Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

7th Gen 2024 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 06:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
New Mustang still doesn’t have basic features like front bumper sensors, 360 camera, HUD etc.
Does a Tesla have a 360 camera or HUD? I don’t think these features really matter at the end of the day. I don’t know how the new Ford Mustang and the Tesla brand/cars can even be compared.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't see any point in offering both, in that type of layout where they are clearly designed to be virtual, the lower end "real gauges" just look cheap and like an add on. See E Class mercedes, and low trim Kia models with that sort of setup, like the Carnival.
They offer a retro grade style. So it’s all good to me.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-20-22 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-21-22, 06:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They offer a retro grade style. So it’s all good to me.
Yeah I like them to have a normal looking gauge option...I've gotten so used to the virtual gauges I don't even think about it anymore. I just leave mine on classic.
Old 09-21-22, 06:54 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Tesla doesn't make cars, they make rolling tech that happens to be able to drive places. That's the thing the real carmakers don't understand, they need to think like a throwaway item like a phone and what makes people buy those and not what people used to look for in cars since it's just not the same.
Old 09-21-22, 07:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Tesla doesn't make cars, they make rolling tech that happens to be able to drive places. That's the thing the real carmakers don't understand, they need to think like a throwaway item like a phone and what makes people buy those and not what people used to look for in cars since it's just not the same.
Have you driven a Tesla? It is not a throwaway car. They are great to drive. A lot of engineering went into the "real car" design of Tesla's models too. Tesla just strikes a balance that goes more tech forward and thats where a lot of consumers are.

I think we are focusing on two screens way too much with this Mustang. This is a serious enthusiast machine we should be very happy exists...
Old 09-21-22, 07:23 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Have you driven a Tesla? It is not a throwaway car. They are great to drive. A lot of engineering went into the "real car" design of Tesla's models too. Tesla just strikes a balance that goes more tech forward and thats where a lot of consumers are.

I think we are focusing on two screens way too much with this Mustang. This is a serious enthusiast machine we should be very happy exists...
I have driven most of them yes, the S is the only one made somewhat well, they are very heavy cars that really need more brakes and suspension to feel less muscle car like IMO. The Taycan is WAY better of a drive

But yes you are right, this car is amazing and the screens are secondary/unimportant vs what this car is. I am excited to drive one when they come in near me
Old 09-21-22, 07:50 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

I guess manufactures are no longer trying to integrate the screens into the dash anymore. It's a shame. I love new tech but I can't stand how screens slapped in a car now resemble my computer desk at work/home. That's fine for that environment but when I am in the car I'd like it to look more integrated and polished. MB started the stupid trend of sticking an infotainment screen in the center dash top part and then most copied. Then they started making it better, but this just looks so bad. :-(

Not even a fan of how the exterior little changes look, it's odd angles that just don't seem to flow in the front.

-Nigel
Old 09-21-22, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its just the latest styling trend...it will come and go.
Old 09-21-22, 08:10 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Its just the latest styling trend...it will come and go.
Well that was my whole point.
In 10yrs - these screens will look completely outdated as there will be another new fad and graphics will be even better.

Its a dumb way for these automakers to project that they are “tech advanced” by sticking a dumb Ipad and removing all physical controls.
Its done for 2 reasons:
1) try to appeal to young ppl that love Tesla / Apple design simplicity
2) save a ton of money as its much cheaper to stick on a few small screens then actually manufacture physical controls

Old 09-21-22, 08:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Does a Tesla have a 360 camera or HUD? I don’t think these features really matter at the end of the day. I don’t know how the new Ford Mustang and the Tesla brand/cars can even be compared.
Nobody is comparing Tesla to Mustang in terms of the car itself.
The new Mustang interior design (as many other vehicles) are clearly influenced by Tesla with big screens and lack of physical buttons.

My point is its more for show rather than actual benefit to consumers. If they wanted to provide more tech they could at least offer parking sensors on the front bumper!
Old 09-21-22, 08:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We’re not coming back from screens. Information for vehicle drivers will be screens, that’s not going to change. What will change is the way the interior is designed.
Old 09-21-22, 09:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Nobody is comparing Tesla to Mustang in terms of the car itself.
The new Mustang interior design (as many other vehicles) are clearly influenced by Tesla with big screens and lack of physical buttons.!
But you are comparing the new Mustang to Tesla.

And this Mustangs interior looks nothing like it was influenced by Tesla.

My point is its more for show rather than actual benefit to consumers. If they wanted to provide more tech they could at least offer parking sensors on the front bumper!
Ford offers magnaride suspension on the Mustang. Tesla does not.

what about climate controlled (heated and cooled) seats? You can get them on the current Stang. Tesla?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-21-22 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-21-22, 04:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Well that was my whole point.
In 10yrs - these screens will look completely outdated as there will be another new fad and graphics will be even better.

Its a dumb way for these automakers to project that they are “tech advanced” by sticking a dumb Ipad and removing all physical controls.
Its done for 2 reasons:
1) try to appeal to young ppl that love Tesla / Apple design simplicity
2) save a ton of money as its much cheaper to stick on a few small screens then actually manufacture physical controls
buttons dont look outdated in 10 years? If they wanted you could do an update to the screen to change it, cant do that with buttons
Old 09-21-22, 08:33 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
buttons dont look outdated in 10 years? If they wanted you could do an update to the screen to change it, cant do that with buttons
Physical controls have been in cars for 100yrs so no they will not be outdated.
There is no benefit to most ppl to dig through menus to turn on their heated seats or adjust AC functions.

You honestly think manufacturers will be providing updates on screens that are 10yrs old?! I wonder what will happen if they break which is probably inevitable on 10yr + timeframe.
Old 09-21-22, 08:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

But you are comparing the new Mustang to Tesla.

And this Mustangs interior looks nothing like it was influenced by Tesla.

Ford offers magnaride suspension on the Mustang. Tesla does not.

what about climate controlled (heated and cooled) seats? You can get them on the current Stang. Tesla?
Why are we comparing Mustang vs Tesla features lol

Again my point was that the Ipad screen implementation is dumb and done to make it seem that now the new Mustang is tech savvy when in reality it doesn’t have basic functions.

Go to a Tesla store and play with their User Interface for 5 minutes. It is well ahead of any automaker in terms of its capabilities.
Old 09-22-22, 06:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There is no benefit to most ppl to dig through menus to turn on their heated seats or adjust AC functions.
Thats why there needs to be a mixture of common sense physical controls.

And the point about them being outdated, physical controls absolutely do LOOK outdated over time. Just like anything else they are designed to meet current styling trends and those go out of style.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen 2024 Ford Mustang