Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

can't get kia parts!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Oh I wanted to trust me, it was just too much at the time and I didn't want to overextend myself lol! I know how nice it was, you have it optioned great and super well cared for to the extent I would have had no reason to even inspect it TBH.
I always find it funny when I trade in a car and they pretend they have to do all of this prepwork on it when we're negotiating on price, I'm like...you don't even have to wash it.
Old 09-03-22, 09:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Been thinking about that crank pulley coming apart like that and thinking I've never heard of that before and wondering what can cause that and I'm still coming up with nothing.
Old 09-04-22, 09:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Car is fixed and parts issues were resolved via special order from my usual parts network. They got me the part late today and I was able to finish it for a Monday delivery, the crank woodruff keyway was damaged though.....

I figured it out and repaired it, I am now strongly beginning to suspect the reason the last pulley was broken was someone had attempted a front main repair and failed to get the key to seat. Reason for this is the behavior of the key when I was trying to get it to seat the first 4 times, it kept wanting to "glide" up and out of its seat and get stuck behind the crank pulley and cam sprocket. I ended up carefully cleaning, cutting and filing the crank keyway and adding a 3 way chamfer to the new pulley to help guide the key into the slot. The first and last .20 inches of the crank pulley are not in contact with the key as installed so it's safe to chamfer that area without compromising integrity.

Customer was informed of the issue and is aware that further repairs invoking the removal of the damper carry extreme risk.....and to never take the car to an incompetent shop again.

New front main

Here is the real issue......the key has about 1-3.5 degrees of movement clockwise. This is not great since if it doesn't perfectly interface with the pulley slot it will be "kicked" backward....

Like this. Obviously this is a major problem, and the same problem I suspect an amateur didn't notice and then tried to tighten the crank bolt. That is likely what shattered the OE unit, that or the unit shattered first. I'm uncertain since the damage caused by the shattering would have made it impossible to put the pulley on without filing and is what resulted in the key alignment issue. They very well may have just been totally incompetent or the part did indeed just randomly shatter.

Fixed.
Old 09-04-22, 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

well done. so crap repair of smaller problem was culprit, not catastrophic part failure?
Old 09-04-22, 10:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well done. so crap repair of smaller problem was culprit, not catastrophic part failure?
Thanks and I'm not sure. It's really hard to make a judgment since it was so screwed up with multiple issues, it could have gone both ways but I almost want to lean toward incompetence to give the benefit of the doubt in favor of the car.
Old 09-04-22, 10:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

I've installed a woodruff key using the crank pulley, tap it in get it started pulley does the rest. Have to back the pulley in and out a few times but it works at least on a Toyota engine. Can't get over how tiny that crank snout looks. Nice job on the repair very few shops would have bothered just said need a new engine.

Pretty sure I'm the only one that has ever bought a woodruff key at my local dealer the parts guy had never seen one before.
Old 09-05-22, 12:06 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

This thread reminds me of a video I saw on youtube last year.
Man owns a very nice shop packed full of imports and he was ranting how he can't find good techs.

Says lots of them think they're good but they can't fix anything. lol
If I can find the video I will post it up just for fun but not having any luck findung it yet.

I think you're right f I understand you correctly, previous tech impacted the crank pulley bolt on with the key not in there right and I'm thinking he hairline stress cracked it and it nuked later on down the road another day when it cracked all the way thru, just a guess tho.