Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the best road trip vehicle you have had?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 12:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

For me, my 04 4R is the best long distance road trip vehicle. The size is just perfect. The V8 is just a dream come true. Very very quiet SUV on the highway, so quiet in fact there is a feature that prevents restarting the starter of the 4.7 in case you are idling and don't realize the truck is running. Also with full time 4WD, any weather condition is taken care of. Heavy rain, drifting snow...gravel roads...no need to put the vehicle in 4WD..its just always on... We also have a CD player so that is a huge bonus for us. (frame suit on) Also, with no screens and no safety systems, there is no beeping, noises or anything like that, I really dislike all that stuff in my 21 4R ...super easy to use any of the controls (flame suit off) Also, the view out of the drivers seat is superior to the 21 as despite being the same wheelbases is bulkier. Having a V8 is really great, a true luxury. I am not an aggressive driver so its tuned so perfectly with peak torque at 3400 which makes small town driving so easy, with a 5 speed there is just one shift in most small town driving... Fuel economy is not great, but it is a V8 with full 4WD so what can one expect. I did have air suspension in the rear but I changed it out when it failed, I am not sure I miss it. In the back, I have a factory two tier loading system if I want or I can do a one tier.

Full time spare tire too
a rear plug for a small fridge.
a 120V plug as well. With a dash mounted on/off switch

my 04 4R is just a true gem

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-12-22 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 12:28 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

you are not wrong, I get around 18 MPG highway at best or about 320 on a tank before the light comes on going at about 70 to 80 Mph I usually have a cargo box on top (22 cubic ft) and if I a going to camping or beach cargo tray with bunch of food and water on it. It is also loaded (full family)
That means I do have to fill this more than I would like too, but that's only con I can think of.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
To me the issue with the LX is driving range due to the small-ish tank and poor fuel economy. What kind of range do you get on the highway? Can't be over 400. What I like in the S560 (and the LS) is the range is well over 500 miles on the highway.

In fact I ran afoul of that. I left with 3/4 a tank, which meant I needed to get gas about an hour after I left Washington, PA on the way back. I usually only use name brand top tier fuel, and I had a hard time finding it, I stopped at two Exxons that were out of fuel, and all the exits were all no name stations I had never heard of. I finally had to settle for Sheetz. I like never having to worry about finding gas when I'm on the road.
Old 09-12-22, 12:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For me, my 04 48 is the best long distance road trip vehicle. The size is just perfect. The V8 is just a dream come true. Very very quiet SUV on the highway, so quiet in fact there is a feature that prevents restarting the starter of the 4.7 in case you are idling and don't realize the truck is running. Also with full time 4WD, any weather condition is taken care of. Heavy rain, drifting snow...gravel roads...no need to put the vehicle in 4WD..its just always on... We also have a CD player so that is a huge bonus for us. (frame suit on) Also, with no screens and no safety systems, there is no beeping, noises or anything like that, I really dislike all that stuff in my 21 4R ...super easy to use any of the controls (flame suit off) Also, the view out of the drivers seat is superior to the 21 as the despise being the same wheelbases is bulkier. Having a V8 is really great, a true luxury. I am not an aggressive driver so its tuned so perfectly with peak torque at 3400 which makes small town driving so easy, with a 5 speed there is just one shift in most small town driving... Fuel economy is not great, but it is a V8 with full 4WD so what can one expect. I did have air suspension in the rear but I changed it out when it failed, I am not sure I miss it. In the back, I have a factory two tier loading system if I want or I can do a one tier.

Full time spare tire too
a rear plug for a small fridge.
a 120V plug as well. With a dash mounted on/off switch

my 04 4R is just a true gem
After I wrote my response I started thinking about the 4Runner that I had. Mine was a 2007 with the V8 and, just like you said, it was a really great vehicle. My wife and I took it on several road trips and it was always wonderful.
Old 09-12-22, 01:04 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Just wait until you have a car that you only sorta have to use your hands too. Those big BOF SUVs are really nice on the highway.

