Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 11:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Meals don't last for eight hours......which is about what a standard charging outlet takes for a low-charge-level EV. A more powerful 400-volt charger might do it in about 20-30 minutes...but they are probably harder to find.

Then you have the question of whether the plugs on local chargers will even fit the ports of the specific EV that you have. From what I understand (although I could be wrong on this), Tesla ports are different from those on some other electric vehicles. I don't think they have been standardized yet in the American market.
Chargers you use when you are out in the world are fast chargers. Almost all EVs now will charge to 80% in about 20 minutes. "8 hours" is when you are plugged into a household outlet.

Stopping on a trip for 20 minutes is no big deal.
Old 09-09-22, 01:17 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 390 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
All those co-op garages where those MB S-Classes are parked with $1 million parking spaces will all install EV chargers with the next assessment. No need to worry.
They are parked in the street all over Manhattan.
Old 09-09-22, 02:33 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
They are parked in the street all over Manhattan.
People who are not local to NYC, think everyone just lives in new condo buildings with wall to ceiling glass windows lol

In reality, most of the buildings are old COOPS especially ones in sought after locations along Park Ave or Central Park.

The new developments along UWS, Hudson Yards, Tribeca account for small amount of overall buildings.

This doesn’t even to take into account all the public housing buildings which are falling apart and have no budget for current repairs let alone installing tens of thousands of chargers.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-09-22 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-09-22, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Most people are not local to NYC, which is why using NYC as the litmus test of what can and can not be achieved doesn't make any sense.
Old 09-09-22, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Chargers you use when you are out in the world are fast chargers.
The fastest Chargers are the Hellcats.

Stopping on a trip for 20 minutes is no big deal.
Depends how much of a hurry you are in. Most of the time, though, I have a fair amount of patience. But it also begs the question, like I said earlier, if charging-plugs will fit different brands of EVs.......at the local Wawa's, for instance, those charging stations seem to be specifically for Teslas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-09-22 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-10-22, 04:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends how much of a hurry you are in. Most of the time, though, I have a fair amount of patience. But it also begs the question, like I said earlier, if charging-plugs will fit different brands of EVs.......at the local Wawa's, for instance, those charging stations seem to be specifically for Teslas.
You always stop somewhere for 20 minutes, and more and more places are installing EV chargers. And yes, Tesla is planning on opening up their network to others.