Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Chevy Silverado HD gets more powerful turbodiesel V8s, nicer interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 01:18 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2024 Chevy Silverado HD gets more powerful turbodiesel V8s, nicer interior

+

Chevrolet gave the light-duty Silverado 1500 a round of updates for the 2022 model year, and now it's time for the heavy-duty variants to get a mid-cycle refresh. The 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD benefits from a new-look design, a nicer interior, and a more powerful turbodiesel V8.

The engine range still includes a 6.6-liter Duramax turbodiesel V8 and a gasoline-burning 6.6-liter V8 capable of running on E85 fuel. On the diesel side of the lineup, the Duramax now delivers 470 horsepower and a mammoth 975 pound-feet of torque, up from 445 and 910, respectively, in the 2023 HD. Chevrolet notes it increased low-end torque by up to 25% for better performance at low speeds and up hills.

On the gasoline side, the V8 is rated at 401 horsepower and 464 pound-feet of torque, figures that are unchanged from 2023. What's different is that the eight-cylinder now shifts through the same 10-speed automatic transmission as the turbodiesel eight. Adding four gears (the 2023 model shipped with a six-speed automatic) allows the engine to hold peak power for longer periods, according to the firm.

"We chose to focus on the diesel this year; our customers are happy with the V8's output," Chevrolet told Autoblog.

Rear-wheel-drive comes standard regardless of which V8 is under the hood, and four-wheel-drive is available at an extra cost across the range. Towing and hauling remain the HD's strongest points: the 3500HD can pull up to 36,000 pounds (about the weight of 15 Mazda MX-5 Miatas) when it's fitted with dual rear wheels and a fifth-wheel hitch, and the 10-speed automatic increases the gasoline-powered model's gross combined weight rating (GCWR) from 24,000 to 26,000 pounds. Properly configured, the Silverado HD can haul 7,290 pounds.

The visual changes include a redesigned grille, new-look headlights with C-shaped LED daytime running lights, standard tow hooks, "CHEVROLET" lettering on the hood scoop, and additional wheel designs ranging from 17 to 22 inches. Six colors called Sterling Gray, Dark Ash, Radiant Red, Auburn Metallic, Lakeshore Blue Metallic, and Meteorite Metallic join the palette.

Bigger changes are found in the cabin. LT, LTZ, and High Country trim levels ship with a 13.4-inch display for the infotainment system and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. If the design looks familiar, it's likely because the Silverado 1500 gained a very similar setup for 2022. Chevrolet told Autoblog that Work Truck and Custom models will keep the outgoing truck's more basic interior. Thirsty? The cabin offers up to 10 cupholders. Google Assistant compatibility and a 120-volt outlet in the cargo box are available as well.

Chevrolet also expanded the list of standard and optional driving aids. Adaptive Cruise Control with Trailer is new for 2024; it lets the optional adaptive cruise control system take into account a trailer's drag and the effect that it has on the truck's braking distance. Enhanced Transparent Trailer works with fifth-wheel and gooseneck hitches, Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert extends the blind zone area, and GCW Alert warns drivers if they exceed the GCWR. Front Pedestrian Braking, Forward Collision Alert, and lane departure warning come standard.

At launch, the 2024 Silverado HD range will include two models called 2500HD and 3500HD. Each will be offered in Regular Cab, Double Cab, and Crew Cab configurations, and buyers will have the option of ordering the 3500HD with dual rear wheels for increased towing and hauling. They'll also have five trim levels to choose from: Work Truck, Custom, LT, LTZ, and High Country. Looking ahead, Chevrolet will launch a long-awaited (and long-rumored) off-road-focused trim called ZR2 later in the 2024 model year.

It doesn't end there. High Country buyers can order a Midnight Edition appearance package that bundles black chrome exterior accents, black emblems, and 20-inch wheels, among other features. The Z71 Sport Edition and Alaskan Snow Plow packages return as well.

