Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Retro-Write-Up: First-Generation 1995-2000 Toyota RAV-4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-22, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default MM Retro-Write-Up: First-Generation 1995-2000 Toyota RAV-4

MM Retro Write-Up: First-Generation 1995-2000 Toyota RAV-4.

IN A NUTSHELL: One of the original Crossover-Crazes of the 1990s, and still enormously successful today.

The 1990s, in the U.S., saw the meteoric rise of family-SUVs such as the Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner, Dodge Durango, Chevy S-10 Blazer and Trailblazer, etc…. as millions of those families who had formerly had minivans were now looking for a vehicle that could still carry their families but also offer more versatility in the winter with Four-Wheel-Drive/All-Wheel-Drive and at least some limited capabilities off-road. Automakers, in a number of ways, found a quick and relatively inexpensive way to meet this demand by redoing their compact and full-sized pickups to enclose the rear bed and add a back-seat/interior. This concept was quite successful overall, and worked very well for several years (the Ford Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee were especially popular)…but one of their noted weaknesses was a stiff, truck-like ride and somewhat ponderous handling. This was not surprising, given that their suspensions and steering-systems basically came from the pickup trucks they they were originally based on. Customers began to complain about the firmness of the ride. (Except for the Mazda Miata, I’ve never liked firm-riding vehicles myself). The Ford Explorer’s suspension, for example, dated back to the Twin-I-Beam truck-suspension introduced in 1964 That design-antiquity, and the shortcomings of the Firestone Wilderness tires at lower PSIs and hot temperatures/high speeds and heavy vehicle loads would lead to tire failure, classic roll-overs and big liability problems for both Ford and Firestone a few years later.

So, by the middle of the decade or so, a relatively new concept began to take hold among automakers, one which would offer at least some of the utility/usefulness of the truck-based SUVs, full-time all-wheel-drive for winter traction, beer fuel-economy, better and more civilized road-manners, and easier entry/exit, and better ground-clearance for road-debris and mild off-road/non-paved surface conditions…..in short, the Crossover. The term Crossover was used because, of course, with some inevitable compromise, it combined the comfort of traditional sedans/coupes/wagons with the better utility and ground clearance of trucks. This crossover-concept, of course, had been tried back in the early 1980s with the Eagle and Eagle SX-4 from American Motors (which I covered in a previous write-up), but the public was not ready for it, and this vehicle was some fifteen years ahead of its time. In fact, not only the Eagle, but parent corporation American Motors itself, even under Chrysler and Renault ownership, did not survive the decade, and went out of business.

Well, by the middle of the 1990s….the public WAS ready for that concept. Subaru’s Outback, introduced in 1995, was a big success….more-so than even the company marketers had projected. (I owned a later 2006 version of the Outback myself). It was essentially a modern version of the former AMC Eagle..a raised suspension wagon, based on the Legacy sedan, with what was arguably the world’s best full-time AWD system at that point. But the Outback was basically more of a wagon than today’s idea of a crossover……two years later, in 1997, the Subaru Forester would debut, which was more of a true crossover. By that time, however, had also Toyota introduced its own crossover, the first-generation RAV-4, in 1995, for the 1996 model year. Honda would shortly follow with its CR-V, and many other automakers sold essentially play copy-cat without heir own crossover introductions. Many, if not most, of these original crossover designs, particularly the Forester/Outback, RAV-4, and CR-V are still in production today in updated forms, as these four have been especially popular and successful…they sell almost as many units each year as the top-selling domestic full-size pickups.

Personally, I thought the first-generation RAV-4 (and, for that matter, its rival Honda CR-V) looked somewhat awkward in its styling, but there was no denying its huge success. At the Toyota dealership where I had gotten the blue 1995 Celica that I was driving at the time, I can remember overhearing some of the salespersons (I had gone to my freshman year in high-school with one of them, so he had known me decades previously) sitting around and talking when they thought the customers were probably out of earshot. They were discussing about how easy it was going to be to get profits and mark-ups over list for the new RAV-4s…and, needless to say, they were right. A lot of people DID pay more for the early-production RAV-4s than they probably were worth, but, that, of course, is the capitalist auto-buisness for you, and the way many dealerships work.

