Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus vs bmw suvs

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-22, 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Stuff is bigger around here and full size vehicles are not an issue, the X5/7 while nice for not compare at speeds over 90 at all not when pushed hard.
Thats absurd. An X5 or X7 is rock solid at speeds well over 90 MPH. What isn't solid at those speeds is a big BOF SUV...the latest Suburban I drove was a good bit all over the road at 70 MPH.

The key is to have a vehicle that meets the preponderance of your needs, and unibody crossovers/SUVs really do that for a lot of people which is why they are so popular. Sure they may not ride or handle quite as well as a sedan, but they are surprisingly close and have a lot more capability on top of that. A big BOF SUV rides and drives nothing like a sedan.
Old 11-14-22, 03:54 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It doesn't offend me at all...I have no idea why we're even arguing about this. All I ever said was the RX was not of the same caliber as the X5 which it isn't, in a thread where we are discussing the Lexus and BMW SUV options. Somehow that hurt your fanny, and now you've drug the thread off topic trying to somehow insult me because I lease cars. I will use whatever term I want, you will just have to deal with that. If you can't handle that, just put me on your ignore list.
If someone says they like Lexus, you attack them. It's your MO. You are holding a deep grudge that the new LS wasn't what you wanted. Keeping saying you own that Mercedes LOL. I've tried to steer this back on topic, but you won't let it go.
Old 11-14-22, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
If someone says they like Lexus, you attack them. It's your MO. You are holding a deep grudge that the new LS wasn't what you wanted. Keeping saying you own that Mercedes LOL.
Thats absolutely not true. I drove Lexus vehicles exclusively for 22 years, I am a big Lexus fan. BUT, the reality is that those two vehicles are not peers, and Lexus has all but abandoned the top end of the market. Sure, as a Lexus fan the fact that the brand no longer sells anything I want is really sad. I'd love to buy a big comfortable Lexus sedan with a V8, or a high end Lexus crossover like an X5 or X7 but no such car exists.

And now you're PMing me trying to compare finances? Dude....get a grip.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-14-22 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-14-22, 04:04 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Thats absolutely not true. I drove Lexus vehicles exclusively for 22 years, I am a big Lexus fan. BUT, the reality is that those two vehicles are not peers, and Lexus has all but abandoned the top end of the market. Sure, as a Lexus fan the fact that the brand no longer sells anything I want is really sad. I'd love to buy a big comfortable Lexus sedan with a V8, or a high end Lexus crossover like an X5 or X7 but no such car exists.

And now you're PMing me trying to compare finances? Dude....get a grip.
Stop trying to teach me about finances then and accuse me of waste. Stop! Stop calling me names. I tried to steer this back to Lexus vs. BMW but you won't have it. How can this be an intelligent discussion when you attack anyone that likes Lexus? I said you don't technically own your S class...deal with it. You don't.

Last edited by Sodbuster1; 11-14-22 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-14-22, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Leasing saves me money, thats why I do it. All I'm an expert in is what works for me in my own situation, I'm not trying to teach you anything. You do you.

Leave. Me. Alone.
Old 11-14-22, 04:12 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

OK guys.
Please take the back and forth off topic discussions to PM if you still want to engage in the conversations.

Stay on topic regarding Lexus vs BMW SUVS.
There's a Sticky up on top of Car Chat regarding leasing vs. buying.
Old 11-14-22, 04:44 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New Lithium Battery for a 992 or Cayenne is around $2500. Note you have to have the rear wheel steering to have the lithium battery. Feel free to read what people say about them on Rennlist.
A 992 is $300K, nobody who can afford one is complaining about a $2500 battery. Cayenne's start at 70K and Porsche Nickle and dimes you to death so you'll end up averaging close to 90K for one unless you're going GTS which is alot more. Most people can't afford either, the BMW M3 Battery will cost you $1800 also a car pushing 100K now.
Old 11-14-22, 04:54 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kense
A 992 is $300K, nobody who can afford one is complaining about a $2500 battery. Cayenne's start at 70K and Porsche Nickle and dimes you to death so you'll end up averaging close to 90K for one unless you're going GTS which is alot more. Most people can't afford either, the BMW M3 Battery will cost you $1800 also a car pushing 100K now.
Check Rennlist. They complain.
Old 11-14-22, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you either want a car like that, and you pay to pay both upfront and when it comes time to service it, or you don’t.

