Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick introduces yet another small crossover.....for China.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Buick introduces yet another small crossover.....for China.

All-New Buick Envista Crossover Makes World Debut In China

Sponsored Links

As GM Authority exclusively teased last week, the all-new Buick Envista crossover made its world debut at the 2022 Chengdu Motor Show, which kicked off on Friday, August 26th.

General Motors introduced the all-new Buick Envista for the first time to the press and the public in China, where the compact crossover will expand Buick‘s utility portfolio as the sixth in the lineup that today includes the second-generation Encore, the Encore GX, the Envision S, the Envision Plus and the midsize Enclave. The company will position it as a youth-focused urban crossover sandwiched between the Encore GX and Envision S.

“The launch of the Envista is part of our strategy to further elevate Buick’s SUV lineup and meet our customers’ diverse needs in China,” said General Director of Buick Sales and Marketing at SAIC-GM, Cesar Toledo, in a statement. “It delivers a more youthful, personalized character of Buick and will attract new customers who appreciate high-end design, confident performance and advanced technologies that will energize their journey in every respect,” he added.

Aesthetically, the all-new Buick Envista becomes the first crossover to debut the Tri-Shield brand’s new Pure Design philosophy, and does so with a distinctive coupe-like body style that gives it dynamic proportions, including a roofline low and a prominent tailgate. It also features Buick’s new front face made up of a large lower grille, a shark nose supporting the new logo, and split LED headlights.

In addition, the new Buick Envista adopts a state-of-the-art interior design with a high focus on connectivity and ergonomics, while becoming the first model to include the brand’s new collaboratively developed Tune Melody(TM) audio system with manufacturer ARKAMYS. At the same time, the Envista is powered by GM’s new turbocharged 1.5L engine that delivers 181 horsepower.

The brand’s official dealer network began the all-new Buick Envista’s pre-sale period simultaneously with the model’s world debut, receiving the first orders on the same day, August 26th. The new compact crossover is being offered in advance in the Chinese market with a starting price of 150,000 yuan, or about $21,880 USD at current exchange rates. At this time, it’s unclear if the Envista will make it to North America.

Source: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/08...ebut-in-china/

Buick decided earlier not to bring over the Encore's new 2nd-Generation GEM-platform replacement to the U.S. (that is NOT the Encore GX which I own.......an entirely different line despite the Encore name). This all-new Envista is currently intended for the Chinese market, but time will tell if it comes to the U.S. later.

Notice.....it uses the new Buick logo. I liked the former one (slightly) better, but there's really nothing wrong with this one...it's clean, attractive, and has the traditional Buick colors.

What I truly didn't like was the old chrome-outline logo without the colors, which Buick pushed off on the American market (and on the Verano) for several years. They knew better than to do that in China...the millions of Buick fans in that country wouldn't have put up with it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-22 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And here is the interior:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/08...sign-revealed/

All-New Buick Envista Crossover Interior Design Revealed

Sponsored Links

Within hours of the world debut of the all-new Buick Envista at the upcoming 2022 Chengdu Motor Show in China, General Motors has just officially revealed the interior design of Buick‘s upcoming compact crossover.

The SAIC-GM joint venture released the first official images of the all-new Buick Envista’s interior, which the automaker formally announced last week in China. The images confirm the preview of the Envista’s interior captured by spy photographers in early July, which uncovered the crossover’s dash configuration with a massive free-form control module as the main protagonist.

Like the exterior, the interior of the all-new Buick Envista is based on the brand’s new global Pure Design philosophy with elegant, flowing lines that maximize the feeling of spaciousness. The dashboard has a layered design and includes a special carved area that supports the large, slightly curved central control module, which is made up of two side-by-side 10.25-inch screens and touch controls like those found in the new Buick Verano Pro.

The prominent, high-resolution dual screens that adorn the dashboard of the all-new Buick Envista adopt the latest evolution of Buick eConnect intelligent networking technology, with a new processor and sensors that increase its fluidity. The infotainment system features a complete evolution in terms of user interface, voice recognition and navigation with multiple OTA remote updates per year.

Cosmetically, the base version of the new Buick Envista features a two-tone black cabin with light gray accents, both on the soft door liners and on the seat trim and stitching. For its part, the interior of the Buick Envista GS has an overall black finish and adds automatic climate control, piano black trim, exclusive sports seats, as well as red stitching and embroidery with the GS logo.

