Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wandered onto the BMW forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22, 11:56 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 206 Posts

I had 2 Bimmers before, BOTH have left me stranded on the side of the road lol.
Old 09-25-22, 12:17 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
I had 2 Bimmers before, BOTH have left me stranded on the side of the road lol.
Stranded How and what make and year was the car? Modern cars are not going to do this usually. You’re more likely to have electrical annoyances which happens in all brands full of tech.
Old 09-25-22, 12:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I've got 2 BMW's in the garage right now. No issues with either one. Just routine maintenance.
Old 09-25-22, 12:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by PrimeDave
So I got caught up looking at random car info and comparisons of the IS with other brands like the 3 series and 4 series models etc. Scattered through a BMW forum (set up just like this ones template, which is fine) and MAN!! Them folks really hate Lexus LOL. There was a few folks who complimented the IS, but the majority of them "hate the IS" and most other lexus models too lol. L.
My favorite thing on the BMW forums is watching everyone attempt to justify their horrendous reliability and act like throwing a rod or otherwise having a engine fail at 50k miles is no big deal. They routinely say "set XXXX amount aside for repairs" and yes it's always a deep 4 figure number. Absolutely absurd to me. I used to love BMWs in the 90s, and they were more reliable then but hardly Lexus. When a car is a POS, you get rid of it.... Everyone knows I love my cars so much is ridiculous but if they were crappy and breaking down they'd be gone and gone fast. My cars cost me gas and oil changes, and services.

I thought my LS430 was broken the other day bc it wouldn't start everything fine but no crank, was thinking "finally I guess I'll have to have this towed in to the shop". No big deal really considering the car's age, hell it's almost 20 years old. After a few minutes of trial and error I realized it was because the gear shift was slightly out of park (I have no idea how this happened, just one of those things) and wouldn't let the engine crank. So I pulled the shifter back into neutral and she fired right up, then put it in park again....started right up. Of course it wasn't broken, because LS430s don't break. I mean, not really.
Old 09-25-22, 12:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

^
People blowing up engines are usually ones buying used cheap examples and then doing some $500 tune to up the boost and make “crazy” power without doing any other supporting mods.

Most ppl that run conservative tunes and do proper maintenance have zero issues.
Old 09-25-22, 12:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
People blowing up engines are usually ones buying used cheap examples and then doing some $500 tune to up the boost and make “crazy” power without doing any other supporting mods.

Most ppl that run conservative tunes and do proper maintenance have zero issues.
I can't agree. From the factory the V10 M5 had engine failures at about 50k. The E46 M3 also threw rods. Most BMW V8s are dead or blowing blue smoke by 75k-100k miles. Ever seen an BMW engine teardown? It's astounding how bad the engineering is, at least for the vehicle to last.

Now, a 1997 328i with a 5 speed and 190hp I-6 completely different. They drove like heaven and weren't junk. Not Lexus reliable, but decent enough.
Old 09-25-22, 01:22 PM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJT123
My favorite thing on the BMW forums is watching everyone attempt to justify their horrendous reliability and act like throwing a rod or otherwise having a engine fail at 50k miles is no big deal. They routinely say "set XXXX amount aside for repairs" and yes it's always a deep 4 figure number. Absolutely absurd to me. I used to love BMWs in the 90s, and they were more reliable then but hardly Lexus. When a car is a POS, you get rid of it.... Everyone knows I love my cars so much is ridiculous but if they were crappy and breaking down they'd be gone and gone fast. My cars cost me gas and oil changes, and services.

I thought my LS430 was broken the other day bc it wouldn't start everything fine but no crank, was thinking "finally I guess I'll have to have this towed in to the shop". No big deal really considering the car's age, hell it's almost 20 years old. After a few minutes of trial and error I realized it was because the gear shift was slightly out of park (I have no idea how this happened, just one of those things) and wouldn't let the engine crank. So I pulled the shifter back into neutral and she fired right up, then put it in park again....started right up. Of course it wasn't broken, because LS430s don't break. I mean, not really.
Funny that literally nobody does this and nobody with Modern BMW’s complains about the reliability. You’ll see more reliability complaints on a Q50 or Acura forum.
Old 09-25-22, 01:27 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

So basically the BMW forum members make fun of Lexus being boring cars and the Lexus forum members make fun of BMW being unreliable. Seems like members attitudes are the same but about different things.

