Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick recruits new celebrities for publicity

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-22, 04:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The question is, do car manufacturers turn to celebrities to promote their brand when things are becoming desperate? Is it more of a gimmick using figures instead of product to promote? Not saying Buick does, just an honest question.
plenty of successful companies and/or products use celebrity spokes people. It has nothing to do with desperation.
Old 10-02-22, 08:32 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's interesting to me that some of these brands don't target influences on youtube, twitch, twitter, etc more than they currently do. Some of these channels have HUGE audiences (10's of millions each), with known demographics and data points, and are not as expensive (still) has traditional media. Almost seems too easy, but perhaps i'm missing a few keys pieces to the marketing puzzle.
Old 10-03-22, 05:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
It's interesting to me that some of these brands don't target influences on youtube, twitch, twitter, etc more than they currently do. Some of these channels have HUGE audiences (10's of millions each), with known demographics and data points, and are not as expensive (still) has traditional media. Almost seems too easy, but perhaps i'm missing a few keys pieces to the marketing puzzle.
Because they are stupid and completely out of touch.
Old 10-03-22, 05:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Things are hardly desperate for Buick, as they are probably THE most sought-after brand in China
not any longer? looks like the shine has come off buick in china...

https://jalopnik.com/buicks-latest-c...has-1849040056
Old 10-03-22, 05:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Because they are stupid and completely out of touch.
Brands do have these. They are called brand ambassadors. I think Roger Federer is a Mercedes BA

https://www.lexus.com.au/about-lexus/brand-ambassadors

Here is Lexus in Aus.
Originally Posted by ABC
Like to who? Give me an example
Old 10-03-22, 06:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Roger Federer isn't a SM influencer. Its an example of the industry not recognizing the new media landscape.

An example? Marcus Brownslee and Tesla. Tesla cultivated a relationship with him and he has a Model S Plaid that he has discussed on his channels and it fits perfectly with Tesla's brand.
Old 10-03-22, 06:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Roger Federer isn't a SM influencer. Its an example of the industry not recognizing the new media landscape.

An example? Marcus Brownslee and Tesla. Tesla cultivated a relationship with him and he has a Model S Plaid that he has discussed on his channels and it fits perfectly with Tesla's brand.
So he is a brand ambassador on social media. He panders to an audience so he will be very one sided. I think some would see right though the brand in these cases …

Some brands don’t need influencing on social media.

Does Buick need it?

They DO. They are all invited to these car launch’s. Most are not journalists IMO. They are just people who have a platform …. Most would not be paid for their work, or show. Most have no schooling or degree.

SuperCar Blondie is definitely recognized…

Old 10-03-22, 06:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So he is a brand ambassador on social media. He panders to an audience so he will be very one sided. I think some would see right though the brand in these cases …

Some brands don’t need influencing on social media.
No, he's a HUGE force in social media, specifically in technology. These SM influencers have way more influence on younger people than someone like Roger Federer does, and people trust them...they feel like they know them. 16M subscribers and 3B views. He has more eyes on him than anybody. Giving him a Tesla (which I don't believe they did, pretty sure he bought his Tesla) is CHEAP advertising.

Does Buick need it?
Desperately. If a brand wants to reach younger people, this is the media they consume.
Old 10-03-22, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They DO. They are all invited to these car launch’s. Most are not journalists IMO. They are just people who have a platform …. Most would not be paid for their work, or show. Most have no schooling or degree.

SuperCar Blondie is definitely recognized…
You're talking about YT/SM car vloggers and media. Thats not what we're talking about. Marques Brownlee is not a car vlogger or car content creator. He's a huge force in the tech segment and other lifestyle/heath segments.

Its the same concept as having some celebrity be your source of publicity, its just they select celebrities that younger buyers don't care about, so its not effective. I promise you EVERYBODY who is younger than 25 knows who he is. They dont care about Reese Witherspoon.
Old 10-03-22, 06:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You're talking about YT/SM car vloggers and media. Thats not what we're talking about. Marques Brownlee is not a car vlogger or car content creator. He's a huge force in the tech segment and other lifestyle/heath segments.

Its the same concept as having some celebrity be your source of publicity, its just they select celebrities that younger buyers don't care about, so its not effective. I promise you EVERYBODY who is younger than 25 knows who he is. They dont care about Reese Witherspoon.
He is a You Tuber. Run by Google. Just tells you what you want to hear … they all do.

so let’s just give him a Lexus to drive around? And promote…
Old 10-03-22, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He is a You Tuber. Run by Google. Just tells you what you want to hear … they all do.

so let’s just give him a Lexus to drive around? And promote…
That would be extremely smart of Lexus. How is that any different than giving Tiger Woods a Buick to drive around, or having him promote Buick in ads?

Have you ever watched any of his videos? He's extremely smart and makes very good content. You just don't *get* YouTube and this type of media, but its not aimed at you. Young people buy things because he says those things are good...thats just a fact. If he started driving a Lexus and said it was good...they would buy Lexuses. Full stop. BUT, he wouldnt do that because from his standpoint (technology) a Lexus is terrible.