Porsche owners may complain, but at the end of the day are they trading their Porsches en masse for more pedestrian mainstream cars that are dramatically cheaper to maintain? No.
Old 11-14-22, 05:24 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

BMW oil changes are every 10,000 Miles, Your dealer was raping you. I have an M340i and oil changes at the dealer are $100. My Q50 Red Sport had $200 Oil changes though and they used the excuse "Mercedes charges more. " Complete non sense, outside of the free service I would go to Independent German mechanics that are a hell of a lot cheaper. Only downside is you don't get a loaner.
Poor word choice, there.

I actually am voluntarily changing the oil every 5,000 lol. It's my wife's car - if she wants it to be a dealership queen, that's fine by me. Maybe once it's out of warranty I'll look for a different shop, but actually, I do like our dealership, BMW of Gwinnett Place, a lot.

Sorry for off-topic, felt it was somewhat necessary to respond to this in the moment.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Sorry if you think I meant you on the comparison. It wasn't toward you. That statement is very true. I feel the X5 drives similar to the 4GS but faster and has other utilities/features that the GS lacks.
Right, I wasn't sure but I assume it's me most of the time. I think maybe the "refinement" I spoke about has to do with the suspension architecture. Another example - driving an X1/2-series Gran Coupe versus an X3/3-series. The former ones are also lacking a bit of that balance.

Last edited by arentz07; 11-14-22 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-14-22, 05:31 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Poor word choice, there.

I actually am voluntarily changing the oil every 5,000 lol. It's my wife's car - if she wants it to be a dealership queen, that's fine by me. Maybe once it's out of warranty I'll look for a different shop, but actually, I do like our dealership, BMW of Gwinnett Place, a lot.

Sorry for off-topic, felt it was somewhat necessary to respond to this in the moment.
Off Topic Arentz Sorry...but do you like your IS 350 F Sport? I was kinda throwing that around as an idea...or IS 500. But curious how the weight difference would be between the IS 350 and 500. I might kinda like the lighter weight. I know the gas range and mileage of the 500 would probably be less. Sporty handling and braking matter to me more now than pure acceleration.. You are lucky to have a BMW dealer you like!
Old 11-14-22, 05:47 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Off Topic Arentz Sorry...but do you like your IS 350 F Sport? I was kinda throwing that around as an idea...or IS 500. But curious how the weight difference would be between the IS 350 and 500. I might kinda like the lighter weight. I know the gas range and mileage of the 500 would probably be less. Sporty handling and braking matter to me more now than pure acceleration.. You are lucky to have a BMW dealer you like!
As a mod I feel compelled to recommend asking in the 3IS forums instead of here, but the short version is yes, the IS 350 has been so nice to live with.

To be honest I seriously contemplated trading it for either a newer IS 350, an X3 M40i (speaking of BMW SUVs) for hypothetical rug-rat-mobile duties, or even an IS 500, but have not been able to sell myself on the upgrades yet. My wife even wanted me to look at an RX, thinking that, because I am a Lexus guy, I'd go for it, but nope... If I have to drive the baby buggy, it had better at least be somewhat fun to drive. No shade to the RX; I think it is great for what it is but not for me you know.
Old 11-14-22, 06:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

It's not a hybrid battery. It's the vehicle's main battery. You can compare a Cayenne hybrid battery to a RX hybrid battery. Who says you can't compare? The base Cayenne and RX 350 are both midsized luxury SUV's. I compared...I guess I broke the rules.
Because the RX is a joke compared o the Cayenne? That's why I'm not comparing them
Old 11-14-22, 06:04 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
As a mod I feel compelled to recommend asking in the 3IS forums instead of here, but the short version is yes, the IS 350 has been so nice to live with.

To be honest I seriously contemplated trading it for either a newer IS 350, an X3 M40i (speaking of BMW SUVs) for hypothetical rug-rat-mobile duties, or even an IS 500, but have not been able to sell myself on the upgrades yet. My wife even wanted me to look at an RX, thinking that, because I am a Lexus guy, I'd go for it, but nope... If I have to drive the baby buggy, it had better at least be somewhat fun to drive. No shade to the RX; I think it is great for what it is but not for me you know.
Thanks for the answer! There was some things I like about the current IS. Normal shifter, cd player, normal door handles, naturally aspirated V6 compared to the newer Lexus designs. The new RX and NX have many new changes I'm not sure of yet.
Old 11-14-22, 06:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Thats absurd. An X5 or X7 is rock solid at speeds well over 90 MPH. What isn't solid at those speeds is a big BOF SUV...the latest Suburban I drove was a good bit all over the road at 70 MPH.

The key is to have a vehicle that meets the preponderance of your needs, and unibody crossovers/SUVs really do that for a lot of people which is why they are so popular. Sure they may not ride or handle quite as well as a sedan, but they are surprisingly close and have a lot more capability on top of that. A big BOF SUV rides and drives nothing like a sedan.
Not vs