Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New M45 for 2005

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-04, 10:35 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by G35_TX
The 2001 was the slowest Q45 ever made. The early 90s was the fastest. The new V8 is very powerful and would run circles around the GS430.
MPLexus301 made a great argument with valid points to back it up and that is all you have to say? "Its powerful and would run circles around the GS 430". R U serious? As he stated weight is an issue but also TRANNY. Lexus trannies are mated perfectly to their engines. One reason why a LS430 with 50 less hp is faster than a Q45.

The M45 will be mated to the same 5 speed, while the GS moves up to a 6-speed. Which means better gear ratios for quicker qccelration times. SInce the GS is the Lexus performance sedan, I am sure they are working hard to ensure it is faster than the previous model.

Which for a short time, was the FASTEST ACCELERATING SEDAN IN THE WORLD!

The M45 will be great GS 430 competiton. GS "killer", we'll see. And clearly, we mod our cars much more than any M/Q as the GS aftermarket has a huge crowd. So after we mod our cars, it will be a moot point.

Old 09-05-04, 11:05 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Xenthar
and how did you see the new m45 considering its coming out as a 2006 model?
Haven't been keeping up on Infiniti otherwise I would have gotten lotsa shots for you guys. It was a black/black. Had a camera in hand . Was heading back from a wedding hearsal through the valet section of a restaurant in Fullerton. Saw the M45 on the back and looked like the pics at Pebble. Figured it was the new 05, but if you say it's an 06 then it would have to be someone close to Infiniti or reporter was taking it for a joyride.
Old 09-05-04, 01:37 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
. . .The M45 will be great GS 430 competiton. GS "killer", we'll see.
I like the new M35/45 better than the new GS both inside & out, & outside of the reported hybrid version &/or AMG/M version of the new GS, I'll pick the new Infiniti over it in a second, but that's just me. I won't bet money on the new M35/45 as a GS "killer" just yet, as Toyota has proven repeatedly that they can successfully sell bland & not so good looking cars.
And if the reports of hybrid & performance versions of the new GS turn out to be true, I doubt the new M35/45 can beat the new GS in performance.
Old 09-05-04, 10:02 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to go too far into the whole Infiniti 4.5L V8 vs. Lexus 4.3L V8 discussion, but I will ask one question. When the fastest time I have seen for the current gen Q45 0-60 was like 6.2 seconds, and the fastest time I have seen for a stock GS430 is 5.6 seconds (you DO know what I'm talking about), how can you even begin to post a comment indicating that the Q45 would "run circles around the GS430"? That's riduculous. That is COMPLETE neglect and ignorance concerning hard FACTS.

Another thing to consider: Toyota and Lexus both have a habit of dropping in a new or updated engine at the refresh of a model. If history repeats itself, the 2009 (man o man that sounds SO far away) GS4?0, will probably be ripping about 320-340HP and 350-370 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel. By then the next LS will be out, which will make it easier for Lexus to organize their lineup. I think that one of the reasons that thus far Lexus has said the 2006 will have 300HP is because they haven't finalized their plans for the next LS. That sounds like a shot in the dark I'm sure, but it'd make sense for Lexus to keep the GS430 at a similar displacement that it's at now, introduce the new LS, and then they could really lay out their lineup from the top, down. I think the next LS will offer the 4.3L V-8 with 300HP/325 lb-ft as the standard engine, and then offer a 4.5 or 4.6L V-8 with 365-380HP, and at the top end a hybrid V8, or a V10 making 475+hp.

Not to sound like a troll, but if Lexus ever offered even 330HP in the next GS, the M45 could kiss it's performance title goodbye. 330HP + 6spd automatic= all other competitors in the rear view mirror.

-Michael-
Old 09-06-04, 09:08 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MPLexus301
I'm not going to go too far into the whole Infiniti 4.5L V8 vs. Lexus 4.3L V8 discussion, but I will ask one question. When the fastest time I have seen for the current gen Q45 0-60 was like 6.2 seconds, and the fastest time I have seen for a stock GS430 is 5.6 seconds (you DO know what I'm talking about), how can you even begin to post a comment indicating that the Q45 would "run circles around the GS430"? That's riduculous. That is COMPLETE neglect and ignorance concerning hard FACTS.