Like it or not, the era of "you have to go to school to learn all about things so that people will listen to you" is over. It makes no sense to look down on YT car content creators vs a "real" auto jornalist who went to school and is paid a poverty wage to work for Motor Trend when WAY More people watch and care what those YT creators think than care what MT thinks.

Personally? I LOVE it. I LOVE seeing people go out and make a fortune without having to fit the "mold" that the higher education cabal says they must fit. If my kids want to make YT content and never go to college, I'm all for it...as long as they can make a living long term with it.
Old 10-03-22, 07:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That would be extremely smart of Lexus. How is that any different t
Because Tiger Woods is an accomplished sports star. Like Roger Federer. On top of their field….giving Marques Brown a car to drive around on a You Tube channel is not special. You’d need Marques to be popular and well known enough to show up on advertisements, during commercials on sports events like NFL and other such mediums. You Tube is just a free channel on You Tube of all places (which is just Google).

Like it or not, the era of "you have to go to school to learn all about things so that people will listen to you" is over. It makes no sense to look down on YT car content creators vs a "real" auto jornalist who went to school and is paid a poverty wage to work for Motor Trend when WAY More people watch and care what those YT creators think than care what MT thinks.

Personally? I LOVE it. I LOVE seeing people go out and make a fortune without having to fit the "mold" that the higher education cabal says they must fit. If my kids want to make YT content and never go to college, I'm all for it...as long as they can make a living long term with it.

I enjoy them too. They already do influencing because the brands send products to these you tubers as it is. Alex on Autos, Soyfun Bean, Doug Demuro promote the stuff as it is. But most would never be paid to promote the items outside of You Tube.

Roger Federer S-Class…. Can we honestly see Alex on Autos doing such a commercials for Mercedes? LOL

https://youtu.be/3AFws4anMc4

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-03-22 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-03-22, 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because Tiger Woods is an accomplished sports star. Like Roger Federer. On top of their field….giving Marques Brown a car to drive around on a You Tube channel is not special. You’d need Marques to be popular and well known enough to show up on advertisements, during commercials on sports events like NFL and other such mediums. You Tube is just a free channel on You Tube of all places (which is just Google).
So? You are placing what is of value to you onto what is of value to people younger than 30 years old, they are totally different. I proimise you to a 22 year old tech guy, what Marques Brownlee thinks of a product means a lot more to them than Tiger Woods. he IS that famous, you just don't know that because your generation just doesn't consume the content that makes him famous.

What does Tiger Woods being good at Golf have to do with him knowing what a good car is? By all accounts, hes a total hack of a person who has tried pretty hard to destroy his whole life. Why would I take advice from him on anything but Golf?

Run down a list of people who are that famous to you, and a lot of 25 year olds wont even know who those people are.

You are also stuck in your own way of thinking about marketing. People younger than 30 do not watch TV. They don't read magazines. They watch SM content and YT and TikTok, and they watch movies and TV on streaming platforms with no advertising. The way you reach these consumers is through the media they consume...and its TY and SM.

Like it or not, things are changing in a big, big way and you are just out of touch.

Alex on Autos, Soyfun Bean, Doug Demuro promote the stuff as it is. But most would never be paid to promote the items outside of You Tube.
Those people are small potatoes compared to somebody like Marques. And just watch, that will change.

Roger Federer S-Class…
https://youtu.be/3AFws4anMc4
A car thats driven by old people.

I guarantee you less than 50% of people younger than 30 even know who Roger Federer is. Younger than 20? Its probably 80%. He's the past, people like this are the future.

For instance if you ask my 7 year old kids who is more popular, Mickey Mouse....or the "Thumbs Up Family" which is a goofy family who makes YouTube videos, they would probably say the "Thumbs Up Family". We were just at Disney, and to out shock they don't know half the Disney characters, even though we are a huge Disney family. Its just not the media they consume. If Disney is smart, they will start putting content there.

The other amazing thing about this for business owners like me, is marketing to them is ACCESSIBLE. I could never run a TV ad, but I can pay to run an ad on Hulu. Or YT. Or FB. This takes the power out of big companies and puts it into the hands of ordinary people and that is awesome.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-03-22 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-03-22, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

you made a number of very valid points (bluntly lol), but i've not read anything about tesla cultivating a relationship with marques brownlee. yes he bought a plaid because he's a techie and likes the cool thing (so did doug demuro i believe). i believe marques has only done a couple of videos on it though.

but definitely, 'old celebs' will do NOTHING for a brand hoping to reach younger people except waste money.
Old 10-03-22, 07:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Read this article:

https://digitalmarketinginstitute.co...s-on-instagram

Do you know who any of those people are? I don't (outside of a couple like Selena Gomez and Kylie Jenner)...because I don't use Instagram. But, to people that do, and thats almost all people younger than 25, these people are HUGE stars.

Quick Reply: Buick recruits new celebrities for publicity