Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

more buttons in the future again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 01:05 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
The Supra is a rebadged BMW. It’s not even manufactured by BMW, they outsourced it to a third party. Financially it was a pretty smart idea
Agreed 100%. If not for that collaboration, there would be no G29 Z4 or A90 Supra. Both cars exist solely because they share the platform.

That’s a nice perk
His car now, his problem. Of course I would help him do it at home, but he can start it in his Autos class, has Auto club after school, and if for some reason he doesn't finish then, the Independent Study group can wrap it up on Thursday.
Old 03-19-24, 02:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
And that's assuming the screen hasn't outright failed. Now you can't do anything with it. If you're on a budget, you might not be able to afford/justify replacing the system. Just one of several ways in which cars are becoming less accessible for people with lower incomes.
Yeah, good point but most last a very long time that you speak of, the less complex the better. I don't know anyone personally who has had to replace something like that, not that they don't exist...

But I fully expect my LX570s early 2000s graphics screen to last the life of the vehicle.
Old 03-19-24, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Honestly nowadays screens from all makes are really reliable...
Old 03-19-24, 07:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

. Just one of several ways in which cars are becoming less accessible for people with lower incomes.
I dunno. I think when the economy eventually downturns or if there is a crash, we will some really cheap new cars. Gas cars as gas prices will tank. It is coming. And they will be pure gas. The current car will drop in value huge. I have two vehicles with a screen and two without.. I enjoy the ones with no screens.

This is perfect IMO .

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honestly nowadays screens from all makes are really reliable...

‘I guess the little radio screen or the HVAC or both could fail. Then what? So you could be right, but probably not haha But yeah reliability will eventually get better.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-19-24 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-19-24, 07:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I dunno. I think when the economy eventually downturns or if there is a crash, we will some really cheap new cars. Gas cars as gas prices will tank. It is coming. And they will be pure gas. The current car will drop in value huge. I have two vehicles with a screen and two without.. I enjoy the ones with no screens.
People have been predicting economic downturns and "crashes" for years. We just don't have anything like that on the horizon.

This is perfect IMO .
You just can't control all of the features in a modern high end car with that kind of interface. The seat options in my car alone there is no way you could control them, plus no navigation or infotainment interface, I wouldn't want to go back to that

‘I guess the little radio screen or the HVAC or both could fail. Then what? So you could be right, but probably not haha
Those screens actually very commonly fail and are pretty annoying:

Old 03-19-24, 08:25 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

I'd rather have something that's fun and engaging to drive, even if it requires a little more maintenance, than 90% of Toyota's boring fleet.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
......................So we can assume that the Supra is in that non-boring 10%?
Like Mike said, this is Car Chat, it isn't Lexus focused.

The Supra is a BMW lol
1) LC500
2) BMW Supra

are the two cars on my short list of next vehicle. I like the NA V8 for its simplicity and should be reliable but the B58 in the Supra will require little more attention especially once you start modding it. The LC I would leave stock but the Supra would see mods after 500-600 miles on the odometer!!
Old 03-19-24, 08:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

This is perfect IMO .

‘I guess the little radio screen or the HVAC or both could fail. Then what? So you could be right, but probably not haha But yeah reliability will eventually get better.
I had those little LCD screens like that in my LS400 and they had failed completely by the time I owned the car. Same for my parents' LS400.

Old 03-19-24, 08:44 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

This is perfect IMO .

Simple and tasteful.

I like it.
Old 03-19-24, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I’ll ask this thread get back on topic please with one reminder.

The germans do use Magna Steyr for production overflow. Going to BMW was absolutely a smart idea for Toyota, as the cost to engineer an all new RWD sedan with what would have been a low volume I6 if it was a Toyota unit, would have been insane vs the return.
The Supra is a rebadged BMW. It’s not even manufactured by BMW, they outsourced it to a third party. Financially it was a pretty smart idea
Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
1) LC500
2) BMW Supra

are the two cars on my short list of next vehicle. I like the NA V8 for its simplicity and should be reliable but the B58 in the Supra will require little more attention especially once you start modding it. The LC I would leave stock but the Supra would see mods after 500-600 miles on the odometer!!
ok let's let the general car opinions go here, thanks.

Old 03-19-24, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i think of all the cars i've owned/leased, i enjoyed my 2000 gs400 combo of buttons and screen the best. oh and i loved the 2018 genesis g90 controls. but i know those days are over.

i do like how more stuff is on the steering wheels now (cruise, audio, phone, etc). my jeep grand cherokee though had 22 buttons on the steering wheel, on the front AND the back which was a bit much

as far as other buttons my santa fe had too many, and my ioniq 5 is a fairly good balance of touch buttons, physical buttons, and the screen (and steering wheel). the ioniq volume control is tiny, but i can also raise/lower from the steering wheel.

i use voice controls on the ioniq more than any car before, probably because it works reliably, fast, and recognizes a lot of things.
Old 03-20-24, 03:50 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

People have been predicting economic downturns and "crashes" for years. We just don't have anything like that on the horizon.
We might, or we might not...the one incontrovertible thing about the economy and the market is that it refuses to neatly fit anyone's model. But you're totally right. As the saying goes "Economists have predicted 73 of the last 2 market crashes."
Old 03-20-24, 05:41 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The progression of technology. Pick up a 5-10 year old smartphone, they feel ancient. Get in a car from the late 2000's/early 2010's with a touchscreen, it seems old and crappy.

And that's assuming the screen hasn't outright failed. Now you can't do anything with it. If you're on a budget, you might not be able to afford/justify replacing the system. Just one of several ways in which cars are becoming less accessible for people with lower incomes.
The screen in my 2010 GS still functions perfectly fine, and does everything I need it to do, mostly display climate, and audio functions. And I actually like the frutiger aero graphics. Lol I don’t need a 4k OLED display covering up my dashboard.

Old 03-20-24, 06:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

this video shows perfectly how all touch everything and nested menus etc. is a disaster.

Old 03-20-24, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And BMW is one of the better companies at it!
Old 03-20-24, 06:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the car in harry's video is a nice dark blue, but in lighter colors the shiny plastic lower parts is HIDEOUS.

Quick Reply: more buttons in the future again?