Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

more buttons in the future again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 07:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The carmakers just need to give up and fully integrate the phones, the solution has been staring them in the face but they keep stubbornly trying to resist it.
Why? Just don't try too hard and don't make things so needlessly complicated The cars with no screens have no issues. Phones need to STAY OUT of cars.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-14-22 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-14-22, 08:00 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
VC can be done incredibly well, look at Siri, Alexa, Google, its just not there in cars yet.
Are you not able to use Siri/Alexa in your MB?
Old 09-14-22, 08:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why? Just don't try too hard and don't make things so needlessly complicated The cars with no screens have no issues. Phones need to STAY OUT of cars.
Phones will not stay out of cars. Everyone has a phone with them at all times. So (1) failing to integrate the phone will just lead to more people trying to actually manipulate their phone while driving, and (2) car companies trying to replicate the tech that already exists and can easily be integrated into the car is a waste of time, money and energy. GPS is the perfect example--Google Maps works way better than most in-car nav systems, with pretty spot-on traffic data, and constant updates and improvements.
Old 09-14-22, 09:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Phones will not stay out of cars. Everyone has a phone with them at all times. So (1) failing to integrate the phone will just lead to more people trying to actually manipulate their phone while driving, and (2) car companies trying to replicate the tech that already exists and can easily be integrated into the car is a waste of time, money and energy. GPS is the perfect example--Google Maps works way better than most in-car nav systems, with pretty spot-on traffic data, and constant updates and improvements.
1. Why not make phones impossible or difficult to manipulate when driving?

2. I HATE Google I don't use Google maps or have any Google service on my iPhone .
Old 09-14-22, 09:09 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

2. I HATE Google I don't use Google maps or have any Google service on my iPhone .
You can't. It would be better to make the car interface so good no one would want/need to use a phone.
Old 09-14-22, 09:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You can't. It would be better to make the car interface so good no one would want/need to use a phone.
Sure you can. Just hasn’t been done (yet)
Old 09-14-22, 09:22 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

No you really can't. That's like banning the wearing of shoes in a car. It just won't happen.
Old 09-14-22, 09:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No you really can't. That's like banning the wearing of shoes in a car. It just won't happen.
It can definitely happen. Just force manufacturers to lock out phones based on any GPS movement. There is definitely a way to do it. My new SUV locks out my nav input and other stuff while moving. My iPhone already locks me out automatically when moving….but I can defeat it. Just make it so you can’t defeat it.
Old 09-14-22, 09:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It can definitely happen. Just force manufacturers to lock out phones based on any GPS movement. There is definitely a way to do it. My new SUV locks out my nav input and other stuff while moving. My iPhone already locks me out automatically when moving….but I can defeat it. Just make it so you can’t defeat it.
The lawsuits would stop that right quick and you don't realize how easy it is to spoof lockouts like that. The Toyota nav lockout is extremely easy to bypass, all of mine are bypassed. You can do it to yours as well

You can ALWAYS defeat it and with a billion people wanting it defeated it will be.
Old 09-14-22, 09:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

\The Toyota nav lockout is extremely easy to bypass, all of mine are bypassed. You can do it to yours as well
Make it so you can't. You can only do it because it is easy to do and they have left you the opportunity to do it.

you don't realize how easy it is to spoof lockouts like that. .
The greatest country in the world...the United States of America....where impossible is possible. It can be done!

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-14-22 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-14-22, 10:14 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Make it so you can't. You can only do it because it is easy to do and they have left you the opportunity to do it.

The greatest country in the world...the United States of America....where impossible is possible. It can be done!
No it's not possible to code it out lol! Otherwise you would need to entirely remove those functions, it's EASY to fool a car it's not moving. Plus you can always just use another headunit.

Yes correct, and here the people want phones. So you are FAR more likely to see a speed limit INCREASE, here based on what people actually want than anything as fantastically impossible as making people give up their phones.

You will never stop people doing what they want to do, you can only attempt to react to them afterwords.
Old 09-14-22, 10:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No it's not possible to code it out lol! Otherwise you would need to entirely remove those functions, it's EASY to fool a car it's not moving. Plus you can always just use another headunit.

Yes correct, and here the people want phones. So you are FAR more likely to see a speed limit INCREASE, here based on what people actually want than anything as fantastically impossible as making people give up their phones.

You will never stop people doing what they want to do, you can only attempt to react to them afterwords.
Legislate and remove the ability to access the cars computer internals etc. 99% of consumers will comply. You just don’t want it done, doesn’t mean it can’t be done. . I have no use for a phone in a car, so it doesn’t matter to me if they can’t be used.

Legislate a permanent driving ban for first time hands free driving offenders and 99% of the population will comply.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-14-22 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-14-22, 10:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Because it's not legal
So there's Apple Maps, which I hear is getting better.
Old 09-14-22, 10:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

you think that law could be passed? if you think Big Pharma has a choke hold on elected officials, what do you think wireless companies could do?
Old 09-14-22, 10:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

you think that law could be passed? if you think Big Pharma has a choke hold on elected officials, what do you think wireless companies could do?
The US constitution has been changed 27 times..that’s the constitution

. Of course a law can pass….

So there's Apple Maps, which I hear is getting better.
Yes. I use Apple maps, superior to Google maps IMO. But I prefer the on board system in my new SUV for long travels.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-14-22 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: more buttons in the future again?