Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

more buttons in the future again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 11:06 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

New gas cap! Old one was throwing a code. It’s heavy and substantial.

Old 03-19-24, 11:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
And your reason for postiing this on what you know is an entire forum of Lexus owners was... what again, exactly?
Like Mike said, this is Car Chat, it isn't Lexus focused.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
......................So we can assume that the Supra is in that non-boring 10%?
The Supra is a BMW lol
Old 03-19-24, 11:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
New gas cap! Old one was throwing a code. It’s heavy and substantial.

Do you run premium fuel?
Old 03-19-24, 11:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Interesting the recommendation is to replace all 10 parts in the kits at 80K if still running original parts
I did mine at about 100k but yeah. The way BMW achieves that great balance of handling and ride comfort is highly dependent on the balljoints and rubber bushings in those suspension arms. They degrade as the miles rack up and don't provide the same level of control. Replacing the arms as complete units is both cheaper and less work than only replacing the bushings/balljoints in them.
Old 03-19-24, 11:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I did mine at about 100k but yeah..
What does it cost to both the front and rear? Parts and labour ?
Old 03-19-24, 11:26 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Interesting the recommendation is to replace all 10 parts in the kits at 80K if still running original parts
It returns the insane sharpness when the car was new. They don't clunk/rattle like a 60k mile LS460 does but it's not as sharp.
Old 03-19-24, 11:27 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Rear lasts far longer, $1200 vs $2300 for an LS460
Old 03-19-24, 11:43 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

I spent about $1300 in 2019, which broke down thusly:

$521 front control arms, tie rods, end links, and hardware
$558 for Koni special active shocks for all 4 corners
$215 for shock/strut hardware (shock mounts, bump stops, boots, bolts, gaskets, etc)

Obviously you didn't ask about shocks, but I wanted to do them "while I was in there" so I listed them out anyway. That's including tax and shipping, but not labor, which was free because I did it in my garage. I actually have all of the rear parts here right now, which were $630 including tax and shipping. My son is going to install them at school tomorrow.

For just the suspension arms front and rear (so excluding the shocks) this is about $1150 in parts, delivered. If I had to guess, my local indy would charge me 4-5 hours for the work (185/hr if you supply parts), so call it $900. About 2 grand all-in. Next time the parts will be free-ish.
Old 03-19-24, 11:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
This is car chat, so people posting here are less likely to currently own a Lexus/Toyota vehicle.
This is a good reminder. Here is the description of Car Chat:
"Car ChatGeneral discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news."
Old 03-19-24, 11:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Do you run premium fuel?
Oh yeah nothing but 93 gas, I even only use Exxon. I maybe baby the car too much.

Don't do anything you're not supposed to in a (an old) Mercedes... that's a good rule of thumb haha.

LX570 would probably run on Jack Daniels cut with ethanol yet it asks for premium too. Never seen a drop over 87 lol.

Sparks have flied jumping the LS430 backwards (thank you, honey), the car hiccuped and went haywire gauges, electronics, and all.. Restarted it and it was fine, this was over 2 years ago. It's just stupid how reliable Toyota is.

Don't expect that with a used Benz lol. (duh)
Old 03-19-24, 12:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I’ll ask this thread get back on topic please with one reminder. Yes this forum is car chat and for all brands. Folks reading and posting here should expect to have a higher tolerance for all sorts of make comments, both positive and negative.

However I will post an excerpt from the sticky at the top of this forum
I will remind all members that Club Lexus is first and foremost a LEXUS forum and if your primary purpose here on CL is to constantly disparage the brand that draws our membership together we will ask you to leave our forum.
There are a few folks here that go out of their way to constantly post negative Lexus & Toyota commentary. There is also a fair amount of repeating the same negative comment that has already been said many, many times by the same members which can result in a pretty unwelcoming environment for the many Lexus owners and enthusiasts who do wander into Car Chat.

My ask here is if you’ve already passed along an opinion on the brand that brought most of us here to Club Lexus, consider you’ve already been heard and give it a break instead of repeating it in every thread. For example, ask if adding a “90% is boring” comment actually adds any value to your post related to the topic being discussed or does your comment standalone just fine without the jab.

Anyone who wants to discuss this feel free to pm me, so we can get this thread back on topic please

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-19-24 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-19-24, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Supra is a BMW lol

It's a BMW/Toyota hybrid, with input/design from both companies, but sold under the Toyota nameplate.
Old 03-19-24, 12:43 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
And your reason for postiing this on what you know is an entire forum of Lexus owners was... what again, exactly?
I joined this forum when I owned an LS400. I'm just as welcome here as you are, and my post was a response to a series of constant implications by a particular user that Toyota is the only brand worth owning.

Back on topic, the cars that have everything buried in screens are going to age very poorly. I think of family and friends who buy cars that are 10 years old at the newest. Their options are going to be a lot more limited in 10 years.

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 03-19-24 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-19-24, 12:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's a BMW/Toyota hybrid, with input/design from both companies, but sold under the Toyota nameplate.
The Supra is a rebadged BMW. It’s not even manufactured by BMW, they outsourced it to a third party. Financially it was a pretty smart idea

Originally Posted by geko29
. My son is going to install them at school tomorrow.
That’s a nice perk

Back on topic, the cars that have everything buried in screens are going to age very poorly. I think of family and friends who buy cars that are 10 years old at the newest. Their options are going to be a lot more limited in 10 years.
And why would they age poorly because everything is buried in a screen?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-19-24 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-19-24, 01:05 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

The Supra is a rebadged BMW. It’s not even manufactured by BMW, they outsourced it to a third party. Financially it was a pretty smart idea
The germans do use Magna Steyr for production overflow. Going to BMW was absolutely a smart idea for Toyota, as the cost to engineer an all new RWD sedan with what would have been a low volume I6 if it was a Toyota unit, would have been insane vs the return.

And why would they age poorly because everything is buried in a screen?
The progression of technology. Pick up a 5-10 year old smartphone, they feel ancient. Get in a car from the late 2000's/early 2010's with a touchscreen, it seems old and crappy.

And that's assuming the screen hasn't outright failed. Now you can't do anything with it. If you're on a budget, you might not be able to afford/justify replacing the system. Just one of several ways in which cars are becoming less accessible for people with lower incomes.

Quick Reply: more buttons in the future again?