Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-22, 05:07 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's all part of skynet.
Best post I’ve ever seen on this forum. Ever.
Old 09-04-22, 06:21 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's all part of skynet.
Absolutley! Sarah Connor just called and told me so!
Old 09-04-22, 09:17 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 390 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Same as they did with Cadillac, they want to shrink the dealer pool. 2,000 for the number of cars Buick sells in the US is ridiculous.

You are aware that pretty much all the foreign carmakers have said they too are going all electric right? Nobody has any commitment to ICE. Like it or not, the end of ICEs is near.
Show me the article that says Toyota is taking Lexus all EV in 8 years? Even if the customer base doesn't want those power trains. As the posters above noted, this whole EV craze is going to remove 30% of their customers from the pool. People will just buy the last ICE cars, and instead of flipping them every 3 years on a lease roll, will just own/drive them for 20 years. So they better be prepared to make sales from the buying pool that remains. And they also best be prepared for possible government changes that will quash the EV mandates with the stroke of a pen and a couple of court decisions stripping CARB of their power to regulate cars for the entire USA.
Old 09-04-22, 09:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Best post I’ve ever seen on this forum. Ever.
thanks! appreciate it.
Old 09-04-22, 10:41 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Show me the article that says Toyota is taking Lexus all EV in 8 years? Even if the customer base doesn't want those power trains. As the posters above noted, this whole EV craze is going to remove 30% of their customers from the pool. People will just buy the last ICE cars, and instead of flipping them every 3 years on a lease roll, will just own/drive them for 20 years. So they better be prepared to make sales from the buying pool that remains. And they also best be prepared for possible government changes that will quash the EV mandates with the stroke of a pen and a couple of court decisions stripping CARB of their power to regulate cars for the entire USA.
Amen. Couldn’thave said it any better!

Old 09-04-22, 02:32 PM
ukcats
Driver

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

^^^^^^^This.
Old 09-05-22, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
None of that EV nonsense for me. I'll buy the last 350 ES made and drive it into the sunset.
Plenty of other people in the world lol
Old 09-05-22, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And then that 30% of people will die and everybody will drive EVs.

As for Lexus, here you go:

https://www.lexus.com/concept/electrified

Toyota converting engine plants to battery plants:

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...latest-ev-push

Its not about Government mandates at this point, the momentum and investment from manufacturers is all in on EVs. That doesn't get reversed, its happening whether you like it or not. It will be fine lol.
Old 09-05-22, 10:27 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 390 Likes on 265 Posts

Left to itself, EVs would maybe account for 30% of sales someday, at least with current battery and charging technologies. That's why California and the other states, and the EU, have to forcibly ban the sale of ICE vehicles to create a "market" for EVs, along with subsidizing them. If they were so great, ICE sales would collapse on their own - and they aren't. If the mandates are dumped someday, then the automakers will really get to see who they need to produce EVs for, and who doesn't want them. They are going to be in for a big surprise when/if that happens. You can say its just "old people who are dying anyway" - but I have 20 years left of car purchases in my lifetime, that might have been 5-6 new cars on lease rolls that the automakers won't be seeing from me. Total unit sales of autos are already in decline, this EV policy can only take them even lower. That quote above is pretty vague, here is what Toyota NA really thinks about EVs:

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/08/to...option-of-evs/
Old 09-05-22, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Like it or not, EVs are coming. We are on the last ICE generations of many many cars. Soon, you're going to have no choice but to buy an EV if you want a good car. You can say you will keep your car for 20 years all you want, but you're not going to drive some 20 year old completely outdated car while everybody else is driving around in their new awesome EVs when you are used to new cars every 3 years. You will wind up buying an EV too, and you will wind up loving it.

Don't be so closed minded.
Old 09-05-22, 11:55 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Like it or not, EVs are coming. We are on the last ICE generations of many many cars. Soon, you're going to have no choice but to buy an EV if you want a good car. You can say you will keep your car for 20 years all you want, but you're not going to drive some 20 year old completely outdated car while everybody else is driving around in their new awesome EVs when you are used to new cars every 3 years. You will wind up buying an EV too, and you will wind up loving it.

Awesome EVs LOL - they are all crap for the most part.

Also new cars are not always better at all.
I was visiting my brother yesterday and drove my “ancient” M3 with my family. He has a brand new Cayenne GTS - I haven’t had the chance to drive it.

So its a V8 - first thing i try to do is rev it to hear how it sounds. Well it has a fricken Rev Limiter at 4k rpm! Put it in neutral same crap. All dash buttons now are touch screen, there are some physical buttons left like for seat adjustment.

So here is your future performance vehicle - NO fun, digital screens everywhere etc

I went back into my M with beautiful Analog gauges, loud exhaust that i can rev to its limit and no computer controlling what i want to do with my car!
Old 09-05-22, 11:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then since you don’t want any more new cars because old ones are better, what are you worried about?

And 10 years from now there will be many, many incredible EVs. You can drive your 20 year old ICE to your hearts content. I will have me an awesome new EV.
Old 09-05-22, 12:38 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Left to itself, EVs would maybe account for 30% of sales someday, at least with current battery and charging technologies. That's why California and the other states, and the EU, have to forcibly ban the sale of ICE vehicles to create a "market" for EVs, along with subsidizing them. If they were so great, ICE sales would collapse on their own - and they aren't. If the mandates are dumped someday, then the automakers will really get to see who they need to produce EVs for, and who doesn't want them. They are going to be in for a big surprise when/if that happens. You can say its just "old people who are dying anyway" - but I have 20 years left of car purchases in my lifetime, that might have been 5-6 new cars on lease rolls that the automakers won't be seeing from me. Total unit sales of autos are already in decline, this EV policy can only take them even lower. That quote above is pretty vague, here is what Toyota NA really thinks about EVs:

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/08/to...option-of-evs/
Toyota itself seems to be finding every opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to EV adoption, but they've clearly stated on multiple occasions that Lexus will be all-electric by 2030 in the U.S. (2035 globally, probably to account for all their BOF SUV's) and have unveiled definitive models to be included in the lineup. There's no doubt that Lexus won't stray from this path, which if anything is much needed to make their vehicles finally as competitive (powertrain-wise) as their German counterparts.
Old 09-05-22, 12:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hahaha. Good one.
Old 09-05-22, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Hahaha. Good one.

I'll partially-agree, but also remember that an open mind can also let in the bad with the good.

Quick Reply: Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option