buick brand?

I don't think it's bad. I'm surprised they aren't bringing it to the US. Looks to me like it's about the size of the current Venza, which I see a lot of.
Old 09-03-22, 06:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Isn't "derivative and boring" the Buick brand?
lol, but no. i found the current enclave pretty nice looking, and the encore was unique when it came out. but yeah, they're not radical designs. they're a bit like acura (minus nsx) - premium or 'near' luxury.

Old 09-05-22, 05:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol, but no. i found the current enclave pretty nice looking, and the encore was unique when it came out. but yeah, they're not radical designs. they're a bit like acura (minus nsx) - premium or 'near' luxury.

Buick tried some radical-looking (for the time) designs in the past...and did not have a whole lot of success with them.

Old 09-05-22, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, THIS is interesting...we might be getting the Chevy version of the Envista in North America...the Seeker. It's technically a different vehicle, so I'm going to start a new thread on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-06-22 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-06-22, 06:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That looks great, I would think it would overlap with the Blazer...

Quick Reply: Buick introduces yet another small crossover.....for China.