Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

can't get kia parts!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22 | 11:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ this says it all
Old 09-02-22 | 11:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

2016 looks good though.
Old 09-02-22 | 12:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
2016 looks good though.
yeah, cuz it’s not yet out of warranty
Old 09-02-22 | 12:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ouch! Warranty or not this type of failure is always really bad.....

This is the Sorento I mentioned before....owner got lucky and it only took out the brake shield and axle. If it happened when he was moving it may have killed him and the car.

Sucks working on it as well since I can't move the car until it's repaired. I'm stuck in the sun 30' outside my shop right now getting a new arm on this side so I can drive it in and do the pass side as well.

Last edited by Striker223; 09-02-22 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-02-22 | 12:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

That has worse rust than my 35 year old Camry that was free. And it is known for rust.
Old 09-02-22 | 01:17 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Is he parking the car over lawn sprinklers?
I bet the rest of the car looks the same underneath.

You can move to Florida or somwhere warm and not have to work on rusty vehicles anymore, except for the snowbirds but many of them have 2nd vehicles they keep down here at their vacation home or come down when it snows up north.
Old 09-02-22 | 03:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
from a business perspective, i see zero reason car (or any) makers should make vehicles that last longer than the warranty period! i know people like yourself love the longevity of your toyota/lexus vehicles, but like most things, i suspect those days are coming to a close.

Originally Posted by Margate330
You can move to Florida or somwhere warm and not have to work on rusty vehicles anymore, except for the snowbirds but many of them have 2nd vehicles they keep down here at their vacation home or come down when it snows up north.
in general, sure, unless their cars are right near the ocean - that salt spray can be brutal.
Old 09-02-22 | 03:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
This is the Sorento I mentioned before....owner got lucky and it only took out the brake shield and axle. If it happened when he was moving it may have killed him and the car.

Sucks working on it as well since I can't move the car until it's repaired. I'm stuck in the sun 30' outside my shop right now getting a new arm on this side so I can drive it in and do the pass side as well.
can't tow it?

you should love all these kias and hyundais, they're a good business for you!
Old 09-02-22 | 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

from a business perspective, i see zero reason car (or any) makers should make vehicles that last longer than the warranty period! i know people like yourself love the longevity of your toyota/lexus vehicles, but like most things, i suspect those days are coming to a close.
The problem with cars that don't last beyond the warranty period for you and me is that they have no resale value. We need people to want to buy our cars in 3-4 years otherwise the cost of buying one or leasing one and driving it for 3 years will be astronomical.
Old 09-02-22 | 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is just absurd The whole POINT of a Toyota is that they last a long long long time. The reason most people buy them is that they don’t break and cost you an arm and a leg later on down the road, that is called value and longevity. If you pay attention to most Toyota buyers, they don’t complain that some of the technology is older or the software is out of date or behind the times. Every single Toyota I have ever had, the controls and ergonomics are easy to use…every single Toyota I have ever had has somehow met (not exceeded) but met my expectations for fuel economy in that they are in the combined EPA range. Only one that did not is my new 21 4R.

So if the above criteria is met, most people will come back and buy another Toyota….they will recommend the Toyota brand. They will maybe pass down their Toyota car to family member (like their kids) so they can drive them. THIS is a pretty good business perspective (as you say). … so this is how Lexus was born…. Aspiring, existing Toyota owners wanted something a little more upscale…gee…pretty genius if you ask me.

I have NO comment on resale values as trading cars in really does not matter to me. But for some, it’s paramount. So what other brand has Toyota levels of resale value?

So somewhere, Lexus decided to do that idiotic remote touch interface …. completely terrible…and garbage. How do I know? Well, I sort of had a Lexus for while that had it…but more importantly, I saw my mother and father own a Lexus ES and that stupid thing was the worst invention Toyota has ever installed in a vehicle. My parents got so fed up…they started to put a Garmin nav in the space where the nav was….so they got even more fed up with the car they traded it in (uncharacteristically) early for a new Toyota. And further, the lack of the dedicated hard button for air conditioning really pissed off my dad.

so above….word of mouth (that’s mine on Lexus). Would I recommend a Lexus? Maybe….would I recommend a Toyota?…absolutely.

BUT. This is a KIA parts thread right? So the OP can’t get the parts for the car….I wonder if that is because many engines are being recalled time and time again….thus parts are maybe hard to obtain right now?

From the word of mouth from my brother, my friends are that Hyundais and KIA are really crappy for lasting a long time and creating long lasting value.

My other brother has a Palisade and just loves it, looks like his passion for Hyundai caught fire as he highly recommends the Palisade

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-02-22 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-02-22 | 03:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Is he parking the car over lawn sprinklers?
I bet the rest of the car looks the same underneath.

No they all just get like that here even at 5 years old unless you buy German or high end Japanese. My 430 at 252k and here it's whole life doesn't have any rust on it so it is possible but you need to pick well.

German stuff just doesn't rust unless you buy the low end cars.
Old 09-02-22 | 03:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

can't tow it?

you should love all these kias and hyundais, they're a good business for you!
It can't move safely so I had them drop it on my lot, I don't want to risk any fender damage/issues at all so if a wheel has lost location control I just work on it where it sits.

I do make good money off of them but I prefer working on nicer cars, as others have said the fact they degrade so quickly after warranty means residuals are HORRIBLE.

Last edited by Striker223; 09-05-22 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-02-22 | 04:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The problem with cars that don't last beyond the warranty period for you and me is that they have no resale value. We need people to want to buy our cars in 3-4 years otherwise the cost of buying one or leasing one and driving it for 3 years will be astronomical.
Yep. I always try and target one owner cars now that I have the skills so that they are something I actually want owned by someone who was good to the car. If your 2017 was for sale now I would have bought it off you since I can now afford it lol!
Old 09-02-22 | 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yep. I always try and target one owner cars now that I have the skills so that they are something I actually want owned by someone who was good to the car. If your 2017 was for sale now I would have bought it off you since I can now afford it lol!
I was always hoping someone here would buy it, it was a good one!
Old 09-02-22 | 07:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I was always hoping someone here would buy it, it was a good one!
Oh I wanted to trust me, it was just too much at the time and I didn't want to overextend myself lol! I know how nice it was, you have it optioned great and super well cared for to the extent I would have had no reason to even inspect it TBH.

Quick Reply: can't get kia parts!