Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Volvo EX90

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-22, 10:02 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I think Tesla did a good job about branding "character" in their models.
Now that I know what a Tesla looks like I can see them a mile away every day, unmistakeably a Tesla.

When Volvo was in their younger years they had "character" and "flavor" too, nobody could ever mistake the car below for anything but a Volvo, even if unbadged.
I guess that's what I'm saying, Volvo needs FLAVOR again asap. lol

Remember this one???

Old 11-12-22, 10:06 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
When Volvo was in their younger years they had "character" and "flavor" too, nobody could ever mistake the car below for anything but a Volvo, even if unbadged.
I guess that's what I'm saying, Volvo needs FLAVOR again asap. lol
I'd say Volvo design is pretty solid and distinct now, and one of their strengths. Their weaknesses stem from their gutless 4-popper only lineup and FWD platforms. EV's will provide an even playing ground, but they will have to work harder to differentiate themselves from their parent company Geely as more is shared between the two brands.

Polestar has escaped so they have some room to grow on their own, but we don't have any concrete examples of their post-Volvo vehicles yet.
Old 11-12-22, 10:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,265 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
looks boring. Kinda like Cadillacs XT6.

Volvo and Polestar is like Chevrolet/GMC.
Maybe Toyota needs to team up with another auto company so they can make a good sports car. Oh, nevermind...
Old 11-12-22, 10:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Maybe Toyota needs to team up with another auto company so they can make a good sports car. Oh, nevermind...
Good one.
Old 11-12-22, 11:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
I'd say Volvo design is pretty solid and distinct now, and one of their strengths. Their weaknesses stem from their gutless 4-popper only lineup and FWD platforms. EV's will provide an even playing ground, but they will have to work harder to differentiate themselves from their parent company Geely as more is shared between the two brands.

Polestar has escaped so they have some room to grow on their own, but we don't have any concrete examples of their post-Volvo vehicles yet.
​​​​​​ They did that with the Precept, only problem is it's an extremely expensive limited run two seater roadster. Despite not being delivered until 2024 and a $25k deposit, they sold every one of them. Besides a few bugs and hiccups, the Polestar 2 is a great car that's become popular, so I know they will produce great cars in the future
Old 11-12-22, 11:37 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​​​ They did that with the Precept, only problem is it's an extremely expensive limited run two seater roadster. Despite not being delivered until 2024 and a $25k deposit, they sold every one of them. Besides a few bugs and hiccups, the Polestar 2 is a great car that's become popular, so I know they will produce great cars in the future
We'll see the Polestar 5 well before the Precept makes its production debut. The 5 will probably be the better indicator of the direction Polestar plans to go rather than a limited production convertible.
Old 11-13-22, 04:53 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that after the 3 the two design teams will separate. This is required by statute given Polestar’s public ownership. For the first three models the two design teams shared the same studio but going forward they will be completely separate, at least physically. I would think, given Polestar’s history, we would see more distinct differences between the brands. Personally I think the interior of the 3 is taking minimalism to an extreme, more form over function as I see it.
YMMV
Old 11-13-22, 11:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JTMav
My understanding is that after the 3 the two design teams will separate. This is required by statute given Polestar’s public ownership. For the first three models the two design teams shared the same studio but going forward they will be completely separate, at least physically. I would think, given Polestar’s history, we would see more distinct differences between the brands. Personally I think the interior of the 3 is taking minimalism to an extreme, more form over function as I see it.
YMMV
​​​​​​ Being an owner of the Polestar 2 for almost a year now, I've really come to appreciate the minimalist design of the cabin. I like it better than my IS350's cabin, the car my Polestar replaced. I also like the design of the P3, I'm just disappointed by the pricing, if I was paying that much for a vehicle SUV, I would just get the Model X. I do understand it's not for everyone. As far as the P3's design being minimalist over functional, if it's anything like the P2, that won't be an issue.

As the article I posted states, they will be separating from Volvo. Polestar just posted their first profit since going public, so they are already off to a good start, hopefully their stock price will begin to reflect this

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-13-22 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-14-22, 10:53 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I just put in a deposit for an EX90. It's going to replace my 2018 Tesla model 3 dual motor. hope my tesla can last until 2024. Volvo's reliability has always been an issues, but i'm hoping EV can be different. their track record on their plugged-in hybrid is pretty decent and Polstar cars are getting solid reviews as well. Tesla's pricing is jut out of the hand, for a roomy 3 row EV SUV i'd shell out $120k for the Model X. for the price i'm about to pay for EX90 (purely based on what was reported), i could only afford a Model Y with FSD.
Old 11-14-22, 10:56 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
another electric plain appliance. we're going to be swimming in different ones in 2 years.
boring design sells in volume, they tend to age gracefully. look at the XC90, it's been out for a long time and it still looks timeless. can't say the same about Kia and Hyundai.
Old 11-14-22, 11:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
I just put in a deposit for an EX90. It's going to replace my 2018 Tesla model 3 dual motor. hope my tesla can last until 2024. Volvo's reliability has always been an issues, but i'm hoping EV can be different. their track record on their plugged-in hybrid is pretty decent and Polstar cars are getting solid reviews as well. Tesla's pricing is jut out of the hand, for a roomy 3 row EV SUV i'd shell out $120k for the Model X. for the price i'm about to pay for EX90 (purely based on what was reported), i could only afford a Model Y with FSD.
I think it's going to be a great SUV. Both Volvo/Polestar have done a great job on their EV's. The fit and finish of my P2 is excellent, it did develop one rattle, but Polestar replaced the rear seatbelts which fixed it. My P2 drives amazing, 0 to 80 there are aren't many cars not named Tesla that can beat it (I did lose pretty badly to a C8 though), and I've already taken it on five trips from NorCal to SoCal (390 miles each way), so taking it long distances is easy, although Tesla has a charging network that can't be matched and puts all the other charging networks (Electrify America, ChargePoint, EVgo etc) to shame
Old 11-18-22, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Volvo needs FLAVOR again asap. lol

Remember this one???

This is the last Volvo I have liked. New models are meh. Made in China is a HUGE disappointment as well.
Old 11-19-22, 05:39 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

This is the last Volvo I have liked. New models are meh. Made in China is a HUGE disappointment as well.
Volvos, especially for the US market are made in Sweden, Belgium and South Carolina. My understanding is that the Chinese made Volvos are for their domestic market. As far as parts, we’ll almost all manufacturers source from a lot of different countries. The subject of this thread, the EX 90,is made in South Carolina.
Old 11-19-22, 07:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
VoThe subject of this thread, the EX 90,is made in South Carolina.
‘Yeah. Your are right
Old 06-30-24, 01:26 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

2025 Volvo EX90 Will Reach Customers With Missing Features
Charging is also affected. The bi-directional charging capability that would allow owners to send power from the car back to their home or into the grid won't be available at first. The Smart Charging program that automatically determines the best times to charge based on pricing and efficiency, while also factoring in scheduled departures, is also delayed.

Volvo also says that owners will experience slight battery drainage while parked as a result of the car needed to keeping the EX90's core computer powered. The EX90 will lose roughly three percent over 24 hours, and if parked for 72 hours without charging, the energy use will cease as the car enters a "deep sleep" mode to conserve juice. Volvo says this will be fixed with a planned future update.
What a mess. I really hope this doesn't become the norm in the auto industry.