Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the best road trip vehicle you have had?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I specifically stated, in my post, the difference......Virginia 16 out of 50 in one category and 35 out of 50 in the other.
that's not what i pointed out. you stated texas, california, florida have by far the most deaths, but that's a pointless comment because it doesn't take population into account. california when taking population into consideration isn't much different than virginia.
Old 09-16-22, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's not what i pointed out. you stated texas, california, florida have by far the most deaths, but that's a pointless comment because it doesn't take population into account. california when taking population into consideration isn't much different than virginia.

It's not just population. Texas, like Montana, also has a history of very high speed limits...particularly in its western part. Can't stop the laws of physics.....all else equal, the faster you go, the more kinetic energy is in the vehicle, and the more severe the crash and damage will be if you hit something.
Old 09-17-22, 04:26 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well either that's the most tunable engine ever or audi seriously underrates it from the factory... to take off over 2 seconds on an already quick 0-100 time is no small feat lol

edit:

ok i'll concede i wasn't expecting stage 1 to do that much but here we are

https://youtu.be/yG87DSNXHhk?t=23

the 4.0 TSFI is a total beast i shouldn't be surprised haha... i'm so used to my car i forget what having off the line traction and quick shifting trans can do
It really shocks people that's for sure lol! Not many expect such a large silent car to be so fast, and technically Audi doesn't underrate it. They just list the WHP not CHP as the factory output.

It would make a damn good long distance car if it wasn't for the fact it just doesn't settle in under 90-100. The constant corrections and tram line tendency gets old after 4 hours
Old 09-17-22, 06:08 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
BMWs do not have built in radar detectors, thats coming from traffic data about a speed trap, BMW has a subscription service that offers that data.
No vehicle manufacturer sells a factory radar detector feature.
I did look it up to see how it works and found a mix of both. The one below and another official bmw website I was in says there's radar on board. In any case, it still "detects" cops? I've gotten alerts with and without cops being there.

"...Whereas on Waze, for example, their location is marked by other users, the on-board BMW feature will rely on data gathered by the radar the car has on board and laser detectors along with access to the nationwide network of public fixed and mobile traffic camera locations, where it’s available. That’s the main reason why this option is not offered everywhere, but only in select markets. The service will be made possible by Here Technologies, a company BMW bought a while back alongside Audi and Mercedes-Benz."
Source

Originally Posted by Striker223
My A8, stage 1 tune with intake charge tubes on good tires. 93 octane, I'm probably going to swap the turbos up to +3 mm and downpipes before the year is out.
So... it's your tuned car. Got it.

It's not just population. Texas, like Montana, also has a history of very high speed limits...particularly in its western part. Can't stop the laws of physics.....all else equal, the faster you go, the more kinetic energy is in the vehicle, and the more severe the crash and damage will be if you hit something.
I'm always under the impression the common causes of accidents are people's behaviors, road's structure/condition/traffic not speed limit. I've lived in some areas of California and almost everyday there's almost always an accident on some freeway and the speed limits are nothing unusual. I was curious on your claim about high speed so I asked mR. Google...
"...

What are the deadliest roads and highways in Texas?

There are several lists of the deadliest roads in Texas, and near the top of them all, you’ll find the same massive highway. Interstate 45 (I-45) in Houston is the deadliest roadway in our entire state, followed by Stemmons Freeway / Interstate 35 (I-35) in Austin and Dallas. Another Houston highway, Interstate 10 (I-10) follows closely behind I-35. The next two are U.S. Route 175 and Interstate 20 (I-20) in Dallas. Also on this list, you can find Marvin D Love Freeway in Dallas, Tomball Parkway (TX-249) in Houston, Texas 12 Loop in Dallas, Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway in Mesquite, and Garland, Texas 183 in Irving, Fort Worth, and Euless, and more. Many of these roads and highways suffer from outdated, shoddy infrastructure, which can make an ordinary driving mistake turn life-threatening.

I-45 is not only the most dangerous highway in Texas, it has also been named the most dangerous U.S. highway, averaging 56.5 fatal accidents every 100 miles, with Houston the deadliest stretch generating 73 deaths in at least one recent year, 2019. It connects Dallas to Galveston, going through Conroe and The Woodlands, and has been the most dangerous highway nationally since 2011."
Source
I think high speed freeways are usually outside of cities which IMO makes total sense. I've driven cross country a few times and for sure speed limits at some places could be higher than 65.
Old 09-17-22, 06:13 AM
BlueAspen
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anything less than a day, for example driving from the Texas triangle Dallas-Houston-Austin/San Antonio straight highway — LS 460 hands down amazing.