The best way to describe the distronic is, your input tells the car where to go, and it works out the mechanics of getting it to go that way. Gone is any focus on keeping it in the lane etc. Having a car with and without it, the impact on fatigue of long distance driving is huge.
Oh yeah those are nice but my wife wouldn't let me use it. She would be freaked out screaming. I think BMW's driver assistance pro
offers more than MB's distronic? Many also agree it's same or better than Tesla's.
Old 09-12-22, 01:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
After I wrote my response I started thinking about the 4Runner that I had. Mine was a 2007 with the V8 and, just like you said, it was a really great vehicle. My wife and I took it on several road trips and it was always wonderful.
Yeah. V8 in midsize suv makes it a true gem

your 5.7 is also great too. It’s a BIG engine and effortless. Add in all the space etc. I see the new Tundra next to the tundra like yours and I appreciate the outgoing tundra so much more now.
Old 09-12-22, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Oh yeah those are nice but my wife wouldn't let me use it. She would be freaked out screaming. I think BMW's driver assistance pro driver assistance pro offers more than MB's distronic? Many also agree it's same or better than Tesla's.
She would never even know. You're still driving the car, its just doing the bulk of the driving in the background. My wife has no idea if the system is on or not. The BMW system is very similar, I have used it many times. Tesla depends on whether it has full self driving or not. Full self driving is a step ahead, as GM Supercruise is. Those systems are following nav data and even more, Distronic and the BMW system and Tesla Autopilot without FSD are not. Distronic is just reading the lane markings and keeping the car in between them basically.
Old 09-12-22, 01:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Also, with no screens and no safety systems, there is no beeping, noises or anything like that, I really dislike all that stuff in my 21 4R
Issue with this is, you also don't have the safety systems there reducing your fatigue. My car has no beeping or noises or anything like that either, and with no screen you have no navigation, and I would never want to go back to a vehicle with no navigation on a road trip. Never having to think about your route is a big part of making the road trip less stressful.
Old 09-12-22, 02:13 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayenne Turbo Coupe I drive now isn't a bad road tripper. 14 way really comfy massaging seats, Innodrive, night vision, matrix headlights, adjustable air suspension, super quiet inside, huge navi screen, carplay, Bose sound system, AWD, PDCC which makes it not lean in corners, Rear Axel Steering for easy parking, nearly 24 gallon fuel tank which gives it long range, 541 hp for easy passing of semi's, decent room in the hatch cargo area. On top of that it, the steering and handling is perfection for a SUV.
Old 09-12-22, 02:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Do you find that putting it into sport mode helps with that? This trip I was out I-78 to 68 through the allegheny mountains. 68 is very curvy and has lots of up and down grades. I found that when I would get into a curvy section I would put it into Sport mode and that took almost all of the floatiness and lean out of the suspension. I actually adjusted the individual mode to use the sport suspension but maintain the comfort steering and engine for fuel economy (usually I have that set to sport engine and comfort everything else.

To me the issue with the LX is driving range due to the small-ish tank and poor fuel economy. What kind of range do you get on the highway? Can't be over 400. What I like in the S560 (and the LS) is the range is well over 500 miles on the highway.

In fact I ran afoul of that. I left with 3/4 a tank, which meant I needed to get gas about an hour after I left Washington, PA on the way back. I usually only use name brand top tier fuel, and I had a hard time finding it, I stopped at two Exxons that were out of fuel, and all the exits were all no name stations I had never heard of. I finally had to settle for Sheetz. I like never having to worry about finding gas when I'm on the road.
Issue with this is, you also don't have the safety systems there reducing your fatigue. My car has no beeping or noises or anything like that either, and with no screen you have no navigation, and I would never want to go back to a vehicle with no navigation on a road trip. Never having to think about your route is a big part of making the road trip less stressful.
I see what you are saying. However, what I find fatiguing is speeding, speeders, braking all the time on the hwy, driving too close. I found a way years ago to not have stress when I drive, I started to just drive the speed limited and stay away from the crowd of cars that bunch together. IMO, I just don't like the auto cruise control in my new SUV, I hate that is slows it all down, I'd rather do it myself like I have done for decades upon decades. As for nav, I do like the nav in my SUV. I prefer the Toyota nav for longer destination but CarPlay does work for short jaunts that are unexpected. But I happy to use a dash mount in my older cars too
Old 09-12-22, 02:30 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

