Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Encore GX Avenir Coming for 2024.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-22 | 05:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

sounds like very small changes overall and the avenir 'trim' level is mostly just bundling a load of options.

hopefully they're building a new one based on a bolt euv to rid the world of a turbo lawn mower engine.
Old 11-02-22 | 06:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sounds like very small changes overall and the avenir 'trim' level is mostly just bundling a load of options.
I thought the Avenir was supposed to be some coupe or high car. They turned into an interior trim
Old 11-02-22 | 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

hopefully they're building a new one based on a bolt euv to rid the world of a turbo lawn mower engine.

As I have already mentioned a number of times in several different threads (including this one), this is not your typical three-pot Mickey-Mouse engine. Aside from some vibrations when first starting up and in the 1300-1800 or so RPM range, it actually runs and powers pretty nicely, although some of that is the effective Buick Quiet-Tuning covering up some of the noise.
Old 11-02-22 | 11:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
), this is not your typical three-pot Mickey-Mouse engine. Aside from some vibrations when first starting up and in the 1300-1800 or so RPM range,.
What about the start-stop? It must be very frustrating to live with that if there are all these vibrations from 1300-1800rpm
Old 11-02-22 | 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What about the start-stop? It must be very frustrating to live with that if there are all these vibrations from 1300-1800rpm

Actually not that many vibrations if you accelerate gently. And the torque-peak is in that range, so you don't sacrifice that much pickup.

As for the start/stop, unlike my earlier Lacrosse, there is a deactivate-button for it on the console (it's the one all the way on the left in that row of buttons just ahead of the shifter)...but it has to be pushed each time you get in and start the engine. There are (supposedly) ways to permanently disable the system, but sometimes I actually use it because of the heavy traffic in this area and long waits at stoplights....it does help save some fuel while idling.

The button just to the right of it, BTW, is for FWD/AWD....another nice feature of the GX. You can run it in FWD most of the time, for better mileage, and then switch to AWD for bad weather. I put the AWD on for a few minutes about once a week or so, even in good weather, to keep the system and hardware lubed and to prevent deterioration from lack of use

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-02-22 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-02-22 | 07:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

For whatever reason, I find a 3 cylinder less offensive than a 4 cylinder. The fact that this car has a 3 cylinder engine is a non-issue for me. I'd dig it. Well, I wouldn't, but at least it doesn't bother me like it bothers some others.
Old 11-02-22 | 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
For whatever reason, I find a 3 cylinder less offensive than a 4 cylinder. The fact that this car has a 3 cylinder engine is a non-issue for me. I'd dig it. Well, I wouldn't, but at least it doesn't bother me like it bothers some others.

Agreed. Yes, I thought it would bother me, too, until I test-drove one. Still, given the choice, I'd probably rather have a non-turbo4....all else equal, an even number of cylinders almost always runs smoother then an odd number because of the firing-nature of a four-stroke power plant. (intake/compression/power/exhaust),
Old 11-04-22 | 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why would a 3 cyl be less offensive than a 4 cyl?
Old 11-04-22 | 09:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have never driven a 3 cylinder in my life.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
And I have no interest in ever changing that lol
Triumph 3-cylinders like the Speed Triple, Rocket 3, Tiger, and the no longer available Daytona are truly something special, much like Audi 5-cylinders. I would have no problem riding one.

Oh you meant 3 cylinder CARS? Yah, hell to the no.
Old 11-04-22 | 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have driven three-pots that I did find inadequate. Not this one....it has the power of an in-line N/A four (and almost that of some N/A V6 engines of not that long ago), and the effective Buick Quiet-Tuning has calmed down most (but not all) of the NVH. I agree, though, that it could use one more cylinder to add to the low-RPM refinement.
Old 11-07-22 | 08:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Don't know. Fully admit it's unreasonable.

I think I've yet to find a 4 cylinder that I truly enjoy, so I've kind of (unfairly) written them all off. I've read some good things about some of these new 3 cylinders so I'd be willing to try one.
Old 11-07-22 | 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Don't know. Fully admit it's unreasonable.

I think I've yet to find a 4 cylinder that I truly enjoy, so I've kind of (unfairly) written them all off. I've read some good things about some of these new 3 cylinders so I'd be willing to try one.

If you have not already sampled one, the former VW/Audi 2.0L turbo in-line four, combined with the 1Gen DSG (Direct-Shift) twin-clutch gearbox, was, IMO, one of the most delightful powertrains I've ever sampled. It was a masterpiece of engineering, although, being of VW origin, reliability was suspect.
Old 11-08-22 | 11:46 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If you have not already sampled one, the former VW/Audi 2.0L turbo in-line four, combined with the 1Gen DSG (Direct-Shift) twin-clutch gearbox, was, IMO, one of the most delightful powertrains I've ever sampled. It was a masterpiece of engineering, although, being of VW origin, reliability was suspect.
Nonsense! They are highly reliable for the lifespan of the vehicle.........
Old 11-08-22 | 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Nonsense! They are highly reliable for the lifespan of the vehicle.........

Yes and no. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my description. Technicians, in general, dislike working on DSGs because they are so complex and difficult to repair when they DO break. And, yes, the VW-sourced ones have had a longer shelf-life than the disastrous ones used in the Ford Focus and Fiesta, which were so bad that a class-action suit was filed on behalf of owners.

https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/...sion-problems/
Old 11-08-22 | 02:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Yes and no. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my description. Technicians, in general, dislike working on DSGs because they are so complex and difficult to repair when they DO break. And, yes, the VW-sourced ones have had a longer shelf-life than the disastrous ones used in the Ford Focus and Fiesta, which were so bad that a class-action suit was filed on behalf of owners.

https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/...sion-problems/
Oh I was being extremely sarcastic. As in life of the vehicle is 75k miles or whenever it explodes lol!

Quick Reply: Buick Encore GX Avenir Coming for 2024.