Another thing to consider: Toyota and Lexus both have a habit of dropping in a new or updated engine at the refresh of a model. If history repeats itself, the 2009 (man o man that sounds SO far away) GS4?0, will probably be ripping about 320-340HP and 350-370 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel. By then the next LS will be out, which will make it easier for Lexus to organize their lineup. I think that one of the reasons that thus far Lexus has said the 2006 will have 300HP is because they haven't finalized their plans for the next LS. That sounds like a shot in the dark I'm sure, but it'd make sense for Lexus to keep the GS430 at a similar displacement that it's at now, introduce the new LS, and then they could really lay out their lineup from the top, down. I think the next LS will offer the 4.3L V-8 with 300HP/325 lb-ft as the standard engine, and then offer a 4.5 or 4.6L V-8 with 365-380HP, and at the top end a hybrid V8, or a V10 making 475+hp.

Not to sound like a troll, but if Lexus ever offered even 330HP in the next GS, the M45 could kiss it's performance title goodbye. 330HP + 6spd automatic= all other competitors in the rear view mirror.

-Michael-
Actually MotorTrend tested the Q45 & M45 older model and got 5.8 0-60 and 14.40 96.3 mph in the 1/.4.

And this is what was said about the Lexus gs430.

0 - 60 Acceleration (sec): 6.3
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 14.7@96.6

So I am sorry, but your GS isn't as fast as it seems. These are facts pulled off websites. I actually had no idea the M45 was that quick, glad my G35 is faster than both though :P

Last edited by KrazyLexus; 09-06-04 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-06-04, 09:29 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

But I can't dump 50k large on a new Infinit. When I know next week it will be worth 30k. Goodness, in a couple years, a used one will be an incredible find. Dumping that much dough in a car I want to have the feeling of true luxury and success. Not a nice car.
These are some of my thoughts. After reading several recent threads on Infiiniti vs. Lexus, I've come up with the following conclusions. First, I think the new M45 is a great looking car, except for the tails. But then there's always going to be something about a car you don't like. Is it worth 50k, I think so. Will it hold it's value as well as a Bimmer or Benz, probably not.

Then someone stated that the growing number of Lexus sales will not hurt it's reputation, and I disagree. A few short years ago, owning a Lexus was "like" owning Bimmer or Benz as far as layman's view of car-class hierarchy. Meaning that when you told someone you drove a Lexus they probably would have the same reaction if you told them you drove a Bimmer. Today I don't think it's the same. With so many Lexus's going for under 30 grand in the used market, these are great buys. This also leads to a younger buyer, an increase in modifications (many of which are very ricey), and a nonchalant attitude towards the vehicle itself. Hell, I have more friends with Lexus's than any other brand, and I'm 25. This, I think, brings down the exclusivity of the brand. I'm not saying that Lexus doesn't make great cars, they do. What I'm saying is that within the next few years, if Lexus doesn't bring out something to compete with the European super sedans (ie 745/60) in price, I think the margin that separates Lexus from MB/BMW with grow larger and Lexus will be more likely associated with Acura/Infiniti as far as class goes. Especially with the surge that Infiniti is making.

I know this is a hard topic for you guys to be objective on because most of you are Lexus owners, but you also have to realize that you are enthusiasts who look at a car much more meticulously than the average buyer. Keeping that in mind, with the tremendous popularity of the G35, I think the M will do great among the average buyers and steal many buyers who will be considering the GS.
Old 09-06-04, 09:36 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

This is a pretty good looking car.

Last edited by AE MAX; 09-06-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-06-04, 10:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

very nice car! but call me crazy, i will take RL
Old 09-06-04, 10:53 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by AE MAX
These are some of my thoughts. After reading several recent threads on Infiiniti vs. Lexus, I've come up with the following conclusions. First, I think the new M45 is a great looking car, except for the tails. But then there's always going to be something about a car you don't like. Is it worth 50k, I think so. Will it hold it's value as well as a Bimmer or Benz, probably not.

