Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LX Suspension Repair Is a Costly Endeavor

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 02:46 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus LX Suspension Repair Is a Costly Endeavor

Lexus LX Suspension Repair Is a Costly Endeavor
By Brett Foote

One thing to keep in mind when shopping for the popular SUV.

Old 09-20-22, 06:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The LX had a very nice adaptive variable suspension. Operated with hydraulic fluids and was mechanical. No air. But when they go, an aftermarket conversion would make much much more sense. My 4Runner the air suspension failed out after 16 years, I put coil springs out back. When the mechanically linked shocks wore out, I just went with aftermarket
Old 09-21-22, 07:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Not Lexus vehicles themselves, but when I lived in Mexico, I saw more than my fair share of Toyota pickups and SUVs that were 'imported' and served as invaluable workhorses to do all types of work. Toyota had only officially opened its doors 20 years ago there. However, my uncle had to modify, work on, you name it these vehicles due to lack of a parts network. Not exactly cheap, but got them running.
Old 09-22-22, 06:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

How did Toyota sell cars in Mexico before their dealers?
Old 09-23-22, 05:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How did Toyota sell cars in Mexico before their dealers?
People brought them south across the northern border. The vehicles were either nationalized or brought in illegally and tolerated by the government. Eventually vehicles such as small pickup trucks (of which there were truly none sold legally in Mexico), were allowed to be nationalized with no questions asked. Although Toyota when they opened their dealers in 2002 (I still remember this), went to great lengths to show off their quality, many people who had their Toyota pickups knew the value of them and they proved quite popular.

The only thing why I bring these up with regard to this article, is I did see a few old Landcruisers and on occasion and a few late 90s LXs in Mexico with local plates. On one occasion, I managed to stop on of these people (helped having my RX300 then), and they did say that they wound up with suspension issues on their LX there and had to get the parts from the States. Same issue I found out with Toyota pickup truck owners and a few long-term expats with Lexus/Toyota vehicles. Mexico truly will rip up your suspension very quickly and I replaced shocks just before I left.

Still, suspension issues aside, I still think Lexus/Toyota are the most reliable vehicles on the planet.