Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota GR Corolla First-Drive Review (UPDATED!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 09:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Oh it does, it is MUCH easier to get any of the other cars I mentioned at MSRP. This thing is going to have an ADM that costs as much as the car since it's new and rare vs the run of mill cars
What car at MSRP are you talking about? An accord ?
Old 09-14-22, 09:19 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What car at MSRP are you talking about? An accord ?
Mustang, Charger, Challenger, 330/40i, LT1 Camaro, etc. They are are the same MSRP as this and you won't have to deal with a rare model markup since they are basic versions, nothing like a GT500 or anything like that.
Old 09-14-22, 09:57 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Okay now stage 1 tune the accord. There is a limit of what can be done with the 3 cyl....
Ok so now it's almost as fast in a straight line, but plows straight into the wall when you ask it to turn. Plus, not everyone wants to mod their car. We're all enthusiasts, and you're a mechanic...it's a bit myopic to project our proclivities onto the entire driving public.

Plus stuff like 5.0 stangs and the Camaro exist that will run circles around this for 20k less. It's not exceptional handling, it's a FWD based heavy for it's size car. The civic will also likely destroy it
It's clear you haven't watched ANY reviews. They universally praise the handling. It beat the Civic Type R around Throttle House's track, and came in just behind the Mustang GT with Performance Pack 2. Given that it's down 160hp vs. the Mustang, that means the Corolla is dramatically faster through the corners. And that was on all-season tires. Put some summer UHP tires on there and shave off even more time.

A hot hatch also has a different mission than a pony car. They're designed to add a nice bit of fun to an otherwise practical car. Neither the Mustang nor Camaro makes a great commuter, particularly in bad weather, you can't put adults in the back seat of either, and cargo space is limited. The Camaro is particularly bad here, with next to zero outward visibility and a trunk that is both miniscule and has a tiny opening that is extremely difficult to get things into.

Is it worth paying a $25k markup (as a few dealers are starting to ask) for a year one Circuit Edition? Clearly not. Will a 2024 core plus the performance options be a great value at right around $40k, all in? Absolutely.
Old 09-14-22, 10:09 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Ok so now it's almost as fast in a straight line, but plows straight into the wall when you ask it to turn. Plus, not everyone wants to mod their car. We're all enthusiasts, and you're a mechanic...it's a bit myopic to project our proclivities onto the entire driving public.

It's clear you haven't watched ANY reviews. They universally praise the handling. It beat the Civic Type R around Throttle House's track, and came in just behind the Mustang GT with Performance Pack 2. Given that it's down 160hp vs. the Mustang, that means the Corolla is dramatically faster through the corners. And that was on all-season tires. Put some summer UHP tires on there and shave off even more time.

A hot hatch also has a different mission than a pony car. They're designed to add a nice bit of fun to an otherwise practical car. Neither the Mustang nor Camaro makes a great commuter, particularly in bad weather, you can't put adults in the back seat of either, and cargo space is limited. The Camaro is particularly bad here, with next to zero outward visibility and a trunk that is both miniscule and has a tiny opening that is extremely difficult to get things into.

Is it worth paying a $25k markup (as a few dealers are starting to ask) for a year one Circuit Edition? Clearly not. Will a 2024 core plus the performance options be a great value at right around $40k, all in? Absolutely.
Okay, now put real tires on the 5.0 as well as the corolla. Don't waste the money on PP2 and instead get it real coilovers. I would rather drive a RWD real car instead of a corolla any day but if you want to deal with that small of a car then fine.

The new civic isn't out yet. The throttle house track has a massive bais toward handling slow corners, I will wait till more reviews come out on longer tracks.

I just do not see it worth that much, same issue I see with that type R. At the end of the day both are econoboxes with hopped up engines that are still slower than entry level RWD cars
Old 09-14-22, 11:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Okay, now put real tires on the 5.0 as well as the corolla. Don't waste the money on PP2 and instead get it real coilovers. I would rather drive a RWD real car instead of a corolla any day but if you want to deal with that small of a car then fine.
That was my entire point. The Mustang ALREADY HAS real tires. I think even the PP1 comes with PS4S. So 160hp advantage, far better tires, essentially same track time. I was only suggesting that if you level the playing field by putting PS4S on the 'rolla to match, it would be even more competitive. And again, not everyone wants to take a brand new car and rip the suspension out.

I'm with you on RWD as a preference. I have literally never owned anything else my entire life, and I'm not going to buy a GR Corolla. Since I no longer have (and likely never will have again) a commute, I don't need a practical car. But that doesn't mean the GRC is rubbish, and I can look beyond my own proclivities to see that. It absolutely hit its target, and is (with the possible exception of the next Type R) the top entry in its segment.

Last edited by geko29; 09-14-22 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-14-22, 11:52 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Why are we comparing used cars from entirely different segments with an AWD hot hatch?

The GR Corolla is probably the most interesting vehicle Toyota has made in years if not the past decade. The massive media blitz is really funny considering the ultra-limited production nature of this vehicle.
Old 09-14-22, 11:55 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

That was my entire point. The Mustang ALREADY HAS real tires. I think even the PP1 comes with PS4S. So 160hp advantage, far better tires, essentially same track time. I was only suggesting that if you level the playing field by putting PS4S on the 'rolla to match, it would be even more competitive. And again, not everyone wants to take a brand new car and rip the suspension out.

