Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wandered onto the BMW forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-22, 08:54 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wandered onto the BMW forum

So I got caught up looking at random car info and comparisons of the IS with other brands like the 3 series and 4 series models etc. Scattered through a BMW forum (set up just like this ones template, which is fine) and MAN!! Them folks really hate Lexus LOL. There was a few folks who complimented the IS, but the majority of them "hate the IS" and most other lexus models too lol. A few of them did say Lexus has superior reliability, which is true. That was nice to see that they're not completely delusional lol.

The typical stuff was:
-BMW performance is better than Lexus (mostly true)
-Gas mpg is better in a BMW and BMW has more power.
-Lexus body styling is too ugly in the front. When in reality it just seems like they're saying this to convince themselves that bimmers are better styled....which IMO they ARE NOT. (I thought this was hilarious as Lexus styling since 14 has been top notch and is actually the reason why I bought the IS over ANY 3 series or 4 series. BMW had the best styling IMO in early 2000's once it got to 2010 their top of the line body styling went bye bye.)
-Lexus is slow
-Lexus interior features are subpar (partially true)

Anyway, I thought this stuff was interesting. I'm sure you all have had experiences with BMW owners etc for various reasons. I myself used to own an X5 I had rims and a bull bar added nothing crazy, and YES the X5 was a money pit and unreliable as hell after I think 67k miles on the odometer. It did drive and handled amazingly, but it wasn't worth the headaches and cost of repairs.

I know this is all stuff we've heard before from the German car crowd. Which again is fine, I just got a pretty good laugh at it, mainly their attitudes LOL.

Last edited by PrimeDave; 09-23-22 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-23-22, 09:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't see any lies there to be honest, with perhaps the styling aspect being the only exception given BMW's recent designs.
Old 09-23-22, 09:32 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I mean, what did you expect when you wandered into a forum of a competing brand? I've been on the BMW forums and they're no less nasty than people on here to BMW.
Old 09-23-22, 10:00 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Motorola
I mean, what did you expect when you wandered into a forum of a competing brand? I've been on the BMW forums and they're no less nasty than people on here to BMW.
LOL Thats why I said I "wandered"....I just ended up there while going down this spiral lol. And No it doesn't surprise me. I guess I was also curious at that point, to see how many would say good things about Lexus. It was about 75% negative 25% positive.
Old 09-23-22, 10:05 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PrimeDave
LOL Thats why I said I "wandered"....I just ended up there while going down this spiral lol. And No it doesn't surprise me. I guess I was also curious at that point, to see how many would say good things about Lexus. It was about 75% negative 25% positive.
I feel you. What surprised me the most from what I've seen is how the most hate for Toyota and Lexus doesn't come from any of the Euro car forums, but on forums for Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infiniti.
Old 09-23-22, 10:08 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Motorola
I feel you. What surprised me the most from what I've seen is how the most hate for Toyota and Lexus doesn't come from any of the Euro car forums, but on forums for Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infiniti.
YES! I've noticed this too!! Its just all very interesting what "justifications" people will come up with, to validate their choice in vehicle brand over a different brand. Some of their justifications are accurate, but many of them are totally inaccurate and BS LOL
Old 09-23-22, 10:09 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you just wander here too? Lol. I remember this guy call all Asian cars "tin cans". He's right in a way but he always **** people when they brought Asian cars into conversation. He ended up getting booted.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't see any lies there to be honest, with perhaps the styling aspect being the only exception given BMW's recent designs.
I think so too.
Old 09-23-22, 10:12 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Did you just wander here too? Lol. I remember this guy call all Asian cars "tin cans". He's right in a way but he always **** people when they brought Asian cars into conversation. He ended up getting booted.

I think so too.
NOPE I definitely didn't "wander" here when I own a lexus.... sorry to disappoint you
Old 09-23-22, 11:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PrimeDave
So I got caught up looking at random car info and comparisons of the IS with other brands like the 3 series and 4 series models etc. Scattered through a BMW forum (set up just like this ones template, which is fine) and MAN!! Them folks really hate Lexus LOL. There was a few folks who complimented the IS, but the majority of them "hate the IS" and most other lexus models too lol. A few of them did say Lexus has superior reliability, which is true. That was nice to see that they're not completely delusional lol.

