Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Electric Porsche Boxster spied for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 06:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Electric Porsche Boxster spied for the first time

Porsche confirmed to the world earlier this year that the 718 Boxster and Cayman are going electric by the middle of this decade. Today, we present to you the first spy shot proof of such transition in the form of an electric Boxster prototype.

Our spy shooters say they caught the electric Boxster on a test circuit, and the particular test car captured appears to be a relatively early stage prototype. There’s no mistaking the EV as anything but an electric Boxster, but the details are still quite shrouded in misleading and cobbled-together camouflage work.

The above said, there’s a whole lot to go on here looking at the proportions of this Porsche. Its wheelbase and overall length already look larger than the current generation 718 twins. That could very well be in an effort to fit a large enough battery pack in the car. Despite the appearances, there could be some deception going on here in the form of artificially extended overhangs, shrouding the true shape and design of the front and rear bumpers. For a Boxster, both front and rear overhangs look unnaturally long.

To point out some details in the rear, the electric Boxster appears to be getting a full-width rear taillight. Also, that little exhaust cutout you see in the center on the bottom is rather hilarious, as it’s just a fake plastic-looking insert — this tester is most certainly a pure EV. The rear proportions themselves are strong with stout rear fenders hiding some seriously meaty rubber. We’ll also note that you see two different prototype testers in these shots. One is rocking what looks to be summer performance tires, and the other is shod with winter tires over different wheel designs. The brakes on display under those wheels are rather large and feature drilled rotors.

Nitpicking on details and every last thing you see here is very likely best reserved for future spy shots when some of the camouflage gets torn off and more of the production car is revealed. For now, enjoy the first glimpse of the future for Porsche’s traditionally mid-engine sports cars.
Source
Old 11-09-22, 09:09 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

There's gotta be an ICE or hybrid version as well, right? Either they're trying to give us a big trunk, or that definitely seems large enough to accommodate an engine.
Old 11-09-22, 10:01 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
There's gotta be an ICE or hybrid version as well, right? Either they're trying to give us a big trunk, or that definitely seems large enough to accommodate an engine.
Supposed to be EV only unfortunately

Only 911 is expected to remain ICE with hybrid
Old 11-09-22, 10:02 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Supposed to be EV only unfortunately

Only 911 is expected to remain ICE with hybrid
Yeah maybe what I am seeing is just there to accommodate the folding top. Bummer.
Old 11-09-22, 12:31 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I believe I read somewhere the batteries will be stacked vertically behind the front seats, similar to the setup the Lotus Evija has, like an MR engine would be placed, hence the long rear area. So not a skateboard. Maybe there might be a trunk tho? IDK
Old 11-09-22, 01:00 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 396 Likes on 269 Posts

No ICE. They don't sell that may of them so this will "succeed" as an EV from a sales perspective, wealthy people buy them as second "fun" cars anyway. The value of the last ICE Boxster/Caymans is going up, way up.
Old 11-12-22, 03:18 AM
ukcats
Driver

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

I just don’t understand the point of an EV sports car. A great engine and a good manual transmission is what makes a sports car fun. This is an appliance.
Old 11-12-22, 04:10 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

It looks good. But I feel we are one generation too early for all electric 718 range. The infrastructure to charge isn’t even here yet.
the 718 is a wonderful car as it is.
Old 11-12-22, 08:51 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

I would take the Lotus Emira over this, hands down. But Lotus can't produce enough of them, and Porsche still has the brand cult to keep the buyers coming, no matter what they produce.
Old 11-12-22, 09:49 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

I'm totally not ready to see an electric Porsche Boxter and may never be ready to see an electric 911.

Seems so wrong. lol
Old 11-12-22, 03:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Margate330
I'm totally not ready to see an electric Porsche Boxter and may never be ready to see an electric 911.

Seems so wrong. lol
Unfortunately all cars will be EV especially from European manufacturers.
Its impossible to get the last of the ICE flat 6 Boxster/Cayman models as they have long wait lists.

There are still some great cars left with new M2, BRZ/86, new Z, Supra, Mustang etc.
Old 11-12-22, 03:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I would take the Lotus Emira over this, hands down. But Lotus can't produce enough of them, and Porsche still has the brand cult to keep the buyers coming, no matter what they produce.
Sorry to inform you but Lotus is going all EV as well. Not sure how long the Emira will be made with the V6.
Old 11-12-22, 03:55 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

And when they go all EV, I will no longer want one.
Old 11-12-22, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
And when they go all EV, I will no longer want one.
And they don't care because plenty of other people will.
Old 11-12-22, 09:04 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean I think it's too soon to say if people will flock to the 718. I think, a whole different buyer group will be flocking to the 718 as opposed to the current.

The 2.0 transition wasn't very well received, and Porsche rushed into making a "GTS 4.0" model to compliment the GT4 as a cheaper flat 6 alternative. And they're selling like hotcakes, with year long waitlists for F6 Cayman build spots. You can easily go and get a 2.0 Cayman, but Porsche is selling every single F6 Cayman as fast as they can make them.

Maybe the EV 718 will be a success, but if it is, it won't be the same buyer group IMO, rather a whole different demographic of course. There 100% a community of EV enthusiasts that have been wanting a EV sports car around 80k, so that's who will be attracted by this model *** opposed to flat-6 purists.

Quick Reply: Electric Porsche Boxster spied for the first time