Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Encore GX Avenir Coming for 2024.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-22, 09:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Buick Encore GX Avenir Coming for 2024.

Well, here's probably the biggest news on the Encore GX since its 2021 introduction. A top-line Avenir trim-version is coming in 2024 to match the Avenir trim on all the other Buicks. Not counting the soon-to-be-discontinued Encore, the Encore GX was the only American-market Buick to not have the Avenir trim....now that will be rectified.

I myself have a 2021 AWD Select-Trim version, and absolutely love it....all except for the 3-cylinder turbo engine.

One nice thing about the GX Avenir is that it will not have larger wheels and lower-profile/rougher-riding tires like on the other Avenir Buicks...it keeps the 18" wheels. IMO, a Buick should ride like a Buick....that means Cush-Tush.

I'm going to take a serious look at this little gem when it comes out, and, if I like it enough, my checkbook will be ready...although I'd be more interested in a hybrid or electric version if GM decides to go that route....especially if there will be charging-outlets, by then, where I live, close by. Also, past Avenirs have been rather pricey, and, IMO, not much different from the Essence trim levels. We'll see how the Encore GX version turns out.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/10...ing-exclusive/

Buick Encore GX Avenir Incoming: Exclusive

Sponsored Links

First hitting the scene for the 2020 model year, the Buick Encore GX crossover is set to receive a mid-cycle refresh for the upcoming 2024 model year. Critically, GM Authority has exclusively learned that the refreshed 2024 Buick Encore GX will introduce a new range-topping trim level, specifically a new Encore GX Avenir variant.
Buick Encore GX ST

According to sources familiar with the matter, the new 2024 Buick Encore GX Avenir will incorporate a number of unique exterior styling features to help it stand apart from the rest of the trim level lineup, including a new premium grille treatment, as well as a set of 18-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels. Additionally, the cabin space will justify the model’s range-topping positioning with upgraded leather seating, as well as the inclusion of some of the optional equipment offered with the current range-topping Buick Encore GX Essence trim level, such as (relevant RPO codes listed in parentheses):GM Authority reached out to General Motors for confirmation of the upcoming Buick Encore GX Avenir trim level. In response, a Buick spokesperson provided the following statement:

“Avenir represents the highest expression of Buick luxury. Since the introduction of the Avenir sub-brand, more Buick customers have opted for our higher end trims than ever before. We are continually listening to customer feedback and looking at opportunities to expand the Avenir sub-brand, but we have no specific announcements to make at this time.”
Buick Encore GX Essence

As a reminder, the current Buick Encore GX offers two engine options, including the turbocharged 1.2L I3 LIH gasoline engine, rated at 137 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque, and the turbocharged 1.3L I3 L3T gasoline engine, rated at 155 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque. Under the body panels, the Buick Encore GX rides on the GM VSS-F vehicle set, while production for the North American market takes place at the GM Bupyeong plant in South Korea.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-31-22 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-01-22, 03:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Hard to believe this thing has a three cylinder engine
Old 11-01-22, 05:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hard to believe this thing has a three cylinder engine
I agree that I would prefer a four, but the 1.3L turbo three is actually not bad by three-pot standards. There is an initial mild jolt upon start-up, and some noticeable vibration around 1500 RPM or so (the engine's torque-peak) but otherwise is reasonably smooth and quiet. The standard Buick Quiet Tuning process (which all Buicks get) helps significantly.

Have you test-driven one? Try and out and see what you think...that 1.3L engine is available in both the Encore GX and Chevy Trailblazer, although the Buick probably has more insulation and sound-deadening.

(Oh, and, BTW, it was also on the list of Ward's 10-Best Engines for 2021)

https://www.wardsauto.com/10-best-en...ulsion-systems

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-01-22 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-01-22, 07:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Pass. No 3 cylinders for me. They should have gone EV with it and brought back this slogan:

Old 11-01-22, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
Pass. No 3 cylinders for me. They should have gone EV with it

I thought, at first, that a three-pot would be a pass for me, too. But, after a couple of test-drives, I found I could easily live with it, even though I'd rather have a four.

