Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaaaaaaag

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 07:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts
Default Jaaaaaaag

I have acquired a JAAAAAAAG

Maximum British. It's even green over white!
Old 09-02-22, 08:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Cool! That should be an adventure lol
Old 09-02-22, 08:23 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 676 Likes on 423 Posts

They are fantastic and generally under-appreciated cars. I’ve owned a few Jags, loved all of them. Genuine character. Monumentally waftable, but they handle. Been on the lookout for a decent X350 XJ. Everyone will tell you they are unreliable, none of mine were (and nor were any of my Range Rovers/Land Rovers.
Old 09-02-22, 08:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

V12 in that generation?
Old 09-02-22, 09:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
V12 in that generation?
In the flagship sure lol!

This is a 2.5 AWD X-type, aka the entry level. My particular car does have some nice options like park sensors in the back and heated seats, it's 1 owner with 94k miles and no dents/scrapes and not even curbed rims. Very good shape overall with only a minor problem....it has a rod knock.

Got a killer deal on it and I'm going to attempt to just replace and clearance the rod bearings, end goal is a winter car for myself since I do not drive the 460 or A8 in snow or rain if it can be avoided. I like these cars a lot and they are very comfortable and great on gas vs my Jeep, they also ride very well IMO so it was a easy decision since I can't lose on cost.

Engines are around $550 and book calls for 22.3 hours to replace and market retail is nuts right now. I could see an easy $8000 sale on this if I decide it's not for me.

I love the wood on these, the interiors are shockingly good considering price and year as far as materials go. Some fit issues exist but it nothing a few NVH kits and time won't fix, I can't comment on road noise or ride yet since it's not safe to drive.

Obligatory. I'll have better pictures tomorrow after I'm back from work and wash it since it's too dirty to really show off.

Last edited by Striker223; 09-02-22 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 08:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Looks like its in great shape!
Old 09-03-22, 09:21 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

This reminds me a time in my life when I worked in North Bay. I would frequent this one restaurant. There was a business owner would come here too. He had a white and a black one. Lol. I was wondering when I would be able to get one myself.
Old 09-03-22, 05:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Got it somewhat cleaned up, still need to do the interior before I post those, strangely as soon as I brought it home the weather forecast changed from a week of sun to rain? Must be a coincidence I'm sure...

Best part of the whole car IMO

Growler emblem is the truck release, there is no release inside I could find. There are many bizarre design decisions like this all over the car....

Seats fold down, actually quite a useful amount of space

Not bad, adjusted to modern money it's almost a $60k car new.

Hoping to hit the top of these ranges, I have no issues doing so in my other cars so we will see...
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Striker223; 09-03-22 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 05:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Looks like its in great shape!
Thanks! It is very good cosmetics wise, I'm actually surprised at the level of general solidity even at this age. There are only three trim pieces I need to address inside and none outside, it's no Lexus of the same year but still quite nice. Clearly superior to most everything that's not a luxury brand from those years and still competitive to modern mainstream
Old 09-03-22, 09:41 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

My neighbor has the same Jag and they use it as a 2nd car and won't sell it.
White exterior with tan leather interior- Real Leather, none of this faux vegan leather nonsense.

They drove us in it to dinner one time as a favor for watching their home while on vacation and I was impressed for such an old car to ride so nice.
I helped him jump start it once and I swear I remember the battery is in the trunk on the right hand side, maybe that was their Caddy, can't remember now.
Old 09-03-22, 10:09 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice! Isn't this the one that was famous for being a Ford Mondeo?
Old 09-03-22, 11:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
Nice! Isn't this the one that was famous for being a Ford Mondeo?
Thanks!

Yeah it is, it's about as similar as a S8 is to a Q5. Same platform on paper but totally different cars in reality, they share nearly nothing except the rear suspension configuration not including the actual parts. Steering is totally different, it's rear bias AWD, totally different suspension out front, massively altered track, wheelbase, and overall size. Engine is on paper a Duratec derivative but again only shares the block, the only ford that really had this engine in any form was the Lincoln LS V6 models and are actually how you should source parts since the Jag box just has a ford box inside and the outer box incurs a 2-3x price penalty.
Old 09-05-22, 02:04 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well I joined the Jag forum, it's going to be my first non-Lexus forum for cars I've been involved in since the Audi forums are "special" and not really somewhere I like hanging out. I'll cross post to this thread when I have major updates/projects or occurrences with the X-type since it seems like it will be staying around, it has somehow successfully won me over on charm alone. These British cars are dangerous.
Old 09-05-22, 04:14 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Striker223
Well I joined the Jag forum, it's going to be my first non-Lexus forum for cars I've been involved in since the Audi forums are "special" and not really somewhere I like hanging out. I'll cross post to this thread when I have major updates/projects or occurrences with the X-type since it seems like it will be staying around, it has somehow successfully won me over on charm alone. These British cars are dangerous.
my wife picked up a 2021 XF-R 15 months ago just before the world of purchasing cars changed, actually getting the car close to 10% off MSRP. I am also a member of the Jag forum, small but helpful group. While this is our first Jag, not my first British car, although that goes back to late 60’s (yes I’m that old!) Triumph TR 250. This Jag is a blast to drive, handles like a dream in the twistys and is a well put together car so far. Best of luck with the new to you Jaguar, I agree they are unique and charming in their own way.
Old 09-05-22, 03:11 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Thanks!

Yeah it is, it's about as similar as a S8 is to a Q5. Same platform on paper but totally different cars in reality, they share nearly nothing except the rear suspension configuration not including the actual parts. Steering is totally different, it's rear bias AWD, totally different suspension out front, massively altered track, wheelbase, and overall size. Engine is on paper a Duratec derivative but again only shares the block, the only ford that really had this engine in any form was the Lincoln LS V6 models and are actually how you should source parts since the Jag box just has a ford box inside and the outer box incurs a 2-3x price penalty.
They made a ton of changes, doesn't feel like they were given a fair shake, since back in the day all the reviewers made some mention of how the car was really Ford underneath. FWIW, I remember test driving this back when it was new and was impressed by the leather quality on the seats.

Quick Reply: Jaaaaaaag