The typical stuff was:
-BMW performance is better than Lexus (mostly true)
-Gas mpg is better in a BMW and BMW has more power.
-Lexus body styling is too ugly in the front. When in reality it just seems like they're saying this to convince themselves that bimmers are better styled....which IMO they ARE NOT. (I thought this was hilarious as Lexus styling since 14 has been top notch and is actually the reason why I bought the IS over ANY 3 series or 4 series. BMW had the best styling IMO in early 2000's once it got to 2010 their top of the line body styling went bye bye.)
-Lexus is slow
-Lexus interior features are subpar (partially true)

Anyway, I thought this stuff was interesting. I'm sure you all have had experiences with BMW owners etc for various reasons. I myself used to own an X5 I had rims and a bull bar added nothing crazy, and YES the X5 was a money pit and unreliable as hell after I think 67k miles on the odometer. It did drive and handled amazingly, but it wasn't worth the headaches and cost of repairs.

I know this is all stuff we've heard before from the German car crowd. Which again is fine, I just got a pretty good laugh at it, mainly their attitudes LOL.
My sister had a BMW and my brother still has a BMW. The more and more I see my brothers BMW and hear about his experience the more I realize that once the initial lustre is gone, the experience is not as great. My brother has 2014, lots of little things going wrong all over the place. Compared to a Lexus, they just work….but I find Lexus is quite different. I think Lexus does mainstream FWD far better than they do expensive RWD. Look how old the engines are in the Lexus F stuff but the hybrid tech is so gar ahead of the competition. Whereas BMW hits the driving experience far far better and new tech far far better

My bother needs new bushings now. Check engine light all the time. It’s a diesel

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-23-22 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-23-22, 12:02 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My sister had a BMW and my brother still has a BMW. The more and more I see my brothers BMW and hear about his experience the more I realize that once the initial lustre is gone, the experience is not as great. My brother has 2014, lots of little things going wrong all over the place. Compared to a Lexus, they just work….but I find Lexus is quite different. I think Lexus does mainstream FWD far better than they do expensive RWD. Look how old the engines are in the Lexus F stuff but the hybrid tech is so gar ahead of the competition. Whereas BMW hits the driving experience far far better and new tech far far better

My bother needs new bushings now. Check engine light all the time. It’s a diesel
My sister had a new 330i about 20 years ago. It slowed down on freeway and she had to pull onto the shoulder. She also often found things turned on/opened over night. I heard bad things about the brand but this one always sticks out. It kept me out of the brand for a good two decades. Despite of all troubles, this is what she told me, "Once you drive a BMW, you can't turn back." About less than 2 years ago when I couldn't find another right Lexus, I took the plunge and got the G05. I have to thank Steve because it was his post that pushed me to the other side. To be honest with you, this thing is totally different from all the Lexus vehicles I had. The one that drives close to it is the 4GS F Sports, but it's a sedan and also lacks other techs. Most if not all know it gets expensive when it's out of warranty. They are not for those who buy and keep cars for very long time. But even with new Lexus, majority don't keep them long either. So reliability becomes less an important factor on these modern cars.
Old 09-23-22, 12:46 PM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

This is very similar to my experience with my X5.. As soon as I fixed one thing, a month later, another thing would break. Just on and on. (This is once it was out of warranty).

I agree with you on all points.
Old 09-23-22, 01:04 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Most owners have confirmation bias. This forum is no different.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
Old 09-23-22, 05:41 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I’m a member on the BMW forums as well and there are definitely some die hard BMW members but there are also some very open minded ones as well, especially ones that came from other makes. The die hards are a little much and not very open minded but you have those on every forum.
Old 09-23-22, 08:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If you think BMW forums are bad then definitely don’t “wander” to Porsche or Ferrari lol

I think if you post in “Car Chat” section of BMW forum, you will find many ppl who are respectful of all brands.

All car forums have die hard fans and especially enthusiast brands like BMW will have much more passionate following than some other makes.
Old 09-23-22, 09:58 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m on Bimmerpost as I have an M340i. Nobody hates Lexus from what I’ve seen it’s more disappointment than anything. Also looks are subjective so saying one looks better than the other means nothing. The fact is most people who get certain BMW models are into performance (me) there is nothing in the Lexus line up that is that really comparable to performance German models . The same class IS500 is fairly slower than my M340i, which has been very reliable by the way. Let’s not even get started on the G series M cars that punch way above their weight.

I also think most BMW people are tired of the running My boss, My Brother in Law, My Neighbor My so I’m so had a BMW and it blew up and left me stranded crap. I used to listen to that before I actually got one myself . I think a lot of that talk is just regurgitated stereotypical hearsay . Most of not all modern cars are reliable mechanically so that nonsense hopefully starts to fade away. My Acura TL was a POS and my Q50 Redsport sucked in the serpentine belt and the engine blew.

When on other car forums the German car attacks always boil down to hey at least my ———— will last 20 years. That’s all people have?

Quick Reply: Wandered onto the BMW forum