EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2023 Lexus RZ vs Tesla Model Y Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 02:38 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 2023 Lexus RZ vs Tesla Model Y Comparison

2023 Lexus RZ vs Tesla Model Y Comparison
By Brett Foote

The new contender takes on its established foe.

Old 09-20-22, 02:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Lexus for the win . Has more buttons (less reliant on software) and has a speedometer
Old 09-20-22, 03:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

As much as I dislike Tesla I would get a Model Y every time.
Old 09-20-22, 03:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

While it won't beat the Model Y in sheer performance or range (at least for now), the Lexus RZ does have the upper hand in terms of its broader appeal and more traditional design. Throw in what promises to be rock-solid reliability, and it's safe to say that plenty of EV shoppers will find it to be a compelling alternative - especially if pricing lands where we expect it to.
Broader appeal? This time next year the Model Y will likely be the best selling car. Of any kind.
Old 09-20-22, 04:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Lexus must catch up to Tesla on battery pack availability; Lexus just doesn't have enough access to traditional lithium ion batteries - alternatively, Lexus must make a breakthrough on alternative battery technologies.
Old 09-21-22, 02:52 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus RZ is the worst Lexus since HS and I am saying this with a sadness in my heart. I really want Lexus BEV to show up and make a killin on the market but I don't want that to be some cheap Toyota reskin but a car like current LS, LC or RC or even upcoming RX
Old 09-21-22, 03:27 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

The RZ needs a range of around 300 miles to compete. The current 200 and long charging time doesn't bode well if one wants to take any kind of trip in the vehicle
Old 09-21-22, 06:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

i believe these will not be cross-shopped much.

the rz buyer is likely someone who doesn't like change that much, hates paying for gas, and doesn't drive far.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-21-22 at 06:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
JeffKeryk (10-08-23), ST430 (10-08-23)
Old 09-21-22, 06:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i believe these will not be cross-shopped much.

the rz buyer is likely someone who doesn't like change that much, hates paying for gas, and doesn't drive far.
Or a Lexus loyalist, especially RX hybrid.. This new EV by Lexus probably will be a perfect replacement for those who had the Lexus RXh the last 10-15 years Perfect replacement aside from the pathetic EV range. MSRP is gonna be $70K to $85K. Just goes to show you how expensive battery electrics. are

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-21-22 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-21-22, 06:30 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

"Wait for the big boys to get in..."
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (08-07-23)
Old 09-21-22, 06:59 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Quite frankly if I were Toyota, I would focus more on actually selling the bZ4X again instead of pushing more limited production vehicles. The bZ launch has been a disaster so far with the stop sale and buyback, they really need to get their stuff ironed out for a Lexus buyer who won't be as forgiving.
Old 09-21-22, 10:36 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We would consider the PHEV RX before this gen 1 RZ. With that said, our Model Y should be ready by December.
Old 08-07-23, 02:26 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

It is a well balanced review. My uncle, who resides in Vancouver, BC has owned a Tesla Model S for close to seven years I believe. Having ridden in his vehicle and knowing it history, I think the decision whether to purchase a Tesla over a Lexus isn't as simple as some posters would have you think.

Tesla
Pros: The Tesla has a much better range than the Lexus. With the extended battery, its range rivals that of Gasoline Powered Cars. Furthermore, with Tesla's Supercharger Network, you can pretty much travel anywhere on the Continental USA along with Canada and always have charging facilities available. In some States and Provinces, the Charging Network is cheaper than buying gasoline or diesel. Finally many hotels and grocery stores now have Tesla Charging Facilities in their parking lots.

Cons: The Tesla has a very unique chassis construction. Its aluminum body build structure, while strong is very unforgiving in the case of a collision. What folks would call a medium intensity collision will often result a Tesla being declared a total loss. Then there is its spare parts availability/lack of parts availability. Tesla tightly controls its parts supply. There is virtually no aftermarket parts and factory parts are very expensive. Often, a simple broken spring is unavailable, thus owners are forced to buy entire subassembly parts costing hundreds or nearly thousands of dollars. Servicing is another issue: most shops can't/won't touch a Tesla. If you don't have a local servicing centre, you will travel some distance for such service. Yes, all Tesla Models require a lot of warranty and out of warranty repairs. My uncle's vehicle's reliability has been on par with that of a Germany Luxury Car.

Lexus

Pros: The vehicle is a conventionally built structure with conventional built materials. The RZ has be repaired at any bodyshop and its mechanical components can be sourced easily from the dealership. The RZ and Toyota BZ are very similar vehicles. Thus you can leverage both Toyota and Lexus' massive dealership network for parts, servicing and even charging facilities. While the vehicle is still too new to be supported by aftermarket parts and repair facilities, its isn't unreasonable to conclude that it will get such support in the future. Also, being built on the common Toyota Platform, its reasonable to conclude it will be a reliable vehicle in the long term, but because it is so new there is no data.

Cons: There is no way around it, the Lexus has a much worse range and its compatibility with chargers isn't as good as Tesla. At this moment, it would be hard to do a cross country trip with an RZ. The vehicle simply doesn't have the range nor the charging infrastructure. Living in the PNW USA, that isn't an issue for me, but saying that, I wouldn't take the RZ across the Midwest US. Then there is the cost, the Tesla get a lot of Federal and State tax rebates, hence is cheaper to purchase. Yes Lexus is giving away $10,000 USD Lease credit, but that still doesn't make it fully competitive. Plus a used Tesla still gets some Federal and many State tax credits which make it even cheaper to buy than an RZ. Finally, just getting ahold of an RZ is tough. Some dealerships have two three year waitlists. Some Tesla models can be purchased with as little as six months of wait time. Used Tesla models can be had for a really good price at many non-Tesla new car dealers, this is especially true in the west coast.

Overall, the decision on which vehicle to buy depends on a lot of factors. If my family plans on only having one car, or if plan on just leasing an electric vehicle, the Tesla is the recommended buy. If my family wants a second car, or I want to keep my vehicle for at least ten year/150,000 miles, then the Lexus wins out. It all depends what your personal situation is. Finally, if you need a car right away, the Tesla might be a better option because it is just easier to find a new/used model on the open market.
The following 4 users liked this post by 850R:
AMIRZA786 (08-07-23), mike995134 (11-11-23), ST430 (08-07-23), vinster29 (06-12-24)
Old 10-08-23, 11:37 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Should have named it Model U

Don’t you buy no ugly car.
Old 10-08-23, 01:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Model Y EVERY SINGLE TIME!

The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
JeffKeryk (10-08-23), signdetres (10-08-23)

Quick Reply: 2023 Lexus RZ vs Tesla Model Y Comparison