Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

more buttons in the future again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
you have a German car…they becomes a PITA at some point. (America cars too) My brothers BMW has been a constant nuisance. But hasn’t left him stranded
canned virtue-signaling response #4. i know lots of people who have very old "german" cars, love them, expect to put a chunk in now and then (because they're complex and well built, but even well built things fail eventually) but in no way do they consider them a "PITA". even your older 4runner's had a chunk of issues in recent years, yes?
Old 03-18-24, 09:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd rather have something that's fun and engaging to drive, even if it requires a little more maintenance, than 90% of Toyota's boring fleet.
Old 03-18-24, 10:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
canned virtue-signaling response #4. i know lots of people who have very old "german" cars, love them, expect to put a chunk in now and then (because they're complex and well built, but even well built things fail eventually) but in no way do they consider them a "PITA". even your older 4runner's had a chunk of issues in recent years, yes?
‘sure. But my brothers BMW is just nagging him. My closest word of mouth example. 11 years old now. I think he is now using cheap aftermarket parts now, he does maintain it at an independent.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-18-24 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-18-24, 10:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Stock Mercedes gas caps are pretty solid and hefty, way more than in the Lexuses. That's why I was surprised it threw a CEL and I needed another one.
they have a slightly different mechanism of operation though... toyota/lexus does the 'tighten until clicks', opposed to the single half turn of the benzes

i prefer how toyota does it tbh, makes it just slightly easier to be certain the cap is seated properly
Old 03-19-24, 05:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

‘sure. But my brothers BMW is just nagging him. My closest word of mouth example. 11 years old now. I think he is now using cheap aftermarket parts now, he does maintain it at an independent.
using cheap aftermarket parts could contribute to the 'nagging'. examples of problems he's had with it?
Old 03-19-24, 05:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Has your brother considered getting a different car?
Old 03-19-24, 05:27 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
they have a slightly different mechanism of operation though... toyota/lexus does the 'tighten until clicks', opposed to the single half turn of the benzes

i prefer how toyota does it tbh, makes it just slightly easier to be certain the cap is seated properly
A few years into ownership of my RX 350 the gas cap stopped clicking when I tightened it. Never had any problems with check engine lights pertaining to the gas cap though.
Old 03-19-24, 06:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
using cheap aftermarket parts could contribute to the 'nagging'. examples of problems he's had with it?
His newer parts and repairs haven’t failed him yet. I think the OEM is likely too high in cost to repair when looking at the value of the car
Old 03-19-24, 07:05 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

His newer parts and repairs haven’t failed him yet. I think the OEM is likely too high in cost to repair when looking at the value of the car
OE parts (BMW-branded) are often quite expensive. But OEM (same part made by the same manufacturer, but without the BMW logo on it) are often available at far less cost. For one example, a complete front suspension for his car, consisting of upper and lower control arms, tie rods, boots, sway bar end links, and associated hardware is available as:

BMW Original Equipment, for $1254
OEM Lemforder, for $479

The parts are identical, made in the same factory by the same workers and machines. The bags they go into have different stickers put on them before they are shipped out. There are other brands available of course, but the savings is going to be in the "tens of dollars" range for the whole shebang, not $800 like shifting from OE to OEM.
Old 03-19-24, 08:23 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

I like the MB one, it feels way more substantial. There might as well be a warning that says anything under 91 octane will seize the engine, just on the cap.

Surely to God a NA M113 could handle a tank of regular? It's just a SOHC 3 valve but yes I assume it has a high compression. Not that I'm going to do that lol.
Old 03-19-24, 08:27 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 934 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I'd rather have something that's fun and engaging to drive, even if it requires a little more maintenance, than 90% of Toyota's boring fleet.
And your reason for postiing this on what you know is an entire forum of Lexus owners was... what again, exactly?
Old 03-19-24, 08:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
And your reason for postiing this on what you know is an entire forum of Lexus owners was... what again, exactly?
This is car chat, so people posting here are less likely to currently own a Lexus/Toyota vehicle.
Old 03-19-24, 09:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
OE parts (BMW-branded) are often quite expensive. But OEM (same part made by the same manufacturer, but without the BMW logo on it) are often available at far less cost. For one example, a complete front suspension for his car, consisting of upper and lower control arms, tie rods, boots, sway bar end links, and associated hardware is available as:

OEM Lemforder, for $479

The parts are identical, made in the same factory by the same workers and machines. The bags they go into have different stickers put on them before they are shipped out. There are other brands available of course, but the savings is going to be in the "tens of dollars" range for the whole shebang, not $800 like shifting from OE to OEM.
I seriously doubt OEM is too expensive since I've always found the Germans I have both FAR easier to acquire OEM parts that are clearly the correct ones and more accessible than Toyota/Lexus.

As above it's very easy to find out exactly who makes what where with the Germans, Lexus involved me having to buy every single control arm on the market and compare casting marks to try and glean who actually makes the stupid things. Oh and other OEM sources for Lexus cost MORE than any of my Germans by around 30-40% and is one of the primary reasons it's cheaper for me to own them vs the LS460/430

So no. German is cheaper for parts across the board if looking for factory quality parts and you van actually get them easily.
Old 03-19-24, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
......................So we can assume that the Supra is in that non-boring 10%?

Old 03-19-24, 10:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29

OEM Lemforder, for $479

Interesting the recommendation is to replace all 10 parts in the kits at 80K if still running original parts

Quick Reply: more buttons in the future again?