Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus ES 350: What's an IS 350 owner think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-22, 11:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

My friend bought an 09 at 140k two years ago....he is at 205k now. Boringly reliable.
Old 11-08-22, 11:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
My friend bought an 09 at 140k two years ago....he is at 205k now. Boringly reliable.
That's why I like it. Boring, smooth and reliable!
Old 11-08-22, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
It's funny, I actually like the shifter in the ES. It still has a mechanical feel and has the little release button on the side instead of a zig-zag pattern like my IS.

The F Sport seats in the IS will forever be better than these ES's seats, as well as most seats out there.
This is where I have to disagree. The new Toyota shifters I do not like. Long live the zig zag
Old 11-08-22, 02:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It's funny, I actually like the shifter in the ES. It still has a mechanical feel and has the little release button on the side instead of a zig-zag pattern like my IS.
QFT.
Old 11-08-22, 03:32 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review. Sometimes "boring" is pretty nice, I just learned that lesson the hard way. Not much fun to have a car in for repair for weeks or to not be able to trust it.
Old 11-08-22, 04:43 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

nice read! did you try the mode changes to see if the trans feeling improves?

i would imagine a bigger dynamic difference driving a RWD IS then going to a FWD ES. i know i feel the difference especially when cornering!
Old 11-08-22, 05:29 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,825 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
nice read! did you try the mode changes to see if the trans feeling improves?

i would imagine a bigger dynamic difference driving a RWD IS then going to a FWD ES. i know i feel the difference especially when cornering!
Yeah, the cornering is quite eventful in an ES. An IS feels like it has infinite grip after driving an ES for a while. The ES is pretty wallowy but again, not sloppy.

Sport mode seemed to help with the trans a little. Eco was no different from Normal.

I just got the IS back, and man... though it's not as quiet on the inside as an ES, in many other ways it feels more refined. Though the ride isn't as soft, it's also better controlled. And the trans shifting is smoother all the time - with the exception being sometimes on manual-mode downshifts. The ES consistently and smoothly rev-matches downshifts, but the IS is moody and sometimes does a so-so job of it. In normal driving though, the IS is 95% as relaxing as an ES, just with a tighter, more precise feeling.
Old 11-08-22, 06:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, the cornering is quite eventful in an ES. An IS feels like it has infinite grip after driving an ES for a while. The ES is pretty wallowy but again, not sloppy.

Sport mode seemed to help with the trans a little. Eco was no different from Normal.

I just got the IS back, and man... though it's not as quiet on the inside as an ES, in many other ways it feels more refined. Though the ride isn't as soft, it's also better controlled. And the trans shifting is smoother all the time - with the exception being sometimes on manual-mode downshifts. The ES consistently and smoothly rev-matches downshifts, but the IS is moody and sometimes does a so-so job of it. In normal driving though, the IS is 95% as relaxing as an ES, just with a tighter, more precise feeling.
6 speed vs 8? Peak torque is a little lower in the IS and it has more torque as well.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-08-22 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-08-22, 07:35 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
6 speed vs 8? Peak torque is a little lower in the IS and it has more torque as well.
Well the IS has an 8-speed as well. They're two entirely different 8-speeds, though.
Old 11-08-22, 07:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well the IS has an 8-speed as well. They're two entirely different 8-speeds, though.
oh right. For the 3.5 rwd model. Awd 3.5 still uses a 6 speed.
Old 11-09-22, 05:12 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Well....it sounds like after having the ES for a few days, and then getting your 4IS back.... Sounds like in summary, the ES is a more than decent Lexus, but its not quite your IS
Old 11-09-22, 06:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

What you're feeling is the higher level of sophistication in your IS' design. No way around that, there isn't anything they can do to a FWD mac strut car like the ES that will make it feel like that.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My Friends 2009 ES350 with 158K. He needed to borrow my Sienna as his in-laws were in town visiting from Florida, so we swapped and I drove this for the weekend while my son drove the Polestar. Damn good car, The best 3.5L V6 engine that exists IMO. Even being almost 14 years old, no rattles or squeaks, It's so quiet, it might as well be an EV. Only problem...averages 19 MPG. Lexus once knew how to build them

Thats a 2010 ES

I had one, it was a great car. Much better overall than the 2003 ES300 it replaced, although the 03 had better materials inside.
Old 11-09-22, 06:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
over 30k a year... that's a lot of driving!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
QFT.
no, quoted for opinion that your opinion agrees with.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What you're feeling is the higher level of sophistication in your IS' design. No way around that, there isn't anything they can do to a FWD mac strut car like the ES that will make it feel like that.
QFT. (physics)

Thats a 2010 ES
lol at cute rear spoiler. must add 5hp

Old 11-09-22, 06:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol at cute rear spoiler. must add 5hp
Believe it or not that was a factory option!
Old 11-09-22, 08:14 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Probably so! I will say, the ES would be great if all I did with it was go from A to B, such as commuting or running errands. So for most people, it's easy to recommend. But I agree, there's just that level of "sophistication", as you say, to the IS that I have to have! It just feels sharper. And this morning, I put some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on, which I will probably post about once I have more time to try them out. So far, so good!

Originally Posted by PrimeDave
Well....it sounds like after having the ES for a few days, and then getting your 4IS back.... Sounds like in summary, the ES is a more than decent Lexus, but its not quite your IS

In many ways, the ES is more car for the money. But, the driving experience is not nearly as fun. Obviously.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus ES 350: What's an IS 350 owner think?