Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the best road trip vehicle you have had?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 09:58 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 4GS wins overall, but it would have been nice to have the ultra luxury package with better seats for long drives. I find the bottom cushion is just a little too short and wish I could extend it just a little.

My SL65 is shockingly good for road trips, and would actually be better than the 4GS if it didn’t have such low profile tires which result in a slightly rougher ride.
Old 09-12-22, 10:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

The best in terms of needed effort/lowest strain is my LS460, if it had the massaging seats from the A8 it would be the best. Non-flagships are so behind they really aren't worth comparing, it's nearly impossible to go back.

The A8 is twitchy and I don't trust the adaptive cruise since it makes mistakes, it also likes to cruise at around 100 so it's too fast in most cases. Fuel economy is also not what I thought it would be, I only got around 26-28 when the LS exceeds 30 in the same use case. The car feels like it wants to actively be driven not just directed, it never settles down and loves to tramline and require constant inputs and while fun locally it gets old fast. I also need to carry about 4 quarts of oil to make a Florida trip and back, only requires threeish tanks of gas though so that's nice.

The LS460 settles in at any speed under 120 and after a 12 hour one way trip with only stopping for fuel once I somehow was not tired or even sore at all, the A8 get taxing after 5-8 hours due to never really settling down and having a harsher ride. I like both of them but I will always pick the LS since it's a two finger/zero attention driving experience that requires nearly nothing from you. Now if speed limits were higher and I could go 120-140 the whole time I would likely pick the A8 instead since it's great at those speeds vs the LS that starts to get floaty over 100 and sometimes requires both hands on certain ramps/interchanges if you don't back off to 90-95.

The LS430 is like the 460 but just not as quiet, smooth, good on gas, or as competent at speed. It's a 2nd tier choice now, the Sequoia is great when you have a lot of people but range and mpg SUCKS and it's underpowered and can't dictate it's position in traffic how I would like, it can't really move much faster than 80 without a LOT of attention/effort to do so and that increases fatigue. The flagships are the opposite, nearly no effort needed. The truck is fun but is not good enough on gas to be a sane choice, plus it needs methanol or the tune changed to 91 octane depending on altitude/gas sold in whatever area I'm in and it sucks waiting 20 min to reflash down from 93 to 91 in a gas station lot since it doesn't have knock sensors.

I would likely highly enjoy a W222 S550 or S560/580 since they are more competent than an LS but aren't twitchy like an A8 is. I never drove one more than about 50 miles at a time so I can't really know that but I suspect it.....

Last edited by Striker223; 09-12-22 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 06:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

i think a funnier thread would be what's the worst road trip vehicle you have had.
Old 09-13-22, 06:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yes that is even with sport mode on the suspension setting. Like you I set my individual mode to sport suspension and comfort everything else. The biggest improvement is in sport mode and then lowering the suspension one click down. I just wish BMW would keep the settings in place since your last drive. I'm not sure why none of the cars do that without coding it, seems like a no brainer.

I also have to retract the X7 as my best road trip car. I was thinking more from a family hauler but I remember when I had my LS600 and took that on a trip to my in laws at the beach several times. Hands down the best combination of ride comfort, power and interior comfort with the only issue being the small trunk but that shouldn't factor into the answer for this question. I just think I am more of a car person vs. a SUV person.
I'm more a car person in most situations, but an SUV is really great to have on a trip for a few reasons. Space is one, passenger space but also cargo space, and the high seating position is also nice on the highway, you get a commanding view you don't get in a sedan. The only car I can think of that might be a better road trip car than my S560 is a Range Rover...although I would think a nice X7 or GLS or something like that would be close...

As for the modes, I know, I also didnt know it could be coded to stay on the last setting until AFTER I had my intelligent lights coded and could have had that done at the same time.

Originally Posted by Striker223
The LS430 is like the 460 but just not as quiet, smooth, good on gas, or as competent at speed. It's a 2nd tier choice now, the Sequoia is great when you have a lot of people but range and mpg SUCKS and it's underpowered and can't dictate it's position in traffic how I would like, it can't really move much faster than 80 without a LOT of attention/effort to do so and that increases fatigue. The flagships are the opposite, nearly no effort needed. The truck is fun but is not good enough on gas to be a sane choice, plus it needs methanol or the tune changed to 91 octane depending on altitude/gas sold in whatever area I'm in and it sucks waiting 20 min to reflash down from 93 to 91 in a gas station lot since it doesn't have knock sensors.
The effortlessness is a big part of it. The Pacifica for instance takes effort, its slow and poorly geared...

