Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 m2 seen - could it be any uglier?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-22 | 04:38 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The G8x is faster in a straight line but it feels like a luxury sedan and no longer has the raw “oh crap” feel that F8x gives you. Model 3 will beat any G8x in a race, doesn’t mean i would prefer Model 3.

There is a reason the Nurburgring Taxi guys went back to F80 M3 from G80. Weight was a huge factor.

The F8x was really overengineered with tremendous time spent on weight savings, engine cooling, and dynamics. It was the last M3 worked on Albert Biermann. One of the reasons he left was bec BMW cheapened out and didn’t want to continue with DCTs. So now Hyundais have one but M cars don’t lol!
I know we've gone way off topic.. but the G80 M3 is considered a semi "return to form" in terms of driving experience by many, as the F80 M3 downgraded the experience from the E90 M3. Pretty much every review says the steering feel is better, the chassis feels great and solid on track and backroads, and of course the torque monster engine. I haven't heard any significant complaints about the switch from DCT to ZF8.
Old 09-27-22 | 04:44 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gor134
Ultimately, the new 7 Series's length helps hide the visual bloat, but the shorter 5 Series suffers from this a lot.
The 7 Series is slightly less bloated but shares the same massive front overhang. Batteries shouldn't extend past the axles and none of these vehicles have proper frunks so I can't see any reason for this other than a deliberate aesthetic decision like the gaping beaver teeth.

But yeah, while the overhang doesn't look good on the 7, on the 5 it straight up transforms it into FWD vehicle.
Old 09-27-22 | 04:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

This is a 2019 5 Series. In this shot the front overhang appears to be much less than the camo pictures above. I always like the proportions of the G30 gen.

Old 09-27-22 | 06:55 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

The Mechanical deficiencies include:
1. No more DCT
2. Huge weight increase
3. Floating rear calipers
4. Less use of CF like F8x had for front STB, Driveshaft
I’ve had a few BMWs now and one thing I always noticed was all of them have floating rear calipers. For such expensive cars that floating rear caliper looks so cheap. My GTR, Durango SRT, LS600, etc had nice rear calipers. Is there a reason BMW doesn’t use fixed rear calipers?
Old 09-27-22 | 06:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’ve had a few BMWs now and one thing I always noticed was all of them have floating rear calipers. For such expensive cars that floating rear caliper looks so cheap. My GTR, Durango SRT, LS600, etc had nice rear calipers. Is there a reason BMW doesn’t use fixed rear calipers?
Because you need to buy the AMG/S/RS/M car for that.......oh it's an M2 you say? Too bad, real M cars start with a 5 in the name. Germans paywall the hell out of their cars.
Old 09-27-22 | 07:06 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Striker223
Because you need to buy the AMG/S/RS/M car for that.......oh it's an M2 you say? Too bad, real M cars start with a 5 in the name. Germans paywall the hell out of their cars.
I saw a S5 today and it had floating rear calipers and I think the M5 also has floating rear calipers. It can’t cost that much more for fixed rear calipers can it? A lowly Dodge Charger 392 has nice rear brembo calipers. Now the new M3 also has floating rear calipers.
Old 09-27-22 | 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A lowly Dodge Charger 392 has nice rear brembo calipers. Now the new M3 also has floating rear calipers.
There's nothing "lowly" about a Hemi Charger. If nothing else, look at its sales-figures.
Old 09-27-22 | 07:59 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's nothing "lowly" about a Hemi Charger. If nothing else, look at its sales-figures.
What I mean by that is that it’s not even a top SRT trim and it has nice brakes just like the top of the line chargers.
Old 09-27-22 | 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This is a 2019 5 Series. In this shot the front overhang appears to be much less than the camo pictures above. I always like the proportions of the G30 gen.
i agree that looks great.

the proto 5 looks horrendous.
Old 09-27-22 | 08:30 PM
Kense
Instructor

What lol

Most ppl buy the Auto version and the DCT is way superior as has been shown on multiple YouTube videos.

The G8x is faster in a straight line but it feels like a luxury sedan and no longer has the raw “oh crap” feel that F8x gives you. Model 3 will beat any G8x in a race, doesn’t mean i would prefer Model 3.

There is a reason the Nurburgring Taxi guys went back to F80 M3 from G80. Weight was a huge factor.

