Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

more buttons in the future again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-22, 10:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Talking more buttons in the future again?

maybe ive is just too old to appreciate the buttonless trend.

Pendulum May Swing Back Towards Physical Buttons, Says Famed Ex-Apple Designer Jony Ive

BY SEBASTIEN BELL | POSTED ONSEPTEMBER 8, 2022 It’s a common complaint among critics that vehicle interiors have too few buttons and too many features require the use of a touchscreen. And yet, automakers seem eager to put more screens in and pull more buttons out of their vehicles. That trend may soon change, though.

Jony Ive, the famed former Apple designer, said at Vox Media’s Code conference recently that he’s not a fan of vehicles that use too many touchscreen controls. They are an example of an interface “being driven inappropriately by something like multitouch.”

Indeed, automakers have been transitioning away from button-filled interiors towards screens for some time. Brands like Tesla are even attempting to build interiors completely devoid of physical buttons, which has been a controversial move. Now, though, Ive believes that the trend is shifting away from screens.

“Potentially, the pendulum may swing a little to have interfaces and products that are more tactile and more engaging physically,” Ive said, per the Verge. When asked if he was talking about vehicles, he responded, “for example.”

Ive actually isn’t alone in this opinion. Designers from prominent automakers are now resisting the dominance of touchscreens. Thierry Métroz, DS’s chief designer, recently said that his team’s target is to “delete all the screens in our future interiors,” calling them “not very sexy.”

Matthias Junghanns, the head of BMW i interior design, agreed, saying that he hoped that automakers would leave “these black glass surface” behind soon. Conny Blommé, the manager of Polestar‘s interior design department, also recently publicly said that screens have peaked.

Ive, meanwhile, may be able to put his opinions about touchscreens to the test, having recently signed on to work with Ferrari on its first electric vehicle. He is also reportedly advising on the Apple Car project.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/09/pe...gner-jony-ive/
Old 09-10-22, 10:39 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe ive is just too old to appreciate the buttonless trend.
Yeah that's what the youngsters want everyone to think but us older folks already seen all kinds of "trendy" things already.
I'm no so easily impressed anymore. lol

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Jony Ive, the famed former Apple designer, said at Vox Media’s Code conference recently that he’s not a fan of vehicles that use too many touchscreen controls. They are an example of an interface “being driven inappropriately by something like multitouch.”
Now you're talking my language. lol
Gimme my buttons and switches.

Last edited by Margate330; 09-10-22 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-10-22, 10:58 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

Jonny Ive's eventual drive for obsessive thinness at all costs created some massive functionality compromises in some otherwise excellent Apple products. As much as him and Jobs were key to Apple's success, I don't know he's the guy I'd look to for thought leadership on usability any more.
Old 09-10-22, 11:04 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swajames
Jonny Ive's eventual drive for obsessive thinness at all costs created some massive functionality compromises in some otherwise excellent Apple products. As much as him and Jobs were key to Apple's success, I don't know he's the guy I'd look to for thought leadership on usability any more.
Hi swajames, you just got a new Lightening as I read your thread.
You have a big screen?
Did you get buttons and switches or is everything integrated in a tablet style display?

Like to hear your thoughts on it plz.
Old 09-10-22, 11:07 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi swajames, you just got a new Lightening as I read your thread.
You have a big screen?
If so how you like it and what's your thoughts on it?
see Bitkahuna's new thread on screen orientation! In short, I think I like the screen the way it is. I think it works better than a large horizontal screen would work in my specific vehicle.
Old 09-10-22, 11:24 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A balanced mix of buttons and screen menus is ideal, IMO. Depends entirely on the UX design of the screen software, of course. Some are better than others. But i personally like having physical buttons for HVAC and volume. I feel i touch those the most - everything else is just once in awhile, and navigation is usually done by the speech commands.
Old 09-10-22, 01:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Physical controls lend a sense of connection to the car and a way to add distinction on a higher end product via feel and feedback on top of outright materials and shape. They are also faster and can be used blind and easily while in motion.

A screen is a screen. A $25k car feels the same to interact with as a 250k one. Use the controls in a Bentley vs a ford and you can really enjoy just idly using the vent pull on the former. The ford likely benefits from the screen so you don't have to feel how cheap the controls are
Old 09-10-22, 02:04 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 432 Likes on 356 Posts

I prefer physical buttons myself. Screens seemed way cooler when I was younger and never experienced one in a car before. The screen is nice to have in combination with buttons.
Old 09-10-22, 02:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

They can do whatever they like….just don’t bring back that awful remote touch interface if it’s Lexus

And what exactly does Johnny Ivy know about car interiors anyway

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-10-22 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-10-22, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Of course it will...
Old 09-10-22, 11:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

What manufacturers are going back to buttons? I know of none. It's just more and more screens.
My prediction is buttons will be a thing of the past. Trends take priority over safety. Plus, whatever Tesla does, everyone else is going to copy. This pattern has been taking place for years and is just getting going.

Old 09-10-22, 11:09 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What manufacturers are going back to buttons? I know of none. It's just more and more screens.
My prediction is buttons will be a thing of the past. Trends take priority over safety. Plus, whatever Tesla does, everyone else is going to copy. This pattern has been taking place for years and is just getting going
Aww man, I had my hopes up.
Have a feeling you may be correct, just a guess tho.
Old 09-11-22, 01:56 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Touch screens are just slow. Try replacing all the buttons and switches in a fighter jet with a screen and see how fast it gets shot down.

That’s why when fighter pilots train on a specific aircraft, they stick with it, with thousands of hours of muscle memory behind all the controls.
Old 09-11-22, 05:06 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Torisa
I prefer physical buttons. But the screen is better to have in combination with buttons. lol.
I agree. There are some controls where buttons make more sense, especially where a passenger should also need access, as in dual climate control, heated/ventilated seats, etc.

Last edited by jer; 09-11-22 at 05:07 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-11-22, 06:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
My prediction is buttons will be a thing of the past. Trends take priority over safety. Plus, whatever Tesla does, everyone else is going to copy. This pattern has been taking place for years and is just getting going.
it’s just a speculative click-bait article. Honestly, I think the future is screens only with more natural-language voice commands for features buried in menus. But I don’t have my crystal ball with me today, so I’m not positive.

Quick Reply: more buttons in the future again?