For anything more than say 5-6 hours bigger vehicles Suburban/Yukon/Escalade when out as easy to move around in/stretch legs.
Old 09-17-22, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

The USE of detectors is illegal in Virginia, not the simple ownership of one. Obviously Virginia cannot stop detector-equipped vehicles from other states from driving through. You can drive 9n the state with a whole car full of detectors as long as you keep them turned off.....and the State Police (and sometimes local police as well) know when you have one turned on. Many motorists have been quite surprised when they thought they could pull a fast one on the Police in Virginia by ignoring the law and turning the detector on.....only to see flashing-blue lights in the rear-view mirror..
Well sure, its the use of the detector. But when travelling through VA you need to turn your detector off. They have equipment that notifies them when a radar detector is in use.

so you're ok with someone going to jail for a year for doing 85mph.
Thats really the key. The question is does the punishment fit the crime, and does the punishment have value to society. Its like a marijuana crime, you have people serving many years in prison for possession of marijuana, that costs taxpayers a fortune and it ruins lives, and clearly it isnt a deterrant. Driving through VA and MD and WV and PA and NJ and all the states around there, I have found no fewer people driving at high speeds in VA than in those other states, so I would say that law and the penalties associated with it dont really provide a societal benefit.
Old 09-17-22, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Well sure, its the use of the detector. But when travelling through VA you need to turn your detector off. They have equipment that notifies them when a radar detector is in use.
Yes, the State Police and some of the local police do have detector-detectors...but I don't know a great deal about just how they operate, and some of the details on that are classified for obvious reasons.

Anyhow, keep within about 10 MPH of the posted limit or so, and most cops in VA won't bother you...and you won't need a detector to start with.

Thats really the key. The question is does the punishment fit the crime, and does the punishment have value to society. Its like a marijuana crime, you have people serving many years in prison for possession of marijuana, that costs taxpayers a fortune and it ruins lives, and clearly it isnt a deterrant. Driving through VA and MD and WV and PA and NJ and all the states around there, I have found no fewer people driving at high speeds in VA than in those other states, so I would say that law and the penalties associated with it dont really provide a societal benefit.
I haven't been to New Jersey many times, but, the few times I've been there, the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) is like a race-track compared to 95/66/81 in Virginia. Plus, the Bozo legislature in New Jersey has a law that won't let you fill up your own tank. Self-Service is forbidden, so you have to kindly allow the inept employees at the gas stations to scratch up your paint and/or allow gas to run down the fender while filling up. Best to try and reach MD, PA, or NY if you need gas.
Old 09-17-22, 10:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

so you're ok with someone going to jail for a year for doing 85mph.

i agree don't break the law wherever you are. that's why i won't live in a place like most of canada or most of the mid-atlantic to northeast u.s.

speaking of canada, if someone's driving across country, you think their car should be taken away if they go 80mph on the hundreds and hundreds of miles of nothingness in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, etc?
I don’t speed anymore. I also don’t drive anywhere near aggressively. So at this point in my life, I just don’t care. Not really my problem.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-17-22 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-17-22, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS

What are the deadliest roads and highways in Texas?

There are several lists of the deadliest roads in Texas, and near the top of them all, you’ll find the same massive highway. Interstate 45 (I-45) in Houston is the deadliest roadway in our entire state, followed by Stemmons Freeway / Interstate 35 (I-35) in Austin and Dallas. Another Houston highway, Interstate 10 (I-10) follows closely behind I-35. The next two are U.S. Route 175 and Interstate 20 (I-20) in Dallas. Also on this list, you can find Marvin D Love Freeway in Dallas, Tomball Parkway (TX-249) in Houston, Texas 12 Loop in Dallas, Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway in Mesquite, and Garland, Texas 183 in Irving, Fort Worth, and Euless, and more. Many of these roads and highways suffer from outdated, shoddy infrastructure, which can make an ordinary driving mistake turn life-threatening.

I-45 is not only the most dangerous highway in Texas, it has also been named the most dangerous U.S. highway, averaging 56.5 fatal accidents every 100 miles, with Houston the deadliest stretch generating 73 deaths in at least one recent year, 2019. It connects Dallas to Galveston, going through Conroe and The Woodlands, and has been the most dangerous highway nationally since 2011."
Source

I have no reason to question your source here of the most deadly roads in TX, so I'll accept it. But a couple of very interesting roads in TX that probably WOULD be more deadly if they had more traffic and higher speed limits are the two-lane road in Big Bend National Park that leads into the Chisos Mountains, wth its 10 MPH hairpin curves and a steep 7-mile grade, and the two-lane River Road (El Camino Del Rio) that roller-coasters through the cliffs and mountains along the Rio Grande from Big Bend Park to Presidio., with ultra-steep grades up to 15%. These are two of the most scenic and spectacular roads in the state, albeit it in a very remote part that gets little traffic.