I would likely highly enjoy a W222 S550 or S560/580 since they are more competent than an LS but aren't twitchy like an A8 is. I never drove one more than about 50 miles at a time so I can't really know that but I suspect it.....
Thats accurate.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think a funnier thread would be what's the worst road trip vehicle you have had.
Haha it would!

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
My 4GS wins overall, but it would have been nice to have the ultra luxury package with better seats for long drives. I find the bottom cushion is just a little too short and wish I could extend it just a little.
Those were great seats in the luxury GS, arguably the best seats I have ever had in a car.
Old 09-13-22, 07:05 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
With cars continually advancing, I suspect most people's answer is going to be "whatever car I have now."
Pretty much! My current car is a 2018 Mazda CX-9 and its definitely been the best road trip vehicle for me. We drive to Calgary to visit friends and family at least once a year, and it can be an 11-13 hour drive depending on departure time and rest stops. With previous cars, I would need to stop every few hours because my back would start to tighten up. In the CX-9 I feel like I could drive the entire 11 hours in one trip (though I never have, because the wife and kids need a few breaks in between). Radar cruise is great, and the HUD is awesome. I think the most noteworthy road-trip-related plus of this car is how quiet it can be on the highway, despite having 20" wheels and a 4cyl turbo. The suspension rides very well and soaks up bumps well enough, and steering is responsive without feeling twitchy. The car, as a whole, even at highway speeds, feels just as agile on the highway as my previous car, a 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD. The Lexus had better audio, but I think that's due mostly to the smaller cabin.

I have also ridden as a passenger in a 2020 Pathfinder and a 2019 QX60 for a couple of road trips over the US border. The QX60 was hard to get comfortable in, and the Pathfinder was loud.
Old 09-13-22, 09:23 AM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Do you find that putting it into sport mode helps with that? This trip I was out I-78 to 68 through the allegheny mountains. 68 is very curvy and has lots of up and down grades. I found that when I would get into a curvy section I would put it into Sport mode and that took almost all of the floatiness and lean out of the suspension. I actually adjusted the individual mode to use the sport suspension but maintain the comfort steering and engine for fuel economy (usually I have that set to sport engine and comfort everything else.

To me the issue with the LX is driving range due to the small-ish tank and poor fuel economy. What kind of range do you get on the highway? Can't be over 400. What I like in the S560 (and the LS) is the range is well over 500 miles on the highway.

In fact I ran afoul of that. I left with 3/4 a tank, which meant I needed to get gas about an hour after I left Washington, PA on the way back. I usually only use name brand top tier fuel, and I had a hard time finding it, I stopped at two Exxons that were out of fuel, and all the exits were all no name stations I had never heard of. I finally had to settle for Sheetz. I like never having to worry about finding gas when I'm on the road.
When I was looking into purchasing my Land Cruiser, I knew those two things (space and MPG) would be the Achilles heel of the vehicle. So much so, that I bought my 2-row LC with a 24 gal auxiliary fuel tank. With 48.5 total gallons, I can go roughly 700-750 miles in my lightly built Cruiser between fill ups. Best mod ever for that vehicle IMO.
Old 09-13-22, 10:59 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm more a car person in most situations, but an SUV is really great to have on a trip for a few reasons. Space is one, passenger space but also cargo space, and the high seating position is also nice on the highway, you get a commanding view you don't get in a sedan. The only car I can think of that might be a better road trip car than my S560 is a Range Rover...although I would think a nice X7 or GLS or something like that would be close...
I guess I needed to give some reasons why I picked the GX. For me..
1. Looks nice enough to drive around next town
2. Very dependable. Full size spare is also a plus but never had to use it.
3. Should there be an obstacle on route, most likely it will get us through with its high clearance and AWD.
4. Spacious. Both driver and passengers. Part of it is due to its high roof profile. Never had a complaint from wife.
5. Plenty of cargo space. The best part is I could pop the rear window and load more.

