Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 m2 seen - could it be any uglier?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 10:12 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You all are arguing aesthetics, everyone will have a different opinion. Why doesn't the internet ever learn this?
Old 09-26-22, 10:15 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,808 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
You all are arguing aesthetics, everyone will have a different opinion. Why doesn't the internet ever learn this?
It's my mission to make sure the entire internet agrees with me lol.

I don't know, honestly I will need to see better photos of the M2 to make a real assessment. The normal 2er is okay looking thanks to its proportions. I still don't find it pretty though.
Old 09-27-22, 08:22 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
bmw fans will defend anything.
bmw fans will defend anything ...that's right. I peaked at the post on bmw forums. They seem to respond the same way like here. The only issue is most don't look at how the pictures were taken but just judge.

Old 09-27-22, 08:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
bmw fans will defend anything ...that's right. I peaked at the post on bmw forums. They seem to respond the same way like here. The only issue is most don't look at how the pictures were taken but just judge.
Unfortunately a certain forum is Banning members that are critical of the design and deleting negative posts so you may not be seeing the full picture.

This started when G8x M3/4 came out and most long time members were banned
Old 09-27-22, 08:34 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kense
Not sure you’ve been to Bimmerpost but this has been confirmed as the car so what else are you expecting to see?
I’m expecting to see high definition pics of the car in various angles and different colors.

Do I think its a great design? No
But i also don’t think its as bad as new M3/4 disaster.

Lets at least see official launch before we write off this design from low quality pics at weird angles.
Old 09-27-22, 08:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
of course, blame the photographers.
Old 09-27-22, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lets at least see official launch before we write off this design from low quality pics at weird angles.
it's based on the 2 series, so how different could it be?

Old 09-27-22, 10:35 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m expecting to see high definition pics of the car in various angles and different colors.

Do I think its a great design? No
But i also don’t think its as bad as new M3/4 disaster.

I don't think the G80/82 is a disaster, the grille is the only issue some have with the car. Other than that the rest of the car looks fantastic. It's also a beast performance wise. I'm sure the M2 will also be a monster but there are no good angles so far. It looks like a cheap body kit slapped on a 2 series. The Rear and the front is horrible. At least with the G80's you can get a Black one and hide the one major issue. It's a wide mean looking car.
Old 09-27-22, 10:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think the G80/82 is a disaster, the grille is the only issue some have with the car. Other than that the rest of the car looks fantastic. It's also a beast performance wise. I'm sure the M2 will also be a monster but there are no good angles so far. It looks like a cheap body kit slapped on a 2 series. The Rear and the front is horrible. At least with the G80's you can get a Black one and hide the one major issue. It's a wide mean looking car.
The whole design of G8x is absolute crap but M3 looks much better than M4.
1. Grilles are horrendous
2. Hood (Dodge Charger with FAKE indents and no power dome)
3. M4 no longer has Hofmeister kink
4. No strong character line on side as BMW hallmark
5. Fake plastic side gills on front fender with no opening
6. The rear overhang on M4 is way too long and doesn’t look like traditional RWD BMW but like FWD Accord.
7. Shiny Black trim all through the bottom panels of the car looks like crap
8. M4 doesn’t have flared rear fenders
9. M3 rear door is not flared to lineup with rear fender properly like it was on F80 M3

The Mechanical deficiencies include:
1. No more DCT
2. Huge weight increase
3. Floating rear calipers
4. Less use of CF like F8x had for front STB, Driveshaft

Just look how long the rear half of the car is from the doors. Nothing sporty about the design.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-27-22 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 11:00 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

of course, blame the photographers.
it's based on the 2 series, so how different could it be?
I wouldn't mind having one of these. And the most important part is the picture was taken correctly.
Old 09-27-22, 12:15 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,808 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I don't think the looks would stop me from buying an M2, M3, or M4 if I was genuinely interested. But still, I think it's a shame that the regular 3er is better looking than the M3.

Old 09-27-22, 01:26 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole design of G8x is absolute crap but M3 looks much better than M4.
1. Grilles are horrendous
2. Hood (Dodge Charger with FAKE indents and no power dome)
3. M4 no longer has Hofmeister kink
4. No strong character line on side as BMW hallmark
5. Fake plastic side gills on front fender with no opening
6. The rear overhang on M4 is way too long and doesn’t look like traditional RWD BMW but like FWD Accord.
7. Shiny Black trim all through the bottom panels of the car looks like crap
8. M4 doesn’t have flared rear fenders
9. M3 rear door is not flared to lineup with rear fender properly like it was on F80 M3

The Mechanical deficiencies include:
1. No more DCT
2. Huge weight increase
3. Floating rear calipers
4. Less use of CF like F8x had for front STB, Driveshaft

Just look how long the rear half of the car is from the doors. Nothing sporty about the design.

While all the looks complaints are your opinion, the mechanical complaints are just complaints because this car beats everything in it's class. The weight really means nothing with this car. It's blowing everything away. Who cares about the DCT when you can get it in a Manual.
Old 09-27-22, 02:06 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The 2/4 Series have questionable design features but I don't mind the proportions, unlike most other recent BMW's. "Accord proportions" is literally what I think of when I see the upcoming 5 Series. Wow, that front overhang.

Old 09-27-22, 03:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

While all the looks complaints are your opinion, the mechanical complaints are just complaints because this car beats everything in it's class. The weight really means nothing with this car. It's blowing everything away. Who cares about the DCT when you can get it in a Manual.
What lol

Most ppl buy the Auto version and the DCT is way superior as has been shown on multiple YouTube videos.

The G8x is faster in a straight line but it feels like a luxury sedan and no longer has the raw “oh crap” feel that F8x gives you. Model 3 will beat any G8x in a race, doesn’t mean i would prefer Model 3.

There is a reason the Nurburgring Taxi guys went back to F80 M3 from G80. Weight was a huge factor.

The F8x was really overengineered with tremendous time spent on weight savings, engine cooling, and dynamics. It was the last M3 worked on Albert Biermann. One of the reasons he left was bec BMW cheapened out and didn’t want to continue with DCTs. So now Hyundais have one but M cars don’t lol!

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-27-22 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-27-22, 04:36 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The 2/4 Series have questionable design features but I don't mind the proportions, unlike most other recent BMW's. "Accord proportions" is literally what I think of when I see the upcoming 5 Series. Wow, that front overhang.

I agree with this. The 5-Series has a VERY bloated and heavy mid-rear section. This is due to it being a "compromise platform" to suit both EV and ICE under one body.

Ultimately, the new 7 Series's length helps hide the visual bloat, but the shorter 5 Series suffers from this a lot. Meanwhile when you compare the upcoming E Class to the EQE, it has much more normal, balanced proportions because it's not forced to compromise for both EV and ICE utilizations.

Regarding the 2 and 4.. I really don't see the issue with the 2's proportions that other people in this thread have. It's has a hofmeister kink, consistent body line, upright greenhouse like previous BMW Coupes, very similar to the E36 especially in it's boxiness. Meanwhile the 4 has no defining body line, no hofmeister kink, and a mustang-esque roofline.

Quick Reply: 2023 m2 seen - could it be any uglier?