Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus vs bmw suvs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 08:09 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
X3 is actually a good bit bigger than the NX, it actually compares more to the RX
I don't think I'd rather get an RX over an X3 either.

X3 is just sorta big as a compact SUV anyway. I mean, I wouldn't compare an NX to an X1... that seems wrong as the NX sits up a little higher and is a little more premium. At the same time, the X3 is larger and more premium (arguably) than the NX. So it's a bit of a tweener vehicle.
Old 11-13-22, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

That’s always kind of been Lexus’ MO with these transverse FWD vehicles. You get a bigger vehicle, but the trade off is it’s a FWD Toyota derived platform.

That’s why I got the ES when I did, that’s what I could afford and it got me a bigger 5/E size car for 3/C money.
Old 11-13-22, 10:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The power train of the Toyota hybrids are far more sophisticated than a regular BMW set up.

‘Lexus GX and LX are double wishbone. Different price points. Mercedes E class was Macpherson strut, but I can’t recall the year. (3 link)

This is not true

Is Wagyu more sophisticated than USDA Prime?
Not even close. A 2004 BMW has a more advanced engine/driveline than the new RX, they were using infinitely variable valve lift and intake runners all the way back then.

The most advanced engine Lexus has ever made is the UR series V8, and they are simple vs something like the EA824
Old 11-13-22, 10:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

For real. 2010 era.

Sure. For the most part yeah. BUT, there are caveats. My air suspension in my 04 4R is far far far more sophisticated than my 21 4R. But I’d would much rather have the standard coils on my new one. I think longevity over short term..so sophisticated does not = better. But I am far more happy to have a double wishbone up front compared to my FWD cars…. But I do not want in any way the more sophisticated rear suspension that Toyota used in the last gen Sequoia
Nothing wrong with that system......it's extremely reliable in my experience.
Old 11-14-22, 05:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

so i watched this review of the '23 x1. even bmw's least expensive suv shows a style and sophistication that blows away lexus imo.

Old 11-14-22, 05:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

More sophisticated = better.
not always. i'd rather have a lexus than a maserati.
i'd rather have an lc500 than a mclaren.

Its like saying Wagyu beef is not better because you are happy with USDA Prime. It is better.
i think wagyu beef is disgusting. but sure, some people like beef with huge amounts of fat that is out of the price range most people can afford because it's 'exclusive'.
Old 11-14-22, 06:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i watched this review of the '23 x1. even bmw's least expensive suv shows a style and sophistication that blows away lexus imo.

https://youtu.be/ySnnCq7bXVE
Watching now... hoping its interior is an improvement over what I saw in the 228i Gran Coupe that I had as a loaner. It didn't feel that much nicer than the GLI. I think it LOOKED nice, but the materials were actually mostly soft-ish plastics. The metallic patterned trim didn't look that nice, and the digital gauges looked similar to upper-level BMW models, but were significantly smaller. It's kinda humorous in retrospect, especially after driving cars like the X3 and 330e with the full-size digital cluster.

On video, the new X1 looks way more expensive than before. And, I love the idea of having a DCT instead of the Aisin. Funny enough, the Aisin did its best impression of the ZF 8-speed before, but it just is not as refined, a fact which was immediately obvious hopping back into our 330i after driving the loaner. So I expect a net improvement in that area.

The phone holder is also nifty.
Old 11-14-22, 07:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
was recently looking at a review of the new bmw x1 (which seems great) and got thinking about the bmw suv lineup vs lexus.

lexus ux nx rx lx vs bmw x1 x3 x5 x7
(leaving out the hot selling gx which is obviously a great seller still but is a dinosaur and not really comparable to anything else)

is it even close?

the bmw line-up seems to have great consistency, features, options, driving dynamics, where the lexus models don't seem consistent at all, with fwd architectures for 3 of those 4, upgraded infotainment, yes, and ??

i have an suv and will likely get another in a couple of years. i have no interest in a lexus suv, but i might consider a bmw suv.
I have an order on a new X1, which is currently at the port in Germany. Early reviews are very positive. I would never have considered any Lexus SUV/crossover for myself. Maybe an NX for my wife if we were in the market...maybe. But Lexus SUVs/crossovers do serve their target audiences very well.
Old 11-14-22, 07:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
Again, your opinion, not fact. LOL, I actually don't like wagyu beef. I prefer Prime. Opinion, not fact. I prefer my vehicles to start and not leak. My opinion.
"Like" and "Better" are not the same.
Old 11-14-22, 07:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I have an order on a new X1, which is currently at the port in Germany. Early reviews are very positive. I would never have considered any Lexus SUV/crossover for myself. Maybe an NX for my wife if we were in the market...maybe. But Lexus SUVs/crossovers do serve their target audiences very well.
Looking forward to your thoughts on the X1 after you take delivery. It seems like some major upgrades to the previous gen.
Old 11-14-22, 07:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Looking forward to your thoughts on the X1 after you take delivery. It seems like some major upgrades to the previous gen.
I saw one member on Bimmerfest griping, but it seems he had his expectations set really high. There's no iDrive wheel, which I'm bummed about. But every review I have read/watched (and I've seen them all....) are pretty consistent that it's far and away better than the 2nd Gen X1 in driving dynamics, design, and interior quality.
Old 11-14-22, 08:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I saw one member on Bimmerfest griping, but it seems he had his expectations set really high. There's no iDrive wheel, which I'm bummed about. But every review I have read/watched (and I've seen them all....) are pretty consistent that it's far and away better than the 2nd Gen X1 in driving dynamics, design, and interior quality.
I had the previous gen ('17) and it was a great small CUV with no issues other than routine maintenance. It did have a couple of shortcomings with the older infotainment and front seats that appear to be corrected and then some with this new one. I had the '17 for just under three years and traded for our current X3 which offered the updates I was looking for. With this new gen X1 I'd consider another one.
Old 11-14-22, 08:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I had the previous gen ('17) and it was a great small CUV with no issues other than routine maintenance. It did have a couple of shortcomings with the older infotainment and front seats that appear to be corrected and then some with this new one. I had the '17 for just under three years and traded for our current X3 which offered the updates I was looking for. With this new gen X1 I'd consider another one.
I had the 2nd Gen X1 as a loaner a few times - the non sport seats were bad, and the entry level "business" nav screen was a joke. BMW definitely solved those issues with the 3rd Gen.
Old 11-14-22, 08:55 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow just away a few days and this thread went to this many pages. Great start, Bit! So many great responses. I'm sure by now you're sold for one way or the other!

