Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick recruits new celebrities for publicity

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Buick recruits new celebrities for publicity

After years of using professional athletes like Tiger Woods, Shaq O'Neal, Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, etc.... and even Donald Trump (before he ran for President), to advertise their products, Buick has now turned to author Jasmine Guillory and actress Reese Witherspoon Book Club, linking it to a new app.

Of course, they don't have to use gimmicks to sell me their products.....for the most part, I like them just fine as it is.

Old 09-30-22, 11:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

<visions of MM now binge watching Legally Blonde and Legally Blonde 2 preparing eagerly for the 2023 Legally Blonde 3 release>
Old 09-30-22, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
<visions of MM now binge watching Legally Blonde and Legally Blonde 2 preparing eagerly for the 2023 Legally Blonde 3 release>

Meh. Blondes are a dime a dozen. I'd rather watch Buicks....even more so, drive them.

BTW, Dave, stay safe down there in NC. Tropical storm Ian will be moving across the state. It will target us in the D.C. area next, but not as intense as further south.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-22 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-30-22, 12:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Reese Witherspoon drove a Buick in Big Little Lies....
https://observatoryagency.com/work/big-little-lies

Old 09-30-22, 02:29 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

These make more sense to me than the old Tiger Woods tie up. Never really understood what the 2 brands had in common.
Old 09-30-22, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
These make more sense to me than the old Tiger Woods tie up. what the 2 brands had in common.
Tiger Woods (great gofler) appealed to old folks (who love to golf) + Buick (appeals to older clientele) = sales for Buick
Old 09-30-22, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Tiger Woods (great gofler) appealed to old folks (who love to golf) + Buick (appeals to older clientele) = sales for Buick
.....but Tiger Woods, at the time he worked or Buick, was quite young himself. If Buick were trying to appeal to senior citizens, they would have chosen somebody like Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus...old golfers who had been around for decades.
Old 09-30-22, 03:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Buick also used Shaq as a spokesman. It was mainly to show a really big guy can squeeze into a LaCrosse (I think it was). I think that might have been the only ad that he did for the brand.
Old 09-30-22, 03:37 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Bad timing. The last of the Golden Girls recently passed.

Old 09-30-22, 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.....but Tiger Woods, at the time he worked or Buick, was quite young himself. If Buick were trying to appeal to senior citizens, they would have chosen somebody like Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus...old golfers who had been around for decades.
BUICK had their open PGA Open for 50 years. Took place in Michigan
Old 09-30-22, 06:41 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 434 Posts

Ford used these guys for the early '90's Town Car ad's as well had the special edtions for them as well.....
Old 09-30-22, 06:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

if buick were to pick arnold palmer now that would be unfortunate.

Old 09-30-22, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if buick were to pick arnold palmer now that would be unfortunate.

Oh, I agree. I know he passed away several years ago (Jack Nicklaus is still around, but way up there in years). My point, though, dealt with the time period when Tiger Woods was still working for Buick...Arnold was aging, but still making some of the tournament-rounds.

Frankly, despite his public image at the time, I don't know if Tiger Woods ever actually drove a Buick or not. We do know, of course, that he wrecked at least two vehicles....a Cadillac Escalade, shortly after the scandal over his infidelity and divorce was publicized, and a new Genesis GV80 that seriously injured him and caused his medical leave from golf for awhile. He also (reportedly) owned a Porsche Carrera at one time, but I don't know that for a fact.

Old 10-01-22, 11:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The question is, do car manufacturers turn to celebrities to promote their brand when things are becoming desperate? Is it more of a gimmick using figures instead of product to promote? Not saying Buick does, just an honest question.
Old 10-02-22, 06:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The question is, do car manufacturers turn to celebrities to promote their brand when things are becoming desperate? Is it more of a gimmick using figures instead of product to promote? Not saying Buick does, just an honest question.

Things are hardly desperate for Buick, as they are probably THE most sought-after brand in China, and sell a lot of crossovers here in the U.S. But Buick has been trying to change their image for years in the U.S. as primarily a Grandpa/Grandma brand, with some success. For thing, they don't even market the vehicles here anymore that Granapa and Grandma were most likely to drive....Park Avenue, LeSabre, Lucerne, Lacrosse, etc....and have dropped all sedans.

Quick Reply: Buick recruits new celebrities for publicity