How do the later 4Runners drive compared to 2002 and earlier? I had one of these and hated it so much. Being young and stupid, I bought it for the look. It felt so heavy and cumbersome.
Old 09-12-22, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

How do the later 4Runners drive compared to 2002 and earlier? I had one of these and hated it so much. Being young and stupid, I bought it for the look. It felt so heavy and cumbersome.
The new one doesn't drive as nice my older one. The big 20in wheels suck for handling. And the size is bigger and more bulkier (but its still the same wheelbase) For example, parking the new is a PITA compared to the older one. I liked the 4.0 V6 but the whole vehicle is tuned to be louder. The front glass is farther and sit more upright as well. And you really need to get on it for power as the turning is more for fuel economy. New one is also heavier by 500lbs I think. But...space is much better. Its also a little higher up. Almost feel like a full size truck or SUV inside but in on a mid size frame. I have never driven a pre-2003 model
Old 09-12-22, 02:36 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

a 'new' 4Runner still feels ancient and lumbering... but not like it's broken, just like it's meant to be that way

also with 5 long gears and an old V6 it's slowwwww but i'm still a big fan and happy to see it doing so well
Old 09-12-22, 03:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
Cayenne Turbo Coupe I drive now isn't a bad road tripper. 14 way really comfy massaging seats, Innodrive, night vision, matrix headlights, adjustable air suspension, super quiet inside, huge navi screen, carplay, Bose sound system, AWD, PDCC which makes it not lean in corners, Rear Axel Steering for easy parking, nearly 24 gallon fuel tank which gives it long range, 541 hp for easy passing of semi's, decent room in the hatch cargo area. On top of that it, the steering and handling is perfection for a SUV.
Been a while since I drove a Cayenne, I need to go do that. Assuming I can find one to drive lol

I see what you are saying. However, what I find fatiguing is speeding, speeders, braking all the time on the hwy, driving too close. I found a way years ago to not have stress when I drive, I started to just drive the speed limited and stay away from the crowd of cars that bunch together. IMO, I just don't like the auto cruise control in my new SUV, I hate that is slows it all down, I'd rather do it myself like I have done for decades upon decades. As for nav, I do like the nav in my SUV. I prefer the Toyota nav for longer destination but CarPlay does work for short jaunts that are unexpected. But I happy to use a dash mount in my older cars too
I don't like dynamic cruise control alone either, BUT when paired with the lane tracing feature in the distronic its a totally different thing. These technologies make it easier to be relaxed when driving and to not care so much about going a certain speed or being out in front of the pack, etc.

Once you get used to a system like this, it dramatically reduces the stress of driving.
Old 09-12-22, 09:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Do you find that putting it into sport mode helps with that? This trip I was out I-78 to 68 through the allegheny mountains. 68 is very curvy and has lots of up and down grades. I found that when I would get into a curvy section I would put it into Sport mode and that took almost all of the floatiness and lean out of the suspension. I actually adjusted the individual mode to use the sport suspension but maintain the comfort steering and engine for fuel economy (usually I have that set to sport engine and comfort everything else.
Yes that is even with sport mode on the suspension setting. Like you I set my individual mode to sport suspension and comfort everything else. The biggest improvement is in sport mode and then lowering the suspension one click down. I just wish BMW would keep the settings in place since your last drive. I'm not sure why none of the cars do that without coding it, seems like a no brainer.

I also have to retract the X7 as my best road trip car. I was thinking more from a family hauler but I remember when I had my LS600 and took that on a trip to my in laws at the beach several times. Hands down the best combination of ride comfort, power and interior comfort with the only issue being the small trunk but that shouldn't factor into the answer for this question. I just think I am more of a car person vs. a SUV person.
Old 09-12-22, 09:48 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
I think I would love a Cayenne Turbo even though I’ve never driven one. Seems like it checks all the boxes except third row seating which we need right now. Once that need is gone I bet I’ll be looking at one.

Quick Reply: What is the best road trip vehicle you have had?