Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the worst road trip vehicle you have had?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 09:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

A friends 2007 Civic LX from NorCal to SoCal and back. The seats have terrible lumbar support for long trips
Old 09-14-22, 10:08 AM
cp44
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

In my early teens we took a family trip in the summer to Toronto on a Chinatown tour bus, mistake #1. We had to take the train to the DC Chinablock, get picked up by the bus and noticed the interior was on par with a city bus that's never been cleaned. We made a stop in Buffalo, NY to eat at a Chinese takeout place which was terrible. We finally arrived to Toronto, they dropped us off at a restaurant for dinner and afterwards we got on the bus to go back to the hotel realizing that the bus broke down. The tour guide called another tour bus to come pick us up with no ETA, finally about 4 hours later the new bus came and picked us up. Well this new ride didnt have AC and felt like we're being driven around in a sauna.

So after a week of this we were on our way home and waiting in line at Customs coming back to the US. The agent told all of us if you have something to claim say it now and of course this one family was hiding fruit that they bought. The agent came on board and found the hidden stash and told the father to come with them. After an hour later his dumbass got back on the bus so we can leave. When we finally got back to DC, the next day my mom tried to call and complain to get her money back but the owner of the tour bus company already cashed the check and said no refund.

Old 09-14-22, 11:11 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

I loved my 08 IS350 but it wasn't the right car to drive across the country in. Ride was a bit harsh on the F Sport lowering springs and seats were a bit too snug for me for that many hours at a time
Old 09-14-22, 01:34 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

One time I had a rental base Yaris that I had to drive overnight from SF down to Santa Barbara due to a cancelled flight. Didn't have cruise control either. Almost wanted to just stick a broom handle to peg the accelerator (it wouldn't have been able to go fast anyways!)

Second worst is probably the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Had to drive that from LA to SD and back. Those large off road tires and the steering in the Jeeps was just a terrible combination.
Old 09-14-22, 01:55 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I am an old fart, so probably the 1958 Olds 88 we had when I was a kid.....no air conditioning! Worst I have personally owned is probably the Datsun 310.
Old 09-14-22, 05:46 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

took a trip once in my ISF for about 5 hrs, upstate NYC but I needed to stop in the city for a wedding and visit a friend. My wife complained how bad the ride is; very jittery and just not good uneven roads. ISF was great to drive otherwise but on a longer road trips I don't know if its a car for that. after than I never it more than an Hr away. I heard they changed the suspension after 08 and the 12+ were much nicer

honda CRV an older 2000s model, way under powered; noisy interior and no engine response. I believe alot of entry SUVs fall into this category,

I also owed a 07 Prius, that was pretty bad too. After that never wanted to own a hybrid.
Old 09-14-22, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Second worst is probably the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Had to drive that from LA to SD and back. Those large off road tires and the steering in the Jeeps was just a terrible combination.

Yes, of course the Wrangler is going to be uncomfortable in typical highway-cruise conditions. It was never designed for that kind of driving. Although many of its owners never actually go off-road with it, it was (primarily) designed to get you across creek-beds, up and down the sides of mountains, and over rocks/boulders.
Old 09-14-22, 07:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

A Chevy HHR or whatever that bread wagon was. Rented it during a trip to SoCal to visit friends and some ClubLexus members years ago. Drove it from Long Beach to Vegas. I honestly didn't care what I was driving cause it was just cheap transportation to Vegas. But, usually when you notice one thing wrong, you start noticing everything wrong.

That happened when I noticed the car was not able to keep a steady pace going up hills just outside of the LA area. Had the car floored, engine screaming, and speeds were still dropping while 18wheelers are doing better than us. Plus the AC couldn't keep up with the heat. Everything was falling apart on the inside. Ceiling liner was coming apart, power windows were loud, climate or radio **** fell off ( can't remember which it was) seats were brutal. We literally stopped at every tourist attraction along the way to get out of the car and stretch our legs and backs.

However, the ambient interior lighting is what had us crying of laughter for about 30 mins. It was a very visible lightbulb just stuck in the roof liner. No trim around it, no diffuser over it, nothing. Just a small lightbulb in the ceiling. Lmao.

Total crap car. Crazy anyone spent any amount of money on that car.
Old 09-15-22, 04:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
I am an old fart, so probably the 1958 Olds 88 we had when I was a kid.....no air conditioning!
after just getting my driver's license right after some lessons in a small dodge omni, i had to take a business trip and rent a car. i get to the counter and they give me the keys to something like this (delta 88). i grinned from ear to ear. car was a total boat to drive, but hilarious.

Old 09-15-22, 09:02 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

My 1999 Mazda Miata. A great car for driving around on short errands and back roads, but terrible for touring. Tiny cockpit that forced my 5'10" body into one, and only one position. Tiny trunk. Worst of all was the gearing, which was too low in top gear resulting in a constant engine drone that never stopped.

It's a question of horses for courses, and touring was just the wrong course for this otherwise excellent car.
Old 09-15-22, 10:45 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

1985 Nissan pickup, hardbody, two-door, no AC, no power anything, standard bed. Longest trip was about 250 miles. Had to keep it under 70mph to reduce wind noise and steering wandering. But, it was reliable and cheap to maintain.

The trick to driving with the window open is to crack the rear, same side, window at least six inches. That reduces wind noise and reduces the wind messing up your hairdo. Cannot have any other windows open. It does vary a bit with different cars, but this setup seems to work with most models. Don't know how the sunroof affects this.
Old 09-15-22, 04:11 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I rented GLS450 for a week because I wanted to check out and also needed 3rd row. It was fine for the driver but the trip was horrible. Passengers had to take turn to sit in the 3rd row and hated it so much. Hearing all this complaint is priceless.
Old 09-15-22, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
car was a total boat to drive, but hilarious.

That "boatness" often means soft comfort over bumps and while cruising. It's the old classic ride/handling trade-off....although some older BMW models did a superb job of combining and balancing both.

But, if one strictly wanted cruise-comfort and little else, GM and Ford were both masters at it for many years in their large sedans.
Old 09-16-22, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I rented GLS450 for a week because I wanted to check out and also needed 3rd row. It was fine for the driver but the trip was horrible. Passengers had to take turn to sit in the 3rd row and hated it so much. Hearing all this complaint is priceless.
Thats interesting since thats one of the cars I have considered. Was it just the third row issue or was more uncomfortable about it?
Old 09-16-22, 10:19 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
are you saying just the 3rd row is bad or the car overall? i'm surprised to see this make the list considering it's the 'S-Class of SUVs' and all that

Quick Reply: What is the worst road trip vehicle you have had?