As for BMW, the B58 is a great engine but is so unreliable they put one in a Toyota, go figure. So that means now Toyota has an unreliable car that is going to fall apart at 50k miles right?

As for maintenance, my BMWs have been cheaper than my Lexus’ because new owners don’t pay for maintenance the first three years which is about as long as I keep cars.

Last edited by patgilm; 09-25-22 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-25-22, 01:30 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Remember, though......projected depreciation is a big factor in determining what the lease-payments will be each month. All else equal, the more the projected depreciation will be, the higher the monthly payment.
That's not true, the manufacturer sets the residuals. It's why BMW's had the best/cheapest lease deals on the luxury market prior to the pandemic and shortage, despite having the lowest resale values on the used market.

Also, most Lexus buyers lease too. On par with BMW, actually.

Old 09-25-22, 01:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kense
Funny that literally nobody does this and nobody with Modern BMW’s complains about the reliability. .
I didn't imagine it.
Old 09-25-22, 02:31 PM
Kense
Instructor

I didn't imagine it.
Then you lied because I’ve been a member there for years and nobody justifies unreliability or complains about constant unreliability anymore than any other car forum. This isn’t 1995. Modern BMWs are reliable. B58 is one of the best most reliable engines out there and it’s paired with the ZF transmission used in Lexus as well so what exactly are you talking about? An abused old high performance V10 BMW engine?
Old 09-25-22, 03:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kense
Then you lied because I’ve been a member there for years and nobody justifies unreliability or complains about constant unreliability anymore than any other car forum. This isn’t 1995. Modern BMWs are reliable. B58 is one of the best most reliable engines out there and it’s paired with the ZF transmission used in Lexus as well so what exactly are you talking about? An abused old high performance V10 BMW engine?
Modern BMWs reliable... pass me what you're smoking.

I'm talking about engines that were great on paper and when they worked, but had fatal design flaws. Nothing to do with "abuse", nice try though. That's pathetic engineering, sorry. Design an engine with an 8k redline but you have to watch it, getting close to 8k because the engine might blow (E46 M3). The modern TTV8 BMWs are a nightmare. BMWs are a lot of things but reliable they're not.
Old 09-25-22, 03:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Modern BMWs reliable... pass me what you're smoking.

I'm talking about engines that were great on paper and when they worked, but had fatal design flaws. Nothing to do with "abuse", nice try though. That's pathetic engineering, sorry. Design an engine with an 8k redline but you have to watch it, getting close to 8k because the engine might blow (E46 M3). The modern TTV8 BMWs are a nightmare. BMWs are a lot of things but reliable they're not.
The V8s have been a curse for a long time however the ZF transmission is better than anything Lexus ever made or makes and the B58 is a god tier engine. I personally prefer V8s so I went Audi since they have the best one but I seriously considered a B58 7-series since it's a killer driveline.

The dark ages of BMW (2000-2015) are why people think they are hell on wheels
Old 09-25-22, 04:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
The V8s have been a curse for a long time however the ZF transmission is better than anything Lexus ever made or makes and the B58 is a god tier engine. I personally prefer V8s so I went Audi since they have the best one but I seriously considered a B58 7-series since it's a killer driveline.

The dark ages of BMW (2000-2015) are why people think they are hell on wheels
Yes the ZF is a great transmission but BMW doesn't make it.

In any case, vast majority of BMWs are leased so who cares. It's not like you can even get a V8 in an LS anymore, and those are heavily leased as well.
Old 09-25-22, 04:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Yes the ZF is a great transmission but BMW doesn't make it.

In any case, vast majority of BMWs are leased so who cares. It's not like you can even get a V8 in an LS anymore, and those are heavily leased as well.
Sure but it DOES come in their cars so I don't care, if I want a ZF8 I need to buy an Audi, BMW, Bentley, Dodge, etc......Lexus just doesn't offer one so they can't claim to have the best transmission. I couldn't care less about the badge or brand if the car has the fit, materials, suspension geometry and metals, and driveline I like. That's the actual car, not the emblem on the hood.

My last pick was between a B58 7, an EA824/825 car, or a W12 Bentley. I wanted the Bentley but parts costs were simply more than I'm willing to accept for the time being

Quick Reply: Wandered onto the BMW forum