Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-22, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

An open mind is never a bad thing. Under any circumstances.
Old 09-05-22, 02:38 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 489 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Like it or not, EVs are coming. We are on the last ICE generations of many many cars. Soon, you're going to have no choice but to buy an EV if you want a good car. You can say you will keep your car for 20 years all you want, but you're not going to drive some 20 year old completely outdated car while everybody else is driving around in their new awesome EVs when you are used to new cars every 3 years. You will wind up buying an EV too, and you will wind up loving it.

Don't be so closed minded.
Bah! Humbug!!
Old 09-05-22, 03:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I was visiting my brother yesterday and drove my “ancient” M3 with my family. He has a brand new Cayenne GTS - I haven’t had the chance to drive it.
So its a V8 - first thing i try to do is rev it to hear how it sounds. Well it has a fricken Rev Limiter at 4k rpm! Put it in neutral same crap. All dash buttons now are touch screen, there are some physical buttons left like for seat adjustment.
So here is your future performance vehicle - NO fun, digital screens everywhere etc
I went back into my M with beautiful Analog gauges, loud exhaust that i can rev to its limit and no computer controlling what i want to do with my car!
you in a few years

An open mind is never a bad thing. Under any circumstances.
nope, i refuse to let that idea in my mind, la, la, la, no no.

of course you're right. wait, is the earth flat? i'm keeping an open mind about that.

Old 09-05-22, 03:47 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't be so closed minded.
Lol, you do realize the crowd you are speaking to? This is the internet for god's sake, they will never admit to being closed minded or wrong!
Old 09-05-22, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nope, i refuse to let that idea in my mind, la, la, la, no no.

of course you're right. wait, is the earth flat? i'm keeping an open mind about that.
I keep waiting to fall off the edge of it lol
Old 09-05-22, 05:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Then since you don’t want any more new cars because old ones are better, what are you worried about?

And 10 years from now there will be many, many incredible EVs. You can drive your 20 year old ICE to your hearts content. I will have me an awesome new EV.
You and I have completely different definition of what is awesome.

I hate new tech, being under someone’s control and going through 5 swipes on a digital screen to turn on my heated seats.
ICE cars will be readily available in 10years still.

Please name 1 car that is better from a user interface compared to previous gen. The new BMW iDrive is horrendous as they got rid of all physical buttons.
Old 09-05-22, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I keep waiting to fall off the edge of it lol

Well, if you ever stop posting, we'll know what happened.
Old 09-05-22, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You and I have completely different definition of what is awesome.

I hate new tech, being under someone’s control and going through 5 swipes on a digital screen to turn on my heated seats.
ICE cars will be readily available in 10years still.

Please name 1 car that is better from a user interface compared to previous gen. The new BMW iDrive is horrendous as they got rid of all physical buttons.
Everybody has different ideas of what’s awesome. Trends come and go, right now it’s screens, you’ll see physical controls come back, has nothing to do with whether a car is an EV or not.

I can name a few, but you’ll disagree so what’s the point?
Old 09-05-22, 07:09 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Everybody has different ideas of what’s awesome. Trends come and go, right now it’s screens, you’ll see physical controls come back, has nothing to do with whether a car is an EV or not.

I can name a few, but you’ll disagree so what’s the point?
Besides Tesla which is a TECH company, none of the other automakers can make a decent UI. BMW had a good thing in Idrive 6 and has been down hill ever since.

Apple Carplay is perfect solution for 90% of ppl. Rest should just be simple buttons for AC, Radio and heated seats.
All these Automakers want to be futuristic but they are all terrible at it. Leave it to Apple.

Everyone wants to copy Tesla so they can do the subscription model that Tesla imposes on their consumers to use their tech! Its all about $$$.
Old 09-05-22, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Some vehicles still let you do it with dash or console buttons, like my Encore GX.

ICE cars will be readily available in 10 years still.
An interesting question, though, is how readily available will gasoline itself be? We could (?) see a return to this..........

The new BMW iDrive is horrendous as they got rid of all physical buttons.
Absolutely. Totally agree that I-Drive was a farce from Day One.
Old 09-05-22, 08:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Besides Tesla which is a TECH company, none of the other automakers can make a decent UI. BMW had a good thing in Idrive 6 and has been down hill ever since.

Apple Carplay is perfect solution for 90% of ppl. Rest should just be simple buttons for AC, Radio and heated seats.
All these Automakers want to be futuristic but they are all terrible at it. Leave it to Apple.

Everyone wants to copy Tesla so they can do the subscription model that Tesla imposes on their consumers to use their tech! Its all about $$$.
none of which has anything to do with a car being EV or ICE

Of course it’s all about money. It’s a business.
Old 09-06-22, 05:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Absolutely. Totally agree that I-Drive was a farce from Day One.
Sorry - buy this is just wrong. The original iDrive was hard to navigate, but BMW improved it over the years to be one of the best systems on the market. I have a '14 with iDrive and it is great. I suspect you haven't driven a BMW in many many years if you still think iDrive is bad.

But BMW is now, for a number of '23 models, eliminating more physical buttons in their new and refreshed cars, making the overall system more cumbersome.

My new X1, when it arrives, will be touch screen only, without the iDrive wheel, and without the shortcut buttons on my 3-Series. While I'm disappointed to lose these features, I'm confident I will pick it up easily. But--every other refreshed BMW I have seen still has the typical iDrive controller, which is very easy to utilize--in addition to touch screen capability.

Last edited by tex2670; 09-06-22 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-06-22, 06:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

iDrive revolutionized infotainment in the industry. Hard to call it a farce lol
Old 09-06-22, 06:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

iDrive revolutionized infotainment in the industry. Hard to call it a farce lol
Yeah, it's generally regarded as one of the best systems out there.
Old 09-06-22, 07:23 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yeah, it's generally regarded as one of the best systems out there.
It was great and I had i drive back from 2008 to my current cars.
Idrive 6 was the pinnacle of the evolution- it gave you the iDrive wheel, touchscreen and physical buttons. The menus were very intuitive and pretty easy to navigate.

The new IDrive 8 is a Huge departure and really a step backwards in name of “futuristic tech”

Quick Reply: Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option