Then someone stated that the growing number of Lexus sales will not hurt it's reputation, and I disagree. A few short years ago, owning a Lexus was "like" owning Bimmer or Benz as far as layman's view of car-class hierarchy. Meaning that when you told someone you drove a Lexus they probably would have the same reaction if you told them you drove a Bimmer. Today I don't think it's the same. With so many Lexus's going for under 30 grand in the used market, these are great buys. This also leads to a younger buyer, an increase in modifications (many of which are very ricey), and a nonchalant attitude towards the vehicle itself. Hell, I have more friends with Lexus's than any other brand, and I'm 25. This, I think, brings down the exclusivity of the brand. I'm not saying that Lexus doesn't make great cars, they do. What I'm saying is that within the next few years, if Lexus doesn't bring out something to compete with the European super sedans (ie 745/60) in price, I think the margin that separates Lexus from MB/BMW with grow larger and Lexus will be more likely associated with Acura/Infiniti as far as class goes. Especially with the surge that Infiniti is making.

I know this is a hard topic for you guys to be objective on because most of you are Lexus owners, but you also have to realize that you are enthusiasts who look at a car much more meticulously than the average buyer. Keeping that in mind, with the tremendous popularity of the G35, I think the M will do great among the average buyers and steal many buyers who will be considering the GS.
You could have called me and said you were gonna debate here. I would have left my bar-b-que for this...

Old 09-07-04, 12:03 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Very good insight
Old 09-07-04, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This is a pretty good looking car.

What's that silly-looking **** above the clock in the center of the dash ? No....please don't tell us......not an Infiniti I-Drive.
Old 09-07-04, 01:09 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

That looks similar to the i-drive in the Audi A8 which works much better then the BMW unit.
Old 09-07-04, 01:12 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Isn't the trunk lid and the door panels made of aluminum? Do you guys think that's a plus or minus, or doesn't matter?
Old 09-07-04, 01:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by BrickHead
Isn't the trunk lid and the door panels made of aluminum? Do you guys think that's a plus or minus, or doesn't matter?
Aluminum, of course, helps keep vehicle weight down, which improves performance, braking, and gas mileage, but it can be expensive to produce, difficult and expensive to repair after an accident, easy to dent from things like hail, walnuts falling off trees, etc..... and questionable side-impact protection in the doors.
It also requires different anti-corrosion and painting techniques than steel does. Aluminum suspension pieces are often not as durable as steel ones on rough roads and potholes.
Old 09-08-04, 06:54 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

It's a big step up for them. But I can't dump 50k large on a new Infinit. When I know next week it will be worth 30k. Goodness, in a couple years, a used one will be an incredible find. Dumping that much dough in a car I want to have the feeling of true luxury and success. Not a nice car. Do we have time to explain our purchase and why we didn't get a Lexus.
Wow, how soon do we forget. Was it that long ago that the BMW/Mercedes crowd laugh Lexus to scorn and belittled Lexus owners as if we were Ford Focus owners. We are doing the same thing to Infiniti that they were doing to us. Let's try to put our bias aside for a minute. In the past couple of years Infiniti has beaten Lexus in customer service and are nipping on our heals in reliability. These were Lexus' staples that got us in the door. Now it seems that Infiniti is taking the same approach Lexus took, pamper the people and they will come.

You talk about resale value as if BMW's, Mercedes, and Lexus resale values are something special. Let's take a 2001 M5 which cost $80,000+, today you can buy them for under $40,000. That's $40,000 in three years! Mercedes E55, $85,000+, today you can buy them for under $40,000; another $40,000+ drop after three years. Oh let's not forget our beloved GS430, $55,000+, go to autotrader.com and buy one for under $28,000.

Sure Infiniti's resale value used to fall faster than all of the rest but that's not the case with the G35's and the FX's. I don't think it will be the case on any of their future models. The only difference now is the others have a lot higher plateau to fall from.

I personally think the M45 is a beautiful car inside and out. Many of us would have jumped through hoops had this car been the next GS.

Quick Reply: New M45 for 2005