The all-new Buick Envista will make its world debut later this week at the 2022 Chengdu Motor Show, where it will be exposed to the press and general public for the first time. The new Envista will come to expand the brand’s broad SUV portfolio as the sixth crossover in Buick’s portfolio in China, positioned between the Encore GX and Envision S. It is not yet clear whether or not GM plans to market the Envista in North America.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-22 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 09:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

no pics in the threads but going to the links reveals a car simultaneously plain, cheap looking, and hideous inside and out.
Old 09-02-22, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

I don't think it looks so bad...
Old 09-02-22, 07:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
it’s not bad. Looks like a Ford Escape and Toyota Venza style competitor. Not for me. I think MM would really like it
Old 09-02-22, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I see Escape in it for sure
Old 09-02-22, 10:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

All-New Buick Envista Crossover Makes World Debut In China

Sponsored Links

As GM Authority exclusively teased last week, the all-new Buick Envista crossover made its world debut at the 2022 Chengdu Motor Show, which kicked off on Friday, August 26th.

General Motors introduced the all-new Buick Envista for the first time to the press and the public in China, where the compact crossover will expand Buick‘s utility portfolio as the sixth in the lineup that today includes the second-generation Encore, the Encore GX, the Envision S, the Envision Plus and the midsize Enclave. The company will position it as a youth-focused urban crossover sandwiched between the Encore GX and Envision S.

“The launch of the Envista is part of our strategy to further elevate Buick’s SUV lineup and meet our customers’ diverse needs in China,” said General Director of Buick Sales and Marketing at SAIC-GM, Cesar Toledo, in a statement. “It delivers a more youthful, personalized character of Buick and will attract new customers who appreciate high-end design, confident performance and advanced technologies that will energize their journey in every respect,” he added.

Aesthetically, the all-new Buick Envista becomes the first crossover to debut the Tri-Shield brand’s new Pure Design philosophy, and does so with a distinctive coupe-like body style that gives it dynamic proportions, including a roofline low and a prominent tailgate. It also features Buick’s new front face made up of a large lower grille, a shark nose supporting the new logo, and split LED headlights.

In addition, the new Buick Envista adopts a state-of-the-art interior design with a high focus on connectivity and ergonomics, while becoming the first model to include the brand’s new collaboratively developed Tune Melody(TM) audio system with manufacturer ARKAMYS. At the same time, the Envista is powered by GM’s new turbocharged 1.5L engine that delivers 181 horsepower.

The brand’s official dealer network began the all-new Buick Envista’s pre-sale period simultaneously with the model’s world debut, receiving the first orders on the same day, August 26th. The new compact crossover is being offered in advance in the Chinese market with a starting price of 150,000 yuan, or about $21,880 USD at current exchange rates. At this time, it’s unclear if the Envista will make it to North America.

Source: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/08...ebut-in-china/

Buick decided earlier not to bring over the Encore's new 2nd-Generation GEM-platform replacement to the U.S. (that is NOT the Encore GX which I own.......an entirely different line despite the Encore name). This all-new Envista is currently intended for the Chinese market, but time will tell if it comes to the U.S. later.

Notice.....it uses the new Buick logo. I liked the former one (slightly) better, but there's really nothing wrong with this one...it's clean, attractive, and has the traditional Buick colors.

What I truly didn't like was the old chrome-outline logo without the colors, which Buick pushed off on the American market (and on the Verano) for several years. They knew better than to do that in China...the millions of Buick fans in that country wouldn't have put up with it.

\
This new logo is not bad
Old 09-02-22, 10:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
looks are subjective, but i don't think it could be any more derivative and boring.

Old 09-02-22, 10:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks are subjective, but i don't think it could be any more derivative and boring.

I like it. Looks really interesting to me. Sad that the USA does get or design these types of Buicks. All outsourced to China
Old 09-02-22, 10:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Something about the proportions feels a bit off to me.

The nose kind of reminds me of a Mirai.

Old 09-02-22, 11:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I mean, it’s a small Buick crossover. How exciting can it look?
Old 09-02-22, 11:52 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Venza copy-cat. And goodness gracious, they are truly running out of names.

Old 09-02-22, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

no pics in the threads but going to the links reveals a car simultaneously plain, cheap looking, and hideous inside and out.
There are images in the threads, but they may not have posted correctly with the copy-and-paste. (I notice that happens with some of Hoovey's threads, too). Clicking on the links I provided apparantly works for you.
Old 09-02-22, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Venza copy-cat. And goodness gracious, they are truly running out of names.

Not sure, but I think the name is a derivative of the old Buick Invicta of the late 50s and early 60s.

Also, I agree there's some influence from both the Toyota Venza and (a some have noted) Ford Escape, but I wouldn't call it a copy-cat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-22 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-02-22, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

looks are subjective, but I don't think it could be any more derivative and boring.
Granted it's no Ferrari, but, if the truth were known, most small crossovers in the American market are somewhat bland and generic-looking. The few that aren't, like the Toyota C-HR and the now-discontinued Nissan Juke, are, IMO, butt-ugly.

Quick Reply: Buick introduces yet another small crossover.....for China.