Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 08:46 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Mercedes has said that the next generation S Class will be EV only. Were they lying?

I know you want so desperately for this to not be true, but when a carmaker says they are going to take a big shift like this, they’re going to take it lol.
LOL - my friend come to NYC and go to midtown.
There are a sea of Sclass cars. Where will these things be charging while they sit in traffic 24/7? What about when its cold as hell in winter, icy, snowing etc?!

Life is reality not sunshine and rainbows.
I can want a lot of things but reality usually wins 99% of the time.

There is ZERO chance that next Sclass will be all EV.
Old 09-07-22, 08:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Thats just not at all true. When a company comes out and says "This is our direction, this is what we're doing and where we will be in the next generation" they do that. And Mercedes has ended all their ICE R&D and rerouted all of those funds to EV and battery development, which aligns with what they have said.

Reversing course on this would be a HUGE blunder and it would cost them a fortune as well as damage their credibility as a shareholder organization. Thats not going to happen. The next S Class will be EV. Mercedes also already said what they will do for markets where EVs aren't practical, they will continue to sell the W223 in those markets.

You are all grasping at straws because you don't want this to happen, but it is happening. The industry has shifted and is investing too much in EVs to reverse course now. As enthusiasts, we better get happy about it.
Unfortunately Europe is in really big trouble and they will need to change their 2035 ban on ICE unless they want their whole economy to fully collapse.
The upcoming recession will delay this EV revolution for a decade.

Also China is not able to meet the battery production needed for the amount of new EV cars that these companies are projecting.
Old 09-07-22, 11:01 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Wiping out EV's won't revive the V8. You want ICE to live? Here's how it'll live:

I'd rather an EV than this.
Old 09-07-22, 11:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Wiping out EV's won't revive the V8. You want ICE to live? Here's how it'll live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb76LReIqZg

I'd rather an EV than this.
V8s don’t need to be revived.

They are going strong as i just drove new SL63 amg!

Old 09-07-22, 11:24 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Makes perfect sense to compare an ultra low-volume convertible to the most mainstream car in Mercedes's entire lineup...
Old 09-07-22, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

You are all grasping at straws because you don't want this to happen, but it is happening. The industry has shifted and is investing too much in EVs to reverse course now. As enthusiasts, we better get happy about it.
https://www.engineerine.com/2022/02/...ll-not-be.html

https://jalopnik.com/even-crazy-gas-...-ev-1848976292

Old 09-07-22, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
When they start to see the sales numbers collapsing, they will change their tune fast - or let them all shrink their capacity and get smaller by going all EV, if that's what they want to do. All these automakers think they are Tesla - that they are developing a buyers cult around their products, buyers that will pay any price and not care about value and build quality, etc. Well, they aren't all going to be Tesla, in fact none of them are. There is no pool of untapped new buyers coming into the auto space - a certain percentage of existing buyers are telling the automakers flat out - we will not buy an EV. They can't make up those sales losses by expanding into untapped buyers. Right now their "fix" for that problem is to have government forcibly banning non-EVs from the market - and again their buyers are telling them they will stay in the preowned market for decades if necessary to avoid buying an EV. I guess their next move will be to get government to ban gasoline completely. We will see how long the voters put up with this lunacy.
You go right ahead and believe that lol.

They can't just "change their tune fast", they won't have ICE cars developed to sell.

This is all going to be fine.
Old 09-07-22, 02:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LOL - my friend come to NYC and go to midtown.
There are a sea of Sclass cars. Where will these things be charging while they sit in traffic 24/7? What about when its cold as hell in winter, icy, snowing etc?!

Life is reality not sunshine and rainbows.
I can want a lot of things but reality usually wins 99% of the time.

There is ZERO chance that next Sclass will be all EV.
Then you should go tell the head of Mercedes development he's wrong, because you clearly know more about their future product plans than they do. Mercedes has said their goal is to only sell electric vehicles by 2030. Thats barely 7 years away.

NYC is not the be all and end all of the world, just FYI.
Old 09-07-22, 02:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BEVs would be fine if everyone had easy access to a nearby recharger, and/or did not drive long-distances between recharging. I myself like the idea of smoother and simpler engines/power-trains, along with less maintenance. But, unfortunately, we cannot wave a magic wand and suddenly bring that about...which seems to be what some parts of society are trying to do.
Old 09-07-22, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, they're gonna be fine because everyone has said thats all they're going to sell. So we need to figure that out over the next 10 years or so.
Old 09-08-22, 08:50 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 407 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BEVs would be fine if everyone had easy access to a nearby recharger, and/or did not drive long-distances between recharging. I myself like the idea of smoother and simpler engines/power-trains, along with less maintenance. But, unfortunately, we cannot wave a magic wand and suddenly bring that about...which seems to be what some parts of society are trying to do.
It's going to be fun to watch many of these automakers collapse and go through massive downsizings - who wants an electric Buick? Nobody in the US does, they are essentially killing the brand with this move.
Old 09-08-22, 08:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Then you should go tell the head of Mercedes development he's wrong, because you clearly know more about their future product plans than they do. Mercedes has said their goal is to only sell electric vehicles by 2030. Thats barely 7 years away.

NYC is not the be all and end all of the world, just FYI.
I operate from a point of practicality not what some executive of MB is saying to drive their stock price. There is no charging network in NYC at all, there is no capacity on the grid to charge a million EVs. Its all a pipe dream at this point.

NYC is the center of the world where MB has a huge presence and sells most of their top dollar models. It’s definitely one of their most important markets. We are not talking about Idaho!

Please enlighten me - what is the % of overall MB sales from EVs in 2022? Probably less than 1%. To go from that to 100% in 7yrs would be unrealistic in most optimistic scenario.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-08-22 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-08-22, 09:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I operate from a point of practicality not what some executive of MB is saying to drive their stock price. There is no charging network in NYC at all, there is no capacity on the grid to charge a million EVs. Its all a pipe dream at this point.

NYC is the center of the world where MB has a huge presence and sells most of their top dollar models. It’s definitely one of their most important markets. We are not talking about Idaho!

Please enlighten me - what is the % of overall MB sales from EVs in 2022? Probably less than 1%. To go from that to 100% in 7yrs would be unrealistic in most optimistic scenario.
All those co-op garages where those MB S-Classes are parked with $1 million parking spaces will all install EV chargers with the next assessment. No need to worry.
Old 09-08-22, 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
It's going to be fun to watch many of these automakers collapse and go through massive downsizings - who wants an electric Buick? Nobody in the US does, they are essentially killing the brand with this move.
You are projecting your own biases onto the public at large. Plenty of people will buy EV Buicks.

I would assume that MB leadership has a handle on these things. You should call them up and tell them that they should replace their president with you because you're clearly a lot smarter than him.
Old 09-08-22, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Plenty of people will buy EV Buicks.
Plenty MORE (including myself) would probably buy or lease a Buick hybrid.

Quick Reply: Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option