As for an EV version, it's probably in the works.....Buick seems committed to the EV changeover of their models.
Old 11-01-22, 12:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

I have tried it in the GX and it's better than an NA small 4 cyl or a NA 4cyl in general as far as low end response and power but NVH and tone were bad. I'm sure it's better in a Buick though since they are quieter as a whole
Old 11-01-22, 01:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you test-driven one? Try and out and see what you think..
I have never driven a 3 cylinder in my life.
Old 11-01-22, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

And I have no interest in ever changing that lol
Old 11-01-22, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, there's always a first time. I first sampled three-pot engines decades ago in the Subaru Justy and Chevy/Geo Metro. They were nothing like the turbo-three in the Encore GX and Trailblazer.

A number of vehicles are using three-cylinder turbos now. Ford has an EcoBoost three-pot for its entry-level vehicles. GM, of course, uses one in the vehicles I mentioned. And Toyota is going to use a turbo three for its upcoming high-performance Corolla.
Old 11-01-22, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

A little education never hurts. I have sampled cars in your class before.....high-line German vehicles.
Old 11-01-22, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I just don't have any desire to drive a car with a 3 cyl engine, its not that I wouldn't test drive an Encore GX, the experience of a 3 cyl engine just isn't one I have an interest in seeking out. I can tell you right now I'm not gonna like it lol
Old 11-01-22, 04:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Avenir trim on a 3-cylinder car seems not to go together
Old 11-01-22, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Avenir trim on a 3-cylinder car seems not to go together
You and I (and others in Car Chat) are concerned about the power plant mainly because we are auto enthusiasts. But the majority of people who buy vehicles today, and especially with small crossovers, aren't really concerned about what is under the hood. They may open the hood once every few months (if that, LOL) to check the oil or fill the windshield washer-tank. But they see (and live with) the interior and trim every time they get into the vehicle or drive it.
Old 11-01-22, 05:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would try out the new Corolla 3 cylinder. The most powerful 3 cylinder ever. 100hp per cylinder. 300HP. Full time awd. Torsen diffs. Manual. But I would not make an effort to go out of my way
Old 11-01-22, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is probably not worth starting a new thread for, so I'll tack it onto this one. Looks like the 2024 will have more than just a new Avenir trim level...it will also have a mid-cycle refresh.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/11...ied-exclusive/

Refreshed 2024 Buick Encore GX Spied: Exclusive

• We are currently looking for experienced automotive journalists and editors to join our team. Make $60k-$80k per year doing what you love. We are also looking for an experienced web developer. See details here.

Sponsored Links

For those readers who may have missed it, GM Authority was the first to report on the upcoming 2024 Buick Encore GX refresh, and now we’re back at it with yet more exclusive coverage, this time with the following spy photos.

Refreshed 2024 Buick Encore GX prototype

Coming to us from GM Authority reader Ben H., these photos capture the refreshed 2024 Buick EncoreGX out on the street as it undergoes a little testing as a camouflaged prototype. Although the exterior is covered in the usual swirling black-and-white wrap to hide the revised styling underneath, we can still pick out a few important design updates.

The front end, for example, presents a reworked fascia with a two-tier lighting arrangement, confirming earlier exclusive coverage published by GM Authority late last month. As we can see, the new lighting includes slim daytime running lights mounted high in the fascia, while forward-facing projector headlamps are mounted lower in the fascia to bracket the primary air intake.

Current Buick Encore GX

The grille is also restyled, now incorporating a hexagonal shape that’s turned down in the corners. Below the larger hexagonal grille is a smaller, slimmer secondary intake section.

The profile reveals a familiar window line with an up-turned kink towards the rear C-pillar. We also see ridges along the roofline which suggest the presence of roof rails, while in the corners, we spot a new split-spoke wheel design with a black finish.

The rear end once again incorporates a trailing-edge roof spoiler, while the rear hatch glass looks like it may have been revised as well. Further changes are also expected for the rear end.

Current Buick Encore GX

Per previous GM Authority coverage, the refreshed 2024 Buick Encore GX will also introduce a few changes to the cabin, as well as debut a new range-toping Avenir trim level. The new 2024 BuickEncore GX Avenir will stand out from the rest of the lineup thanks to a premium grille treatment and 18-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels, while the cabin space will feature upgraded leather seating, plus several infotainment and driver assist features that are normally offered as optional for the current range-topping Buick Encore GX Essence.

We’ll have plenty more to say about the refreshed 2024 Buick Encore GX in the future, so stay tuned. In the meantime, make sure to subscribe to GM Authority for more Buick Encore news, Buick news, and around-the-clock GM news coverage.

Quick Reply: Buick Encore GX Avenir Coming for 2024.