Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

more buttons in the future again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-22, 09:05 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Did it make your butt less or more hot?

So basically the passenger is out of luck her/himself. And s/he would have to press a button. Will the VC control both seats? I hope it leaves your seat alone.

VC is always two step process. You either press a button or call it to wake it up. In some "less advanced" cars you actually don't have to press a button to activate it. It also allows you to record your own phrase so it will recognize its owner. It also knows if it's coming from the passenger and the passenger does not have to press a button. But please don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing for VC.
The seats are individually controlled. By VC or screen icon. You can see the individual icons on the pic I posted.
Old 09-22-22, 09:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
What's kinda funny to me, and this is just my opinion, is, Lexus is a Japanese company, yet an American company, Tesla, employs the classic Japanese minimalist design... Less is more.
Again, just my opinion.
When has Japan had a minimalist design?
Old 09-22-22, 10:19 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
When has Japan had a minimalist design?
Japanese minimalism is inspired by the aesthetic of Japan's traditional Zen Buddhism, and it focuses on keeping life simple, clean, and uncluttered by living with just the essentials.

Japanese Minimalism

There is a culture of everything has its place, there is an order to things. Clutter fosters unnecessary complexity, errors and wasted time. An example I have is, I know of a manager who is in charge of worldwide IT Operations in a major $12B+ Silicon Valley company. Her office and desk are clean and bare except for a notebook. Looks like she has nothing... Yet she in known as extremely organized and can respond quickly ro questions and emergencies. Both superiors and subordinates have followed suit; she has been recognized for her approach to work and efficiency in completing multi-year projects. I also think it helps that she is a very gifted person, so there's that.
Old 09-22-22, 10:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Japanese minimalism is inspired by the aesthetic of Japan's traditional Zen Buddhism, and it focuses on keeping life simple, clean, and uncluttered by living with just the essentials.

Japanese Minimalism

There is a culture of everything has its place, there is an order to things. Clutter fosters unnecessary complexity, errors and wasted time. An example I have is, I know of a manager who is in charge of worldwide IT Operations in a major $12B+ Silicon Valley company. Her office and desk are clean and bare except for a notebook. Looks like she has nothing... Yet she in known as extremely organized and can respond quickly ro questions and emergencies. Both superiors and subordinates have followed suit; she has been recognized for her approach to work and efficiency in completing multi-year projects. I also think it helps that she is a very gifted person, so there's that.
Astonishing how an American compare is compared to Japanese culture of minimalism. Therein I thought you were comparing an American Company (Tesla) to a Japanese company (Toyota/Honda/Nissan)

1972 Toyota Corolla interior.

VC is always two step process. You either press a button or call it to wake it up. In some "less advanced" cars you actually don't have to press a button to activate it. It also allows you to record your own phrase so it will recognize its owner. It also knows if it's coming from the passenger and the passenger does not have to press a button. But please don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing for VC.
Toyota and Lexus is now a one-step process in some instances.

For example:
let's say you are driving down the road and your navigation is operating en route somewhere, you can actually just say "Hey Toyota, zoom out". You do not need to wait for the pause.
other examples are with no wait or prompt "Hey Toyota, find me a Starbucks" No button push.
You can also do stuff like "Hey Toyota, who is the first president of the United States".
Dumb stuff like Tesla "Hey Toyota tell me a joke?"

Audio: (No button and no wait for the prompt)
"Hey Toyota, play XM channel 25
"Hey Toyota, play 98.1"
"Hey Toyota mute audio"

Phone: (no button and no wait for the prompt)
"Hey Toyota, call 222-232-2121
"Hey Toyota call Billy Madison"

Vehicle: (no button or wait for a prompt""Hey Toyota, what is my fuel consumption?"
Navigation: (no button or wait for a prompt"
"Hey Toyota, show me the turn by turn list"

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-22-22 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-22-22, 11:11 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

You don't wonder why there's always "Hey Toyota"? That's step 1. Same Hey BMW, Hey Mercedes, Hello BMW, BMW, or Mr. XYZ.
Old 09-22-22, 11:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

This has to be the worst set up in the history of automobiles

https://youtu.be/sRercwJroBo
LS500 and LC500
https://youtu.be/ONZSOEqkIfo
regarding the LC500 at least (and presumably the LS500 too) there's the climate concierge feature, so 99% of the time you never have to mess with any of that. but then i know you're one of the few that doesn't like automatic climate control.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-22-22 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-22-22, 11:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You don't wonder why there's always "Hey Toyota"? That's step 1. Same Hey BMW, Hey Mercedes, Hello BMW, BMW, or Mr. XYZ.
The Toyota system doesn’t need the prompt. “Hey Toyota mute the radio”. I’ve yet to see MB or BMW eliminate the prompt or push button to summon or activate voice command.
Old 09-22-22, 11:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Toyota system doesn’t need the prompt. “Hey Toyota mute the radio” all in one phrase. I’ve yet to see MB or BMW eliminate the prompt or push button to summon or activate voice command. “Hey Mercedes” then the “How can I help you”.
Old 09-22-22, 01:25 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Astonishing how an American compare is compared to Japanese culture of minimalism. Therein I thought you were comparing an American Company (Tesla) to a Japanese company (Toyota/Honda/Nissan)
Exactly. When I fitst saw the Model 3 interior (especially the barren dash) my mind went to Japanese Minimalism. Where is everything? Then the learning starts. These cars are different, for sure.
I can also tell you, when these cars hit the Valley, you would see frustrated drivers pulled over trying to figure out what the heck they were doing. There is a learning curve and a paradigm shift. Not for everyone! Young people naturally take to the interface. Observing new drivers is half the fun of owning a Model 3.

All in, it is great to see an American company leading the world again, for once.
Old 10-03-22, 03:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

we've discussed programmable buttons... the new g90 has 2 on the steering wheel.

Old 10-03-22, 04:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The Toyota system doesn’t need the prompt. “Hey Toyota mute the radio” all in one phrase. I’ve yet to see MB or BMW eliminate the prompt or push button to summon or activate voice command. “Hey Mercedes” then the “How can I help you”.
You can do that on the Mercedes too actually. At 0:42 he instructs the system to read a text message. Another example is at 1:06 when you can hear the speaker say "Hey Mercedes let's go home" and it begins navigation instantly. :

Old 10-03-22, 04:28 PM
1111GS

I'm not sure why she doesn't think "Hey Toyota" is the prompt. Same with MB and BMW. BMW in addition also allows user to record their own phrase.
Old 10-03-22, 04:30 PM
1111GS

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
we've discussed programmable buttons... the new g90 has 2 on the steering wheel.

https://youtu.be/ystUp4iAigA
That's sweet! That looks like Favorite Button on MB. BMW has (or had) 8 individual ones. Does it show you what it will do when you have a finger over before you press?
Old 10-03-22, 04:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You can do that on the Mercedes too actually. At 0:42 he instructs the system to read a text message. Another example is at 1:06 when you can hear the speaker say "Hey Mercedes let's go home" and it begins navigation instantly. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0j2XIM8k5c&t=42s
Thanks. Looks like there is a few tasks you can do with no wait for the prompt, and some where you can just say the whole phase. The Toyota/Lexus version seems to be ahead. Tesla you musk wake the system where in the Toyota you do not have to.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-03-22 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-03-22, 04:48 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Thanks. Looks like there is a few tasks you can do with no wait for the prompt, and some where you can just say the whole phase. The Toyota/Lexus version seems to be ahead. Tesla you musk wake the system where in the Toyota you do not have to.
Simply push the right hand steering wheel button.

Quick Reply: more buttons in the future again?