Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

more buttons in the future again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 01:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Another problem with screens (and I have had this happen a number of times) is, if your finger is on or near the screen and the vehicle hits a bump or jitters a little, your finger can end up hitting the wrong icon inadvertently and activating something you don't want. That is much less likely to happen with buttons that you have to actually push, although I agree with Steve that some buttons can be very flimsy or poorly-designed.
Old 03-09-24, 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Another problem with screens (and I have had this happen a number of times) is, if your finger is on or near the screen and the vehicle hits a bump or jitters a little, your finger can end up hitting the wrong icon inadvertently and activating something you don't want. That is much less likely to happen with buttons that you have to actually push, although I agree with Steve that some buttons can be very flimsy or poorly-designed.
Yep, happens all the time...This is one big reason why I prefer a controller for the screen vs the touchscreen.
Old 03-09-24, 04:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yep, happens all the time...This is one big reason why I prefer a controller for the screen vs the touchscreen.
Depends on how well the controller is designed. Lexus, for example, used a mouse-type controller for years that almost no one liked. If your finger could accidentally hit the wrong icon-symbol on the touch-screen when the vehicle hits a bump, it could also accidentally click the wrong icon on the screen when the vehicle hits a bump with the mouse-controller.

Old 03-09-24, 04:12 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Depends on how well the controller is designed. Lexus, for example, used a mouse-type controller for years that almost no one liked. If your finger could accidentally hit the wrong icon-symbol on the touch-screen when the vehicle hits a bump, it could also accidentally click the wrong icon on the screen when the vehicle hits a bump with the mouse-controller.

If you have to take a hand off the wheel to use a mouse and look at a screen, I say FAIL. Lol
Old 03-09-24, 04:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I had 3 Lexuses with this controller and it worked fine. Mercedes and BMWs systems are better but I would take the Lexus RTC over a touchscreen.

Bumps and hitting the wrong thing was a non issue.

Originally Posted by Margate330
If you have to take a hand off the wheel to use a mouse and look at a screen, I say FAIL. Lol
The screen is up high in the dash and that’s the whole point, you can look at the screen briefly without taking your eyes down off the road for as long as a lower screen while you try and find buttons.
Old 03-09-24, 04:34 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

BMW's is incredibly easy to use. Very natural when your arm is resting on the center armrest.

Old 03-09-24, 05:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,229 Likes on 914 Posts

That system actually has variable stick resistance that "soft locks" into options on screen and allows a toggle effect. It's very accurate and underrated IMO
Old 03-09-24, 09:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
That system actually has variable stick resistance that "soft locks" into options on screen and allows a toggle effect. It's very accurate and underrated IMO
That doesn't sound too bad.

I was trying to imagine a mouse cursor moving all over the screen and trying to click something while driving.

Even still, I have to try it to see if I like it.
Old 03-09-24, 09:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

That doesn't sound too bad.

I was trying to imagine a mouse cursor moving all over the screen and trying to click something while driving.

Even still, I have to try it to see if I like it.
Its quite good in actual practice, I was surprised when I tried it the first time since I was expecting a train wreck.

In a lot of ways it's better than the MMI system in the Audis because you don't need to menu scroll and can instead directly "point" at what you want. The downside is the MMI allows very defined button sequences (for example: car button, three rotational clicks left or right of the main button, then a click to do into the sportiest settings) that can be done blind and near instantly at any speed
Old 03-10-24, 06:13 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

GM does it right with the trucks.... redundant back up buttons for virtually everything.

There's nothing I can think of that you have to dig in the screen to use in the Denali, other than setting the vibrating seat for alerts, headlight timer, etc. but all that's on by default anyway.
Old 03-10-24, 07:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Totally utterly wrong. You can easily physically index exactly where you hand/fingers are and hit the button without even looking. I can use the center stack in my D4s to adjust anything I want off pure touch and knowing the menu layouts or what button does what.....at 90 through curves.

You can never do that with screens
Yeah, sure, whatever. It's not distracting at all dragging your finger along a row of buttons and counting in your head and remembering the order of all these buttons.

Old 03-10-24, 09:16 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yeah, sure, whatever. It's not distracting at all dragging your finger along a row of buttons and counting in your head and remembering the order of all these buttons.

No it's literally not. Can you not physically index your hand?
Old 03-10-24, 09:42 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670

If I was to upgrade my RX330 to this Porsche today, I would totally be ok with it. Haha

Oh yeah, button me up, it's ok. 🛳️. 💬. 🚁.
Old 03-10-24, 09:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I was to upgrade my RX330 to this Porsche today, I would totally be ok with it. Haha

I would be ok with it too; but that doesn't mean that there's room to streamline all those buttons.
Old 03-10-24, 12:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Same here. Too many features on a screen really sucks. Buttons are superior!!!

Quick Reply: more buttons in the future again?