Another great SUV tripper is Escalade. It's nice but a bit too big to get around town especially when you're in a city. I remember having had all my passengers out so I could back into a parking spot in a parking garage. I also hit the curb when going in too. Lol. I think you will like GLE. Not big, easy to get around town, very spacious inside, super comfortable. Not sure about GLS but X7 is very similar to X5 inside. They are nice but if you have 3+ adult size inside, it becomes tight and uncomfortable.

As for the modes, I know, I also didnt know it could be coded to stay on the last setting until AFTER I had my intelligent lights coded and could have had that done at the same time.
One of the good things about owning a BMW is being able to make minor changes yourself. If I leave the brand, I will definitely miss that part. You need to have someone else do it for your MB, right?

Those were great seats in the luxury GS, arguably the best seats I have ever had in a car.
Are you saying they are better than your S? I remember when those seats came out. Is it 18 way adjustable?
Old 09-13-22, 11:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
2. Very dependable.
3. Should there be an obstacle on route, most likely it will get us through with its high clearance and AWD.
These two are big IMO...

One of the good things about owning a BMW is being able to make minor changes yourself. If I leave the brand, I will definitely miss that part. You need to have someone else do it for your MB, right?
Yep...need someone with the software, tool and the know how.

Are you saying they are better than your S? I remember when those seats came out. Is it 18 way adjustable?
The S has the active bolsters and the massage which is big, but I prefer the actual articulating backrest in the GS seats (BMW style) vs the inflatable bladder in the upper seat in the S Class. I would say they have plusses and minuses. The S Class seats are softer and the GS seats are firmer so thats a plus for the S too.
Old 09-14-22, 07:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Now if speed limits were higher and I could go 120-140 the whole time I would likely pick the A8 instead since it's great at those speeds vs the LS that starts to get floaty over 100 and sometimes requires both hands on certain ramps/interchanges if you don't back off to 90-95.

Even if there was no cars no the hwy. Where could you go this speed all the time in the USA?
Old 09-14-22, 08:05 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Even if there was no cars no the hwy. Where could you go this speed all the time in the USA?
Literally any interstate. They are made for it, no issues at all sustaining it for hours without strain/one hand on the wheel relaxed. I hit 100 so much just from going up to Marion and back on 23 that it's a 2-4 times every drive type occurrence.
Old 09-14-22, 08:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Literally any interstate. They are made for it, no issues at all sustaining it for hours without strain/one hand on the wheel relaxed. I hit 100 so much just from going up to Marion and back on 23 that it's a 2-4 times every drive type occurrence.
120-140 all the time? Is that what you are claiming. Anywhere in America
Old 09-14-22, 08:15 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
120-140 all the time? Is that what you are claiming. Anywhere in America
Yeah, you may need to slow slightly if you are wanting to exit depending on the ramp style. Speed limits are already 80 in a LOT of places and states like Florida are literally flat and zero hints of curves for 40+ miles at a time, there is no reason you couldn't do 120-140 with a good enough car for it all the time. If you have never driven anything capable it would sound like an impossible statement but if you have then what I am saying would not surprise you at all, think of how easily a modern car can interstate drive vs a VW bug from the 1960s or really any small car of those days......

That's the difference between modern normal cars and top tier cars, 80 is like doing 40 and 120 is like doing 60.
Old 09-14-22, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is absolutely not true of any of the interstates I’ve ever been on. No way you can sustain those kind of speeds just because of other cars on the road, let alone the design of the road.

US interstates are not designed to be driven on at those speeds.
Old 09-14-22, 11:29 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

any 65+ mph interstate could easily sustain much higher speeds, i would know lol

the problems come from the roads not being well maintained or how abrupt the transition can be going from the standard road surface to a short bridge or something
Old 09-14-22, 11:40 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

This is absolutely not true of any of the interstates I’ve ever been on. No way you can sustain those kind of speeds just because of other cars on the road, let alone the design of the road.

US interstates are not designed to be driven on at those speeds.
Originally Posted by Stroock639
any 65+ mph interstate could easily sustain much higher speeds, i would know lol

the problems come from the roads not being well maintained or how abrupt the transition can be going from the standard road surface to a short bridge or something
Yeah no. The transitions are better when you are moving faster actually, there is no reason you can't pull 100 at all times. Not as true on the extreme east coast and how small/junk some areas are with the roads there in the DC corridor but for the vast majority of the nation it's not like that.

Quick Reply: What is the best road trip vehicle you have had?