Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the best road trip vehicle you have had?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 11:28 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I am at cruise control at 5 above speed limit whenever I am going to the beaches and passing thru VA, but around the dc area into VA people have no regard for traffic laws or speed. its almost as bad as NYC
Originally Posted by mmarshall
80+ in Virginia (or 25+ over the posted limit, no matter what it is) is Reckless Driving, a criminal offense and Class 1 Misdemeanor. That means up to a year in prison and/or $2500 fine....although the judge can reduce the penalty if he or she sees fit.
Old 09-15-22, 11:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I remember when I was getting my X5, knowing we were long time Lexus owners the finance director said, "all you need to do is going fast on freeway and applying the brake. You will see the difference yourself." He is not wrong at all. All these years we were with Lexus, they were all nice but damn this is a different level for sure, more so on SUV level.
Yep, that is absolutely true.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What is the penalty for going over 80 in Virginia?
They can actually arrest you on site and impound the vehicle. Like mmarshall said fine up to $2,500 and up to 12 months in jail.

I forgot to add, VA raised it a couple years ago to 85. So now its anything over 85 or more than 20 over a posted limit.
Old 09-15-22, 01:07 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

I think 80 is plenty. I always stay below 80 unless I'm on 80 freeway. 90 or 100 or 120, how much do you save? I remember from one talk, somehow I always remember from this guy, "plan to be there early." And it had nothing to do with speeding or safety at all.
i'm not necessarily looking to travel at 120, i'm more about just doing a quick pull to 120 and then settling down to double digits... going that fast continuously uses SO much fuel lol
Old 09-15-22, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They can actually arrest you on site and impound the vehicle. Like mmarshall said fine up to $2,500 and up to 12 months in jail.

I forgot to add, VA raised it a couple years ago to 85. So now its anything over 85 or more than 20 over a posted limit.
Yes, Steve's right. It did go up to 85 MPH. I wasn't aware of that. It was 80 and/or 25+ over the posted limit for so many years that it just became a part of my mental-dictionary, although, of course, I never drive at those speeds.
Old 09-15-22, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

They (Virginia) can actually arrest you on site and impound the vehicle. Like mmarshall said fine up to $2,500 and up to 12 months in jail.

that seems like complete madness and overreach to me. i don't condone doing huge speed, but putting someone in jail for a year for doing 85? i can understand if they caused an accident but anyway, just another reason i'd NEVER live in a state like VA. i remeember when i used to use a radar detector that most states in the nation didn't outlaw them but i think virginia did!

i wonder if VA has statistically less traffic fatalities than other states...
Old 09-15-22, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes and No. Virginia, in terms of death rate per mile, ranks 16th out of 50 in number of fatal crashes, but much lower.....35th out of the 50 states, in terms of death rate per mile. Northern Virginia, of course, near D.C., has some of the most congested roads in the country.

Texas, California, and Florida have far and away the most fatal crashes...no other states even come close.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...dents-by-state

i remeember when i used to use a radar detector that most states in the nation didn't outlaw them but i think virginia did
Driving through Virginia, you are allowed to own a detector and/or have one in the vehicle, but it MUST be turned off anywhere in the state. To actually use one is illegal. State Troopers (and some, but not all of the local police departments) have detector-detectors that know if you are using one or not.....and, yes, they can be impounded, as State courts have upheld the practice.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-22 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-15-22, 08:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
I am at cruise control at 5 above speed limit whenever I am going to the beaches and passing thru VA, but around the dc area into VA people have no regard for traffic laws or speed. its almost as bad as NYC
100% agree, around DC it’s the Wild West, crazy impatient drivers that have no regard for traffic laws.
Old 09-15-22, 09:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and No. Virginia, in terms of death rate per mile, ranks 16th out of 50 in number of fatal crashes, but much lower.....35th out of the 50 states, in terms of death rate per mile. Northern Virginia, of course, near D.C., has some of the most congested roads in the country.

Texas, California, and Florida have far and away the most fatal crashes...no other states even come close.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...dents-by-state

Driving through Virginia, you are allowed to own a detector and/or have one in the vehicle, but it MUST be turned off anywhere in the state. To actually use one is illegal. State Troopers (and some, but not all of the local police departments) have detector-detectors that know if you are using one or not.....and, yes, they can be impounded, as State courts have upheld the practice.

They can't tell at all with passive or new gen systems.
Old 09-16-22, 06:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm not necessarily looking to travel at 120, i'm more about just doing a quick pull to 120 and then settling down to double digits... going that fast continuously uses SO much fuel lol
Thats a totally different thing. Absolutely doable on US highways. Cruising for hours at 120, no.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that seems like complete madness and overreach to me. i don't condone doing huge speed, but putting someone in jail for a year for doing 85? i can understand if they caused an accident but anyway, just another reason i'd NEVER live in a state like VA. i remeember when i used to use a radar detector that most states in the nation didn't outlaw them but i think virginia did!

Thats Virginia! Usually they won't arrest anybody unless they have a really bad record, and I personally have never heard of anybody doing jail time. But, its possible. And yeah, radar detectors are illegal in VA.

Can you imagine using up jail space for people who drive too fast? Costing the taxpayers $50,000 to send one to jail for a year? Silly.
Old 09-16-22, 08:09 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Thats Virginia! Usually they won't arrest anybody unless they have a really bad record, and I personally have never heard of anybody doing jail time. But, its possible. And yeah, radar detectors are illegal in VA.
What about those OEM ones that built into the car? I guess it has to be seen to be illegal?
Old 09-16-22, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What about those OEM ones that built into the car? I guess it has to be seen to be illegal?
I've never seen any car company offer OEM built in radar detectors....
Old 09-16-22, 08:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

He's probably talking about something like a K40, which are often installed by dealers as an add-on at the time of sale.
Old 09-16-22, 08:38 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Look to the left, aka my avatar. Lol
Old 09-16-22, 08:43 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Thats a totally different thing. Absolutely doable on US highways. Cruising for hours at 120, no.
it never fails to impress me how easily and how little space is needed for cars like ours to reach those speeds... unless you've been in cars that can make 500+ ft lbs from below 2500 rpm those sort of speeds just sound outrageously wreckless... you went how fast?!? when really it's like no you don't understand i went 120 only because i didn't feel like going faster
Old 09-16-22, 08:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Look to the left, aka my avatar. Lol
That's not a radar detector though. BMW contracts out a service that has a database of where speed traps/speed cameras are located. Not quite the same as Waze but similar.

Quick Reply: What is the best road trip vehicle you have had?