Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

7th Gen 2024 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 07:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
That's an amazing lineup, I wonder how the usual rivals will react. I wish the seam welded body was an option for any version
Camaro is discontinued and Challenger is EV only so there is no competition.
Supra, new M2, M4, and new Z will be closest competition.

I wish the S650 looked better - the current gen was probably the best looking Mustang ever. It looked good even in base trim.
Old 09-16-22, 12:03 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Striker223
That's an amazing lineup, I wonder how the usual rivals will react. I wish the seam welded body was an option for any version
The Nissan (Z) rival reacted by reskinning a 20+ year old chassis and dropping in a 6 year engine and then calling it a day.
Old 09-17-22, 12:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Watching some videos on it, I think it looks awesome.
Old 09-17-22, 01:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
The Nissan (Z) rival reacted by reskinning a 20+ year old chassis and dropping in a 6 year engine and then calling it a day.
Yeah for real. They basically just did a factory turbo kit and some better steering lol! I'll admit, it's much nicer if a car than the old gen....

Ford has one hell of a nice lineup here, I can only hope the Godzilla rumors and possible AWD come true
Old 09-17-22, 11:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Not feeling it so far. The bulging rear fenders are overdone and too close to the Camaro. Greenhouse isn't as sexy as the previous model. The shrunken taillights turn the eyes over to the cheapened black bumper trim. Dash screen is just one big rectangle, which isn't sporty, luxurious, nor interesting. Same can be said for every new car debuting with big rectangular screens. Front styling is more square and edgy, but still has the porpoise nose look. If this is the best they could do after all these years, I feel let down.

Old 09-18-22, 06:14 AM
Aegean
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Sport cars like the 2024 Ford Mustang is a dying breed. Even us (car forum members) we get excited with a new performance model but we end up buying something else. 99% of the general public do not even consider their next car to be a mustang. This reminds me the last attempts by Kodak to sell camera film, blackberry to try to sell cell phones or a local videoclub trying to rent out VHS videos. The dual screens and tech added is trying to appeal to the younger generation but Ford forgets that burning tires is so old school for them. It is inevitable for Mustang to sell 10% or less of what was selling 20 years ago and end production before 2030.
Old 09-18-22, 06:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Aegean, agreed, although 'Mustang' as a brand won't go away... it will just be all electric.
Old 09-18-22, 10:11 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aegean
Sport cars like the 2024 Ford Mustang is a dying breed. Even us (car forum members) we get excited with a new performance model but we end up buying something else. 99% of the general public do not even consider their next car to be a mustang. This reminds me the last attempts by Kodak to sell camera film, blackberry to try to sell cell phones or a local videoclub trying to rent out VHS videos. The dual screens and tech added is trying to appeal to the younger generation but Ford forgets that burning tires is so old school for them. It is inevitable for Mustang to sell 10% or less of what was selling 20 years ago and end production before 2030.
Really?
Have you seen sales #s for Mustang and Challenger lately?
C8 Corvette still has waiting lists.

I ordered my Mach 1 back in March and still have not taken delivery.

There is a HUGE demand for performance cars still with ICE especially for whole community that likes to mod / tune cars.

Ford was smart to put tech inside as it needs to appeal to young demographic that has that as a must feature. I just wish the execution of the screens were more integrated into the dash.

If anything, there will be more specialty cars and manual options to serve the needs of the enthusiast community. Just look at all the new cool manual cars that were released in past 12 months.
Old 09-18-22, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I like the front. The side or 3/4 looks like a Camaro. I stopped reading the press release so didn’t follow the engine options. But happy they didn’t make it a EV or hybrid. Should do ok

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Too much plastic cladding on the rear. Looks cheap.
yeah. Super cheap looking. At least Ford put really exhaust pipes unlike the lame look the Germans provide with the fake tail exhaust.
Originally Posted by SC300Es
Looks like they borrowed the digital dash from Kia
no character inside. Needs mechanical gauges, not this hi techy stuff
Old 09-18-22, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They actually did some special stuff with the tech inside. The graphics and animations were designed by unreal engine, which is who designs video game graphics, so it has a big time GranTurismo/Forza look to the animations etc. The gauge cluster has a lot of cool gauge settings, including "FoxBody" which replicates the garges of a Fox body Mustang and they even glow green at night like they did. It has character, its just character aimed at a younger buyer who this appeals to, which is smart.
Old 09-19-22, 09:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
Hows this any different than what Sclass had for past 7 years and many other cars also?

I actually thought they would have more designs for the gauge theme, like foxbody and then original Mustang etc.
Also - its not the screens themselves but the lack of proper dash integration that kills the look of the interior.

All the other bits like seats, door panels, arm rest, cup holders are all carry over with no change. Its like the Ford and Nissan Z team had same bean counters!
Old 09-19-22, 10:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
Hows this any different than what Sclass had for past 7 years and many other cars also?

I actually thought they would have more designs for the gauge theme, like foxbody and then original Mustang etc.
Also - its not the screens themselves but the lack of proper dash integration that kills the look of the interior.

All the other bits like seats, door panels, arm rest, cup holders are all carry over with no change. Its like the Ford and Nissan Z team had same bean counters!
Well the animations are MUCH better, they really feel like a video game. And, those things trickle down.

As for the integration, like it or not this is clearly the style direction we are dealing with for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-19-22, 10:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I was expecting more of an exterior change but great package all around on the Dark Horse and glad to see a 5.0L with an actual manual coming out for 2024.
Old 09-19-22, 11:58 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Motor Trend thinks this will be the display for the base model

Old 09-19-22, 02:56 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Motor Trend thinks this will be the display for the base model

That looks ridiculous