I have long-felt that both Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura were at their peak and produced many of their best vehicles in the 1990s, and, true to form, the RAV-4 was no exception. Mechanically, although it was an all-new vehicle, it used well-proven parts and components (including the all-wheel-drive system) from various different AWD Toyota Tercel, Corolla, and Camry platforms….so there were no reliability problems even on the brand-new design. The ultra-tall square greenhouse windows gave it the outward visibility of a fish-tank…at the expense of the sun quickly heating up the interior. Those were before the days of the classic Toyota cost-cutting (which really got going after 2000)….so the first-generation interior, though not upmarket-lavish, was durable and well-screwed together with high-quality plastics, leathers, and other materials. Unlike most of its rivals, the first-generation RAV-4 was also available in a very short 2-door version (which, IMO, looked even more awkward than the 4-door), but for some reason (I’ve never known why) 2-doors were quite rare here in the D.C. area, and dealerships simply didn’t order them or keep them in stock. Perhaps (?) there was simply more profit for dealerships in the 4-door model (they were selling them at list or more…often above list). Or, perhaps, the type of person or family that would be interested in the 4 door ended that extra room in back, and the 2-door would simply be inadequate. I myself briefly considered a two-door version, in addition to my Celica, as a vehicle to drive in winter when I didn’t want to expose my Celica to road salt/abrasives….but decided against it. Because I knew the salespeople there at the Toyota shop, I probably could have gotten at least a minimal discount on one and avoided a mark-up, but I never could quite live with that odd-looking body-design on the two-door. And, besides, much of the time, I commuted on the subway, particularly in winter….so that also kept my Celica off the worst of the winter roads.

In the U.S., first-generation RAV-4s came with the tried-and-true Toyota non-turbo 2.0L in-line four, a choice of 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission, and a choice of front-wheel-drive or all-wheel drive for those who did not need the extra winter traction. A 2-door convertible version (similar to Isuzu’s Amigo) was also available, but I don’t recall ever seeing one in the D.C area….for that matter, as I mentioned previously, I saw almost no 2-door hardtops. A fully-electric version (no gas engine) was available in California, but mostly to fleet-orders. The drivetrain and mechanicals in these vehicles, while not quite as robust as in the off-road 4Runner, are still, nonetheless, quite durable and well-made. A colleague of mine from my former church, who works at the Pentagon, still has a 1999 four-door RAV-4 that he drives daily as a personal and commuting vehicle…..needing a few age-related repairs but still basically going strong. (I’ve told him, several times, that he was fortunate to have had one Toyota’s best products from the 1990s).

The first-generation model was produced through the 2000 model year, and the second-generation dropped the two-door hardtop and convertible versions altogether. Noticeable cost-cutting in materials and build-solidness started with the second version, and (In my opinion at least) each subsequent version has lost a little more of that original material-solidness in its interior, hardware, and trim. Toyota being Toyota, however, the famous reliability and engineering that the company puts into its drivetrains is still there in the newest RAV-4s, going strong. And I thought the latest RAV-4, introduced a couple of years ago, although still with cheap second-rate trim and interior materials, was major improvement, looks-wise, from the somewhat goofy-looking one that preceded it, although it grew noticeably longer and is now almost a mid-sized crossover.

Indeed, despite its weaknesses, the RAV-4, like the CR-V and Subaru crossovers, is still enormously successful in the American marketplace, and even today, this class of vehicle, particularly the RAV-4. still manages to outsell all but the large domestic pickups.

And, as Always, Happy-Vehicle-Memories

MM
Old 09-14-22, 08:15 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Good gosh, the Rav-4 has come a long way since introduction.
Old 09-14-22, 08:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I remember these fondly. Never had a chance to drive one.

My folks never had a first or second gen RAV4, but have bought a third, fourth, and now fifth gen. They've changed a lot over the years.
Old 09-14-22, 08:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
Originally Posted by JDR76

My folks never had a first or second gen RAV4, but have bought a third, fourth, and now fifth gen. They've changed a lot over the years.
I would say there new RAV4 is in a segment that is completely different than when the first RAV4 was introduced.
Old 09-14-22, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would say there new RAV4 is in a segment that is completely different than when the first RAV4 was introduced.

