Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford issues ultimatum to their dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 12:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts
Default Ford issues ultimatum to their dealers

Comply if you want to keep selling EVs

Ford Gives Dealers Six Weeks To Decide If They Want To Continue Selling EVs

In what will certainly send shock waves across the industry, Ford dropped a bomb at its annual dealership meetings in Las Vegas this week. InsideEVs was one of only a handful of news outlets invited to get an early look at the new Model E dealership rules, which included a presentation from Ford CEO Jim Farley.

In short, Ford is telling its dealer network they have to invest, evolve, improve, and offer new services if they want to be a Model E dealership and sell electric vehicles. Model E is a new division that was created when Ford split the company into three arms: Ford Blue Oval, Ford Pro, and Ford Model e. All of Ford's fully electric vehicles now fall under the Model e umbrella, while plug-in hybrids and regular hybrids are part of Ford Blue Oval.

Ford is giving its dealers until October 31st of this year – less than two months – to make a decision that will have huge implications for the future of the franchise. The company is offering its dealers three options:
  • Become a Model E Certified Elite dealership
  • Become a Model E Certified dealership
  • Discontinue selling Model E vehicles effective January 1st, 2024

This feels like a giant crap storm brewing I predict Farley will cave to the dealers and not much will change.
Old 09-15-22, 01:05 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This feels like a giant crap storm brewing I predict Farley will cave to the dealers and not much will change.
I don't think so. I think he wants two primary things out of this, and will get both:

1. Fewer, higher-quality dealers
2. An end to ADMs

#2 is the big one. Dealers tacking on huge ADMs are pissing off customers and driving them away from the brand, which hurts Ford as a company, along with other more honest dealers through "guilt by association".

One of the requirements of the Model E agreement is that dealers will not sell cars for over MSRP. Of course, Ford can't legally prevent them from doing so. But the agreement allows them to stop shipping cars to dealers that violate the agreement.
Old 09-15-22, 01:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I don't think so.
Ford's initiative is already a half measure
The new rules for Model e dealerships require dealers to post set prices for the electric vehicles online at Ford's website. Customers can view the set pricing, complete the purchase online, and even schedule home delivery. But ultimately, it's the dealer's decision what the set pricing will be for the vehicles, and there will likely be price variation from dealer to dealer. Customers will be able to cross-shop different local dealers' prices online, and then choose the one with the lowest set price. The dealers must honor the set pricing for every purchase, and Ford will be checking the purchase orders to make sure that happens.
People can cross shop now that doesn't stop price gouging. Dealer to dealer price differences nullifies the entire EV sales structure Ford is trying to emulate. "Everyone gets the same price (MSRP) except different prices depending on dealer, shop around".

Exactly like it is now.
Old 09-15-22, 01:45 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

The dealership sales model is costly due to the added cost component. Ford's margins already pale in comparison to Tesla's. The dealership is part of that.
Customer's trust in dealers is pretty much zero.
The Internet has changed the car market in so many ways. CEO Farley knows what he is doing; I wish him and his company well.
VW blew it when they canned Diess.
Old 09-15-22, 02:57 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

What they're trying to stop is the practice of adding undisclosed ADM at the point of delivery. Because you can choose any dealer when you order, it's not that hard (subject to your local market) to place the order with a sensible dealership. What's been happening is vehicles have been ordered, assumptions made/represented that the selling price will be MSRP, and when a VIN is created once the production is scheduled and the order can't be moved the dealership whips out the surprise ADM. Both my Fords (and my Land Rover for that matter) were at MSRP, but many others were not so lucky. I think Ford is really telling dealers to follow some basic rules or risk Ford selling the Model E division vehicles the way that Tesla sells them. The separation into divisions prepares them for that. If the Model E division were to spin off, it would likely not be bound by franchise rules and they could be sold the way Tesla, Lucid, Rivian and others sell vehicles.
Old 09-15-22, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
One of the requirements of the Model E agreement is that dealers will not sell cars for over MSRP. Of course, Ford can't legally prevent them from doing so.
Ford probably can prevent dealers from selling over MSRP.......Saturn and Scion did so without any problems. But, like those two companies, it will take a new franchise-contract. If you wanted to sell Saturns or Scions, you signed the contract and promised to abide by a no-dicker/MSRP policy. Violation of those terms could mean loss of the franchise.
Old 09-15-22, 06:36 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ford probably can prevent dealers from selling over MSRP.......Saturn and Scion did so without any problems. But, like those two companies, it will take a new franchise-contract. If you wanted to sell Saturns or Scions, you signed the contract and promised to abide by a no-dicker/MSRP policy. Violation of those terms could mean loss of the franchise.
Or maybe reducing their allotment to zero?
Old 09-15-22, 07:06 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

"Adapt or die" right? We'll see how it pans out for Ford.
Old 09-16-22, 12:29 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 969 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I don't know, seems like they have an ace in their hand with the EV.
Since they can't get them out the door fast enough supply is limited while demand is high as everyone knows.

I hope they can ax the dealers that abuse the situation and get the rest of them in line.
Old 09-16-22, 06:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I like this guy's attitude about dealers...
Old 09-16-22, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I don't know, seems like they have an ace in their hand with the EV.
Since they can't get them out the door fast enough supply is limited while demand is high as everyone knows.

I hope they can ax the dealers that abuse the situation and get the rest of them in line.
I was at Toyota yesterday. I casually asked what is the wait time for a new Toyota, depending on the model 3-6 months for gas. 1 year plus for a hybrid.
Old 09-16-22, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was at Toyota yesterday. I casually asked what is the wait time for a new Toyota, depending on the model 3-6 months for gas. 1 year plus for a hybrid.
Thats in Canada though, its nothing like that here. There are cars on lots you can buy
Old 09-16-22, 09:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats in Canada though, its nothing like that here. There are cars on lots you can buy

This has to be a US site

How long you should expect to wait depends on the Toyota model and spec that you’ve ordered. For Toyota hybrids and plug-in hybrids, wait times are commonly around one year. For the Toyota RAV4 Prime and Prius Prime, wait times are now 18 months to close to two years. Keep this in mind if you’re in the market for a Toyota plug-in hybrid.
https://joinyaa.com/guides/factory-o...der_Wait_Times
Old 09-16-22, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I'll let Jill clarify it, but I think she is talking about those along waits for a factory-order. I waited 4-5 months for both my factory-order Lacrosse and Encore GX...and that was before the computer-chip shortage was really screwing things up.

Obviously, most vehicles sitting on the lot not already marked sold, or being reserved for someone, are fair game....write your check and take one home.
Old 09-17-22, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sure, thats for a factory order, but you dont have to order is my point. I drove by Fitzgerald Toyota last night and they have plenty of cars in stock.

Toyota/Lexus have always had long factory order times

Quick Reply: Ford issues ultimatum to their dealers