I'm with you on RWD as a preference. I have literally never owned anything else my entire life, and I'm not going to buy a GR Corolla. Since I no longer have (and likely never will have again) a commute, I don't need a practical car. But that doesn't mean the GRC is rubbish. It absolutely hit its target, and is (with the possible exception of the next Type R) the top entry in its segment.
PS4S are street tires lol! I've got those on my LS and A8, they are good but they are not a cup2 or something like that.

The AWD car has a big edge due to the AWD on any street type tires since you can be a bit of an idiot (a lot of an idiot....) with power delivery vs any rear drive car but you simply don't have the same level of control over the car. You would not see much of a gain at all on the GR due to that fact, the 160hp advantage isn't able to be used on their track since it's a short and small one. That power gap would matter a hall of a lot more at Road America or similar places like the streets even. It's fine for what it is but it still strikes me as really freaking expensive for what you get.

I'll reserve final judgement until I drive one but I keep seeing so many compromises, the more glaring to me is the column mounted EPS. I would much rather have a far better platform from the get go rather than a platform that was shoehorned and hammered into a performance car.

Last edited by Striker223; 09-14-22 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-14-22, 12:08 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

PS4S are street tires lol! I've got those on my LS and A8, they are good but they are not a cup2 or something like that.
Please go back and read my post. I literally said the Corolla comes on all-seasons (PS4AS to be specific), and that putting it on UHP summers (which is what the PS4S are) to match the Mustang would improve grip and therefore lap times. I never suggested Cup2s, which are race tires.
Old 09-14-22, 12:15 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Please go back and read my post. I literally said the Corolla comes on all-seasons (PS4AS to be specific), and that putting it on UHP summers (which is what the PS4S are) to match the Mustang would improve grip and therefore lap times. I never suggested Cup2s, which are race tires.
I swear it comes on normal PS4 not the 4s, I'll have to go look again since the PSAS4 would be strange. The issue is the car is already very soft even just watching the videos and an still street legal tire like the C2 would VASTLY improve some of the front end willingness.....problem is that would also put the RWD majorly ahead due to power application advantages. I am not sure how much you would gain with an AWD car with a front heavy (understeer) happy nature by moving from a PSAS4 to only a 4S like the mustang comes with, I don't think it will make too much of a difference. I'm also concerned that with the super soft suspension more tire may work against you in some ways

Last edited by Striker223; 09-14-22 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-14-22, 12:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Why are we comparing used cars from entirely different segments with an AWD hot hatch?

The GR Corolla is probably the most interesting vehicle Toyota has made in years if not the past decade. The massive media blitz is really funny considering the ultra-limited production nature of this vehicle.
well, GR Yaris is more interesting, but let me agree with you for once.

As to the limited nature, kind of, 6600 units for USA in 2023 is not that limited at all. More than what 86 sold after 2017, and it is way more expensive. Kind of what GR Supra sells in its best year (2021).

You will see them around if you live in Cali for sure.
Old 09-14-22, 01:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, GR Yaris is more interesting, but let me agree with you for once.

As to the limited nature, kind of, 6600 units for USA in 2023 is not that limited at all. More than what 86 sold after 2017, and it is way more expensive. Kind of what GR Supra sells in its best year (2021).

You will see them around if you live in Cali for sure.
Honda sells about 5,000 Civic Type R's a year in the U.S. (might be more had it not been for COVID, but they only give us the aggregate from 2017-2021), and every single one of those sold were marked up out the wazoo. The same thing will happen to the GR Corolla.
Old 09-14-22, 01:13 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Honda sells about 5,000 Civic Type R's a year in the U.S. (might be more had it not been for COVID, but they only give us the aggregate from 2017-2021), and every single one of those sold were marked up out the wazoo. The same thing will happen to the GR Corolla.
This is a bit of hyperbole. I have a friend who bought both a 2018 and a 2020 at sticker. Yes lots of them were marked up, but not all. Now if we were talking about the 600 total units of the Limited Edition, yeah I suspect most of those had a substantial ADM.
Old 09-14-22, 01:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The massive media blitz is really funny considering the ultra-limited production nature of this vehicle.
It certainly got you talking about it.
Old 09-14-22, 01:21 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

This is a bit of hyperbole. I have a friend who bought both a 2018 and a 2020 at sticker. Yes lots of them were marked up, but not all. Now if we were talking about the 600 total units of the Limited Edition, yeah I suspect most of those had a substantial ADM.
There have been a handful that were lucky enough to get one at sticker, but most mentions on the Civic and Honda forums were of huge markups. And in the current market, getting your hands on a CTR at anywhere near MSRP is even more of a dream than it was in 2018.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It certainly got you talking about it.
People were talking about it before it even existed, when it was just the Yaris. This car would have been scooped up by enthusiasts even if it didn't have a single advertisement.
Old 12-12-22, 03:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Here's why the GR Corolla is the Best New Toyota in Over 20 Years!

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota GR Corolla First-Drive Review (UPDATED!)