The F8x was really overengineered with tremendous time spent on weight savings, engine cooling, and dynamics. It was the last M3 worked on Albert Biermann. One of the reasons he left was bec BMW cheapened out and didn’t want to continue with DCTs. So now Hyundais have one but M cars don’t lol!
But you have the option. Other than the Blackwing who else gives you a manual option and the ZF transmission gets no complaints. The DCT was jerky as hell and annoying for daily driving. The G80 is more than just straight line speed the handing is phenomenal and won’t kill you. The only complaints are the steering feel but that’s most modern cars.
Old 09-28-22 | 03:45 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

They went back to the F80 because of the difficulty in getting wear parts reliably and consistently for the G80 platform at this point in the lifecycle, and with the supply chain issues going on. Things like axle shafts, bushings, etc, that they have to replace regularly on all their ring taxis and rentals, they have over a year's supply of sitting on the shelf for the F80. But they have to painstakingly source each one for the G80 at the moment. That's manageable if you're a privateer doing an event once a month. It's not tenable if you're trying to run a business with multiple vehicles driving at 110% for 8-12 hours a day, seven days a week.

Misha specifically said weight was far less of an issue than expected. Tires do wear faster, as you would expect from a heavier car with significantly more mechanical grip and far better turn in than its lighter predecessor (thanks to dramatically-improved suspension geometry). But once they added their own ducting to cool the front brakes (which they also did on the F80), a set of pads actually lasts twice as long on the newer, heavier car as it did on the older one.
Old 09-29-22 | 09:01 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gor134
I know we've gone way off topic.. but the G80 M3 is considered a semi "return to form" in terms of driving experience by many, as the F80 M3 downgraded the experience from the E90 M3. Pretty much every review says the steering feel is better, the chassis feels great and solid on track and backroads, and of course the torque monster engine. I haven't heard any significant complaints about the switch from DCT to ZF8.
You are 100% wrong on F8x.
The only criticism of the car compared to E9x were the engine/exhaust sound which obviously is a valid point and the steering which went from hydraulic to electric. In all other ways, the F8x was superior and had tremendous engineering improvements. It was a huge leap in performance and track capability over the E9x and all previous M3s.

The G8x is a marginal improvement in comparison and many ways a step backwards. Many ppl compare it now to M5 lite rather than M3 as its character now is more of a luxury car thats very sporty rather than a sporty car with some luxury. Go drive F80 M3 Comp and G80 M3 Comp back to back - the raw character and DCT downshifts on the F8x are not comparable. Its a much more engaging car.

For younger ppl - the G8x is better as its in your face ugly, much easier to drive and its much more comfortable. Basically like an M5 lol
Old 09-29-22 | 09:07 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

The F8x M3 had fixed calipers.
They got rid of them when they went to ZF auto and electronic parking brake. They could added fixed caliper but that would cost more $$$.

Thats another thing i love about my F80 - a real manual handbrake!
Old 09-29-22 | 09:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kense
But you have the option. Other than the Blackwing who else gives you a manual option and the ZF transmission gets no complaints. The DCT was jerky as hell and annoying for daily driving. The G80 is more than just straight line speed the handing is phenomenal and won’t kill you. The only complaints are the steering feel but that’s most modern cars.
As a daily driver - G8x is much better sure.
As i stated, its easier to drive and more comfortable but is that what an M car should be at the sacrifice of raw performance and engagement.

I daily drove my 2016 M3 with DCT in NYC without any issues. You just need to put some effort in learning how to drive. To me that’s what makes certain cars special that your average joe can’t go in it and drive like he is Ayrton Senna which is what basically new M3 does. You need zero skill to operate it.
Old 09-29-22 | 09:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
They went back to the F80 because of the difficulty in getting wear parts reliably and consistently for the G80 platform at this point in the lifecycle, and with the supply chain issues going on. Things like axle shafts, bushings, etc, that they have to replace regularly on all their ring taxis and rentals, they have over a year's supply of sitting on the shelf for the F80. But they have to painstakingly source each one for the G80 at the moment. That's manageable if you're a privateer doing an event once a month. It's not tenable if you're trying to run a business with multiple vehicles driving at 110% for 8-12 hours a day, seven days a week.

Misha specifically said weight was far less of an issue than expected. Tires do wear faster, as you would expect from a heavier car with significantly more mechanical grip and far better turn in than its lighter predecessor (thanks to dramatically-improved suspension geometry). But once they added their own ducting to cool the front brakes (which they also did on the F80), a set of pads actually lasts twice as long on the newer, heavier car as it did on the older one.
Well they also mentioned at end of video that now parts are easier to get then 2-3months ago yet I don’t see them going back to G8x car?! Lol

Again - i’m not saying G8x is terrible, its a Great car and from a number’s standpoint its better than F8x. To me and others, car ownership is more about raw numbers on a spec sheet - its design, emotion, feel etc which is where G8x comes up short. Also there are several engineering deficiencies compared to F8x which i listed that were primarily due to cost.