Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Honda Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Finally a CUV that looks good.
now i KNOW it's ugly. LOL

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They look nothing alike lol. Not even close. trying to hard to show how much of a dislike there is for this new Honda
my post was more joke than serious hence the haha and

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The new Pilot actually looks a lot more like the current GMC Acadia than the old early-90s-vintage Explorer.

well done mmarshall!
at least the acadia's hood attempts to curve down and the front doesn't have 'grumpy face'.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
LOL, yeah that I don't get. Like the new offroad trims of the Palisade and Telluride, pass.
well there you go... you don't get offroad trims like that, which i AGREE make little sense, but maybe they're a 'bit' more offroad capable i don't know, but maybe they're just appealing to the camping crowd.

i get the styling trends, i just don't happen to like them. it's not about right or wrong.

Originally Posted by geko29
I can't speak to Mercedes, but despite being technically FWD-based because the engine is attached to a transaxle, Audi's design has way more in common with RWD-based AWD vehicles than it does with FWD-based ones. ...
i knew this post was coming.

back to pilot, i think it will do well, but it's sure becoming a crowded market.
Old 02-20-23, 02:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I certainly don't "love" it, but I think it's a lot better than the outgoing model that it replaced.
Old 02-20-23, 02:13 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i knew this post was coming.

back to pilot, i think it will do well, but it's sure becoming a crowded market.
Lol, fair enough.

But at least give me credit for bringing it right back to the Pilot, in the same post.
Old 02-20-23, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

well there you go... you don't get offroad trims like that, which i AGREE make little sense, but maybe they're a 'bit' more offroad capable i don't know, but maybe they're just appealing to the camping crowd.

i get the styling trends, i just don't happen to like them. it's not about right or wrong.
I totally get it, and agree with you I just don't see this particular vehicle as being a big offender in the "fake rugged" department.

I think the worst are the station wagons, the fact that you can't get an E Class wagon without the cladding anymore

I mean, they have SUVs...
Old 02-20-23, 07:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I think the worst are the station wagons, the fact that you can't get an E Class wagon without the cladding anymore

I mean, they have SUVs...
yeah i don't think that's sold in the u.s. though, right? looks like a mercedes outback.

Lol, fair enough.
i think the q7 is a nice looking suv, but while the explorer has had quality issues and i don't like the interior much, i have to say i really like the proportions (it got the benefit of leveraging the platform they made for the lincoln equivalent), and the short front overhang.

But at least give me credit for bringing it right back to the Pilot, in the same post.
well played sir. well played.

and in kind, i think that explorer looks way better than this new pilot.
Old 02-20-23, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

well done mmarshall!
at least the acadia's hood attempts to curve down and the front doesn't have 'grumpy face'.
Thanks. Yes, GMC is one of the few manufacturers that, IMO, does a largish grille pretty nicely, and can make it look attractive.

Old 02-20-23, 07:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

yeah i don't think that's sold in the u.s. though, right? looks like a mercedes outback.
Sadly its the ONLY E Class wagon they sell here now, other than the E63 AMG Wagon. They still sell the regular body E Class wagons overseas, but if you want one here and don't want to pay $130,000 for the E63 you have to accept all that cladding!

i think the q7 is a nice looking suv, but while the explorer has had quality issues and i don't like the interior much, i have to say i really like the proportions (it got the benefit of leveraging the platform they made for the lincoln equivalent), and the short front overhang.
I think the new Explorers look great, but they are terrible inside and don't drive great.

I totally agree, but as a 3 row hauler the PIlot is a better vehicle.
Old 02-21-23, 03:57 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

I agree the Explorer looks WAY better. Unfortunately it's an absolutely terrible car. I had a mid-level Limited as a rental last year, and while we had it, we did everything we could to find ways to NOT drive. Super disappointing, since I was excited about the RWD platform it shares with the S650 Mustang. But having driven it, it would be at or near the bottom of the pack if I were shopping that segment.
Old 02-21-23, 05:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree the Explorer looks WAY better. Unfortunately it's an absolutely terrible car. I had a mid-level Limited as a rental last year, and while we had it, we did everything we could to find ways to NOT drive. Super disappointing, since I was excited about the RWD platform it shares with the S650 Mustang. But having driven it, it would be at or near the bottom of the pack if I were shopping that segment.

The first big batch of the current-generation Explorers/Aviators out of the Chicago assembly plant had so many QC defects that they were sent to the Flat Rock, MI plant to be extensively redone/refurbished.

Since you live there in or near Chicago, you may be more familiar with what happened than some of the rest of us.
Old 02-21-23, 09:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

The new front design works on the new Pilot. It doesnt work on the new Accord at all. Plus a big V6 will be a huge selling point for a lot of people and I hope the Highlander's sales get destroyed because of their move to a turbo 4. If Honda can bring out a new V6 that meets emissions, no reason why Toyota couldnt.
Old 02-21-23, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I felt the same way after renting the Explorer. Which is a shame, my first car was an Explorer and I would love to have an Explorer again.
Old 02-21-23, 07:46 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I felt the same way after renting the Explorer. Which is a shame, my first car was an Explorer and I would love to have an Explorer again.
Those early Explorers really were a great vehicle. When we go out to visit my mom, I joke with her to this day that we'll trade vehicles. She knows I can't do the 19 mpg highway with all the miles I drive but if gas was April 2020 prices ($1.59) forever then I wouldn't hesitate on one being my daily.
Old 02-22-23, 05:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Those early Explorers really were a great vehicle. When we go out to visit my mom, I joke with her to this day that we'll trade vehicles. She knows I can't do the 19 mpg highway with all the miles I drive but if gas was April 2020 prices ($1.59) forever then I wouldn't hesitate on one being my daily.
i believe savagegeese review said the new pilot only gets 19 on the highway too.
Old 02-22-23, 05:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have always been surprised by how poor the real world gas mileage my V6 MPVs (SUVs and Minivans) is...

My Pacifica, we get 14-15 around town, 23 on the highway maybe and its rated for 19/28. My sedans on the other hand always over perform.
Old 02-22-23, 05:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 813 Likes on 567 Posts

I have always been surprised by how poor the real world gas mileage my V6 MPVs (SUVs and Minivans) is...

My Pacifica, we get 14-15 around town, 23 on the highway maybe and its rated for 19/28. My sedans on the other hand always over perform.
Same. Ody gets 24-26 on the highway and 16ish city. We do mostly longer trips with it so it'll average out to ~22 by the time I have to fill up. I couldn't get the EPA rated 28 highway even cruising at a solid 70

Quick Reply: 2023 Honda Pilot