Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 10:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option

well, well...

GM offers buyouts to all Buick dealers ahead of electric vehicle change

DETROIT, Mich. (WJRT) - General Motors says it will offer all its Buick franchise dealers a buyout option.

The move comes after GM said in June that Buick would transition to sell exclusively electric vehicles in just eight years.

All of Buick's roughly 2,000 U.S. franchise dealers will have to decide if they want to take the buyout or transition with the company, which likely would include some additional investment.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that dealers who take a buyout likely would continue to operate their stores while selling one or more of the other three GM brands without stocking Buicks

https://www.abc12.com/news/business/...2b737dfd8.html
Old 09-03-22, 12:27 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

This should be interesting.
Old 09-03-22, 05:25 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that the majority of the cost of such a transition is outfitting existing dealers with Level 2 and Level 3 chargers, no? I recall reading that many existing dealers require upgrades to infrastructure that feeds electricity to the buildings and thus there is significant expense paid to utilities for those upgrades.
Old 09-03-22, 08:25 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 390 Likes on 265 Posts

Buick is GMs "senior citizen" division - they are the least likely to adopt an EV. They can say goodbye to 60% of their sales once they complete this. I tell all my friends and family now - don't even consider buying an ICE car from any of the 3 US makers. They are abandoning the ICE market as fast as they can, don't give them your money if you want to stay ICE. The Big3 have zero commitment to ICE now, they will produce whatever the US government and the EPA tells them (and subsidizes them) to produce. If you don't want to be a part of that agenda, don't buy one of their cars.

Last edited by lexusnyca; 09-03-22 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-03-22, 08:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Same as they did with Cadillac, they want to shrink the dealer pool. 2,000 for the number of cars Buick sells in the US is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Buick is GMs "senior citizen" division - they are the least likely to adopt an EV. They can say goodbye to 60% of their sales once they complete this. I tell all my friends and family now - don't even consider buying an ICE car from any of the 3 US makers. They are abandoning the ICE market as fast as they can, don't give them your money if you want to stay ICE. The Big3 have zero commitment to ICE now, they will produce whatever the US government and the EPA tells them (and subsidizes them) to produce. If you don't want to be a part of that agenda, don't buy one of their cars.
You are aware that pretty much all the foreign carmakers have said they too are going all electric right? Nobody has any commitment to ICE. Like it or not, the end of ICEs is near.
Old 09-03-22, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

2000 US dealers. Wow! That’s is just crazy to have that many locations selling Buicks. Most are likely just add ons to Chevrolet locations…but still…way to many
Old 09-03-22, 11:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I believe that the majority of the cost of such a transition is outfitting existing dealers with Level 2 and Level 3 chargers, no? I recall reading that many existing dealers require upgrades to infrastructure that feeds electricity to the buildings and thus there is significant expense paid to utilities for those upgrades.
i don't think it's about infrastructure. i think it's about gm trying to get rid of most of its current old buick dealers.
their customer base in the u.s. is literally dying off.
Old 09-03-22, 12:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Buick EV lol what a joke.

A company that couldn’t make a decent ICE vehicle will now be making EVs!

The EV revolution will eliminate a LOT of brands.
Dodge, Chrysler, Buick, Lincoln will all be extinct by 2035.
Old 09-03-22, 12:08 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think it's about infrastructure. i think it's about gm trying to get rid of most of its current old buick dealers.
their customer base in the u.s. is literally dying off.
The whole EV movement is all about $$$.

Companies are getting crazy investment from the Government.
EVs will be simpler to make while costing consumers more money and car companies can easily control these cars through software.

It also allows them to get out of the dealer model.

Its all a win for manufacturers - well those that can survive this change.
Old 09-03-22, 12:27 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Same as they did with Cadillac, they want to shrink the dealer pool. 2,000 for the number of cars Buick sells in the US is ridiculous.

You are aware that pretty much all the foreign carmakers have said they too are going all electric right? Nobody has any commitment to ICE. Like it or not, the end of ICEs is near.
None of that EV nonsense for me. I'll buy the last 350 ES made and drive it into the sunset.
Old 09-03-22, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Excuse me, but I beg to differ. If you consider reliability (the most reliable American-badge), comfort, fit/finish, and something that is IMO pleasant to drive, it's hard to beat their products for the money. Yes, you can beat them...but you have to spend a lot more cash.

Pundits have been predicting the death of Buick in the American market for decades. Hasn't happened, and probably won't happen. In fact, Buick crossovers have reached at least part of the younger age-group of buyers that Buick sedans never managed to do.

Same with Lincoln. Ford simply has no choice but to keep Lincoln....since they got rid of Mercury and sold off Volvo, Jaguar, and Land Rover, Ford has only one upmarket division left.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-03-22 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 05:20 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well Dodge is practically extinct right now....
Old 09-03-22, 05:42 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

The whole EV movement is all about $$$.

Companies are getting crazy investment from the Government.
EVs will be simpler to make while costing consumers more money and car companies can easily control these cars through software.

It also allows them to get out of the dealer model.

Its all a win for manufacturers - well those that can survive this change.
Massive win for them having total control. Soon you will never own the car, just a service subscription
Old 09-03-22, 05:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Massive win for them having total control. Soon you will never own the car, just a service subscription
I agree. I remember the days when a computer NEEDED the owner to physically obtain the software for a new operating system. Now, very easy for Apple to brick my computer or device. Same thing can happen with some of these EVs

Toyota can’t touch my older cars…not sure if they can do anything to my 21

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-03-22 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 06:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
it's all part of skynet.

Quick Reply: Buick to be electric only in 8. years, offers dealers buyout option