Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

more buttons in the future again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-22, 04:53 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks. Looks like there is a few tasks you can do with no wait for the prompt, and some where you can just say the whole phase. The Toyota/Lexus version seems to be ahead. Tesla you musk wake the system where in the Toyota you do not have to.
You don't ever have to wait is my point. If you don't immediately continue with your command it will ask how may I help you. It's listening the whole time after it hears "hey mercedes" and will even use AI to anticipate what your next command may be.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I'm not sure why she doesn't think "Hey Toyota" is the prompt. Same with MB and BMW. BMW in addition also allows user to record their own phrase.
Jill seems to think other systems require a pause after the prompt is spoken. Many don't nowadays, even though must people prefer to wait for the follow up "how may I help you" before continuing with their command.
Old 10-03-22, 04:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You don't ever have to wait is my point. If you don't immediately continue with your command it will ask how may I help you. It's listening the whole time after it hears "hey mercedes" and will even use AI to anticipate what your next command may be..
I think for the majority of tasks, you have to wait for the “how may I help you pause”

Y
Jill seems to think other systems require a pause after the prompt is spoken. Many don't nowadays, even though must people prefer to wait for the follow up "how may I help you" before continuing with their command.
What car brands or models do not have the prompt?
Old 10-03-22, 07:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think for the majority of tasks, you have to wait for the “how may I help you pause”

What car brands or models do not have the prompt?
And I’m telling you that you don’t. These systems aren’t developed like the old ones where they have an expected set of answers that they expect the driver to say. I can use the BMW intelligent assistant the same way.

If you have an iPhone, you may note you can say “hey siri call [contact name] in one breath. I still watch people say “hey siri” and then wait for the system to respond regardless.
Old 10-03-22, 11:42 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

And I’m telling you that you don’t. These systems aren’t developed like the old ones where they have an expected set of answers that they expect the driver to say. I can use the BMW intelligent assistant the same way.

If you have an iPhone, you may note you can say “hey siri call [contact name] in one breath. I still watch people say “hey siri” and then wait for the system to respond regardless.
yep, speech recognition and natural language processing has come a long way. Our home lights are linked to homekit, and you can say something like “hey Siri turn on my bedside light and set the brightness to 25%” without pause and it will correctly parse and execute both instructions.
Old 10-04-22, 12:11 PM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Tesla you musk wake the system where in the Toyota you do not have to.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Simply push the right hand steering wheel button.
Uhm... that's exactly what she meant but you don't call that waking up. Others cars have that button too. So Tesla VC is nothing different only less way to wake it up.

Thanks. Looks like there is a few tasks you can do with no wait for the prompt, and some where you can just say the whole phase. The Toyota/Lexus version seems to be ahead.
You made me curious on how Toyota/Lexus system is ahead of others. Here is what I found. That's so ahead.

Old 10-04-22, 04:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Tesla you musk wake the system
i see what you did there.
Old 10-04-22, 04:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Simply push the right hand steering wheel button.
left on my cars
Old 10-04-22, 05:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i see what you did there.
Hey Bitkahuna….I just knew that would prompt a response
Old 03-06-24, 11:22 PM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

As I said 2 years ago. Buttons are coming back. Or cars in Europe won’t be able to get a 5 star safety rating from Euro NCAP. Hope IIHS follows

The overuse of touchscreens is an industry-wide problem, with almost every vehicle-maker moving key controls onto central touchscreens, obliging drivers to take their eyes off the road and raising the risk of distraction crashes. New Euro NCAP tests due in 2026 will encourage manufacturers to use separate, physical controls for basic functions in an intuitive manner, limiting eyes-off-road time and therefore promoting safer driving.”

https://www.motor1.com/news/711128/e...e-buttons/amp/

Old 03-07-24, 01:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
As I said 2 years ago. Buttons are coming back. Or cars in Europe won’t be able to get a 5 star safety rating from Euro NCAP. Hope IIHS follows

The overuse of touchscreens is an industry-wide problem, with almost every vehicle-maker moving key controls onto central touchscreens, obliging drivers to take their eyes off the road and raising the risk of distraction crashes. New Euro NCAP tests due in 2026 will encourage manufacturers to use separate, physical controls for basic functions in an intuitive manner, limiting eyes-off-road time and therefore promoting safer driving.”

https://www.motor1.com/news/711128/e...e-buttons/amp/
I'll believe it when I see it. Right now the trend in the U.S. is to get as much on the screen as possible.
Old 03-07-24, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'll believe it when I see it. Right now the trend in the U.S. is to get as much on the screen as possible.
This trend is starting to reverse
Old 03-07-24, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i think it will be a middle ground... some buttons, mostly screens. my ioniq 5 is pretty perfect in this regard although i really don't like touch screens in cars.
Old 03-07-24, 07:40 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 661 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This trend is starting to reverse
Yeah, Tesla is now adding buttons for turn signals on the Model 3.
Old 03-07-24, 07:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

i think it will be a middle ground... some buttons, mostly screens. my ioniq 5 is pretty perfect in this regard although i really don't like touch screens in cars.
Right, it will be buttons for hard items you interact with a lot and the rest screens which makes sense.
Old 03-07-24, 10:20 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know I'm biased since I own it, but the interior in my Pre-LCI X3 M40i is pretty good in this regard. I have a touch screen, full screen CarPlay, a digital gauge cluster but I still have physical buttons for seat and steering wheel heaters, traction control, drive modes, climate control, and even turn signals (lol).

So long as the B58 motor in my car doesn't grenade itself, I'm likely going to keep this car long term. Maintenance has been pretty affordable since I do my own work.

Quick Reply: more buttons in the future again?