X3 is actually a good bit bigger than the NX, it actually compares more to the RX
Originally Posted by arentz07
I don't think I'd rather get an RX over an X3 either.
X3 is just sorta big as a compact SUV anyway. I mean, I wouldn't compare an NX to an X1... that seems wrong as the NX sits up a little higher and is a little more premium. At the same time, the X3 is larger and more premium (arguably) than the NX. So it's a bit of a tweener vehicle.
X3 may look small but inside it's actually a bit more spacious than X5. The quality is a step below though.

I’d want the GX460, IMO the most desirable Lexus SUV
I can certainly see how some could see that way until s/he tries something else and the below answer is dead on.
Too old and trucky for me
Originally Posted by arentz07
I need to drive the newest RX and NX, but the previous generation versus the X3 and X5 is no contest. The Lexus SUVs are more affordable, but you also get what you pay for. Not trying to sound harsh, as they are both good cars. I just think I'd rather an X3 over an NX even if I have to pay a little more, for instance.
All one needs to do is drive them themselves. But many don't and just stick to their opinions. Even with the new rx500h, from the numbers and reviews, there is still no contest. The below post is dead on.
Originally Posted by Motorola
We're talking about two different things here. The RX500h may have a more advanced hybrid system, but fundamentally it's still nowhere near the performance of any turbo 6 on the market except maybe the Acura V6.
Yet, I just traded a Cayenne Turbo Coupe for a RX. Why would someone have done that when it had nothing to do with the cost? Do you think I could not drive anything I want? I chose an RX over an X5, X7, Bentley Bentayga, LX, GX, Urus, Escalade... I wanted the vehicle I am most comfortable driving with the best reliability and service. That was it for me. I love it. I could give $ .02 if you agree. But you saying the Germans are better is not true to everyone. You obviously have a grudge with Lexus.
How many German cars have you owned again? Owned any over 3 years? I've owned 5 since 2018. I bought real enthusiast models M Performance, GTS, Turbo models. You can imply I am not somehow not a car enthusiast all you want, but the facts show otherwise.
Let's turn the question around. How many Lexus have you owned? I think Steve (and others) had gone through more Lexus than you have over Germans. I'm curious what exact years and models you had. IMO unreliability is getting old, unless someone wants to buy a car and keeps it to 100k. I'm quite active on X5's forums, 2019+, and have never heard about leaking oil on an X5. My wife had three RX's and I, not an enthusiast, found all the excuses to not drive hers. I only drove when the cars were due for service. I'm glad it worked out for you but I think the below post is dead on.
I think you will find very few car enthusiasts would make such a trade. I'm glad you're happy with it, I wouldnt be. Most people don't cross shop $250k and $60k cars. If you're happy with the RX what makes any of those cars better doesn't matter to you so they would just be a waste of money.
After my latest experience with German Cars, I've sworn them off and just sold them both. Back to Lexus for me. Happy to have gotten one of the last 22 RX 350 Luxury. I love the naturally aspirated reliable V6, normal non lithium battery, tires that aren't high performance and easier to get. gated non electronic shifter, cd player (makes me old I know, but sounds amazing), full size spare, uses regular gas. It's so relaxing to drive. And our Lexus dealer offers pickup and delivery, has their own loaners available, and has their own roadside assistance to do things like change batteries onsite. That's luxury. Our local BMW and Porsche dealers don't have all of those things. My time is valuable, I have better things to do than deal with problems at my inconvenience. Especially to have both in for repair at the same time (one for 3 weeks) and be told no loaners available.
I'm having a hard time trying to make sense of this. You had M Performance, GTS, Turbos... but you praise the rx350's V6? 7.7, isn't it? But I get it. You value other things more, like inexpensive tires and regular gas. That pick up/drop off thing is common among these brands. But why would one want to let someone else drive his car? I don't even let them valet my car letting alone having some kids having fun in my car. But I get it. Your time is very valuable. Keep posting.

Old 11-14-22, 09:09 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I never liked the RX... but I have an RX, have owned few current one sits at 196k (looks and drives brand new)- If it was up to my I would have a x5m or x3m in a heart beat but my wife would care less of which car drives or handles/ sound better. For her RX is the best SUV ever made, its comfy, smooth and no surprises ever which I also come to appreciate now.

BMWs in general are more fun that lexus, ever since I remembered... and faced the same question every car I bought. I remembered driving the 540i and gs400 and I was blown away how much better 540i feels; hugs the road and just drives. I had to mod the Gs400 just to come close to the 540i.
same goes for -
LS460 or 750Li; ISF or M3, GSF or M5; LX or GLS/X7; RX or X5

Historically I have always tilted towards Lexus because I want simple no issue car and lexus has held up its side of the margin. If I had bunch of money and if I would leasing it I would probably pick the germans every time. But since I own the cars more than 5 years and put a ton of miles I stuck to lexus.

Quick Reply: lexus vs bmw suvs