The 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD will make its public debut at the 2022 Texas State Fair's media day, which is scheduled for September 29. Production will start in the first quarter of 2023 in Flint, Michigan, and in Oshawa, Canada. Pricing will be announced in the coming months.
Source
Old 09-26-22, 01:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

That is a NICE truck
Old 09-26-22, 03:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Seriously upgraded interior with a column shifter.
Old 09-26-22, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
I didn’t catch that. Good eye I thinks it’s great
Old 09-26-22, 10:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Very impressive interior. Front end is also a huge improvement, which was easy to accomplish considering the past unit.

Old 09-27-22, 04:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Very impressive interior. Front end is also a huge improvement, which was easy to accomplish considering the past unit.
how is the front a huge improvement? i've never seen a vehicle with such an unnecessarily high hood impeding visibility. just horrible.
Old 09-27-22, 05:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how is the front a huge improvement? i've never seen a vehicle with such an unnecessarily high hood impeding visibility. just horrible.
Needed for ranchers. (No bull bar required) 🐄

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-27-22 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 09:08 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

nice truck. i see these running around the city all nice and clean, to which i scratch my head if they are actually towing something - perhaps only on occasion?
Old 09-27-22, 09:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Agree, great looking interior. However I don’t think the column shift is new, been around at least 10 years

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
nice truck. i see these running around the city all nice and clean, to which i scratch my head if they are actually towing something - perhaps only on occasion?
mine usually is clean, and it’s often towing or hauling something but not always. If I’m driving it vs a more fuel efficient vehicle there is a reason beyond transportation
Old 09-27-22, 10:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
mine usually is clean, and it’s often towing or hauling something but not always. If I’m driving it vs a more fuel efficient vehicle there is a reason beyond transportation
is your GMC like this?

be careful, you might find people LIVING in the fenders over the wheels.

Old 09-27-22, 10:29 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Agree, great looking interior. However I don’t think the column shift is new, been around at least 10 years
It’s been available I would guess— the whole time, maybe not necessarily in all trims.

I want a good ole GM column shifter made to be slammed. Love the one in my ancient Yukon. The new modern console shifter looks nice and neat but no thanks. Column shifter is a must in any American truck.

Chevy and GMC aren’t getting great feedback with the horrendous buttons in the Tahoe and Yukon.
Old 09-27-22, 12:41 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 509 Likes on 442 Posts

The Scopion still top's the D-max in hp/torque w/ 475hp & 1050 lbs of grunt.......
Old 09-27-22, 03:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

It’s been available I would guess— the whole time, maybe not necessarily in all trims.

I want a good ole GM column shifter made to be slammed. Love the one in my ancient Yukon. The new modern console shifter looks nice and neat but no thanks. Column shifter is a must in any American truck.

Chevy and GMC aren’t getting great feedback with the horrendous buttons in the Tahoe and Yukon.
I appreciate it too, more for the space savings in the interior though.

I’d love to see a picture of that on a 2012 or up Chevy or gmc 2500 with a console shifter if you can find one!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
is your GMC like this?

be careful, you might find people LIVING in the fenders over the wheels.
yep nearly identical, less the snow plow attachments or whatever mount that is in front. You ever owned a 4x4 and understand how all that suspension travel works in trucks? Or did you drive around with busted suspension and dented fenders
Old 09-27-22, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I can't get over that grille.........it looks like the Great Wall of China coming at you LOL.
Old 09-27-22, 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You ever owned a 4x4 and understand how all that suspension travel works in trucks? Or did you drive around with busted suspension and dented fenders
had a (new then) f150 back in '04. not a heavy duty monster like yours but nowhere near the wheel/fender gap that thing has. and yes it was used to tow, a horse trailer regularly.

i know yours is very functional for you, i just don't care for or see the need for the hood being that high. i think it screams "look at me, i'm big and tough".

Quick Reply: 2024 Chevy Silverado HD gets more powerful turbodiesel V8s, nicer interior