Somewhat, but not really. Compact crossovers are still compact crossovers, although the latest RAV-4 has grown somewhat, and is almost a mid-sizer in length. In fact, the new Corolla Cross actually now undercuts it somewhat in the Toyota crossover-lineup.
Old 09-14-22, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX469
Roughly 25 years since it was introduced. But, IMO, newer is not necessarily better...the original-generation, which I wrote about here, seemed better-built than any of its successors.
Old 09-14-22, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Like most crossovers, it was somewhat dull on the road and not a terribly exciting vehicle to drive....but you had noticeably better road-manners than the truck-based SUVs of the period, and didn't bounce all over the road from the stiff truck-suspensions. And, of course, because of lighter weight, less power, and better aerodynamics, you also got better gas mileage.
Old 09-14-22, 05:38 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 969 Likes on 773 Posts

My dad when thru a tree hugging gone green stage driving a prius and bragging about the mpgs.
Now he is on his 2nd new Rav 4 and never looked back Loves that car.

The newer ones look more "car like" than the older ones posted above by mmarshall.
I kinda like the older ones.
Old 09-14-22, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
My dad when thru a tree hugging gone green stage driving a prius and bragging about the mpgs.
Now he is on his 2nd new Rav 4 and never looked back Loves that car.
Yes....once covered to crossovers, it's difficult to look back. It took decades, but I was (somewhat) converted myself. That is why compact crossovers have taken over such a huge slice of the American market.

The newer ones look more "car like" than the older ones posted above by mmarshall.
I kinda like the older ones.
The newer ones also drive a little more car-like than the first ones, but, IMO, apart from the always-reliable drivetrains, are not built as well. One can notice the difference in the solidness and quality of interior and exterior materials.
Old 09-14-22, 10:15 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

miss this version of the RAV4... the honest simplicity and danger aspect made it more fun than the current model lol
Old 09-15-22, 05:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
miss this version of the RAV4... the honest simplicity and danger aspect made it more fun than the current model lol
What did you find dangerous about it ?

Old 09-15-22, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I'll add. For the last several days, I've been driving my neighbor's silver 2016 RAV-4 while taking her out for her errands and medical/therapy appointments...she has a severely injured ankle, in a cast, and cannot drive because it is her right foot. Like all RAV-4s, it has a superb-quality drivetrain that still operates and shifts just like clockwork when it was brand-new. But the zig-zag shift-lever is quite difficult to use.....I have to rely on the dash-indicator for PRNDL rather than the shift-assembly itself, because the way they did the shift-notches, it is hard to see where the lever is, particularly in reverse. And, except for a generally comfortable driver's seat, the interior is very disappointing.....essentially a sea of cheap dull-looking/feeling plastic junk. The first-generation RAV-4, which I did my write-up on above, was far better in its interior materials....although, of course neither one can match the interior of my Encore GX.

Old 09-16-22, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

What I find amazing about these is just how SMALL they were...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But the zig-zag shift-lever is quite difficult to use.....I have to rely on the dash-indicator for PRNDL rather than the shift-assembly itself, because the way they did the shift-notches, it is hard to see where the lever is, particularly in reverse.
I just do not understand how you have so much trouble with those Toyota/Lexus shifters....I drove cars with those shifters for 22 years, I never had any issue putting them into the right gear or knowing what gear they were in from the very first time I ever drove one...no reason to even have to look at it to know what position the shifter is in.
Old 09-16-22, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What I find amazing about these is just how SMALL they were...

I just do not understand how you have so much trouble with those Toyota/Lexus shifters....I drove cars with those shifters for 22 years, I never had any issue putting them into the right gear or knowing what gear they were in from the very first time I ever drove one...no reason to even have to look at it to know what position the shifter is in.
Some of the zig zags aren’t too bad, but the shifter in the generation RAV-4 I was referring to (2016) had a confusing array of grooves and plastic corners. It was difficult to see if the lever was in reverse unless the vehicle bumped backwards or you looked at the dash indicator. The other gears were a little easier.
Old 09-16-22, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Looks the same to me...right and down, reverse.

Quick Reply: MM Retro-Write-Up: First-Generation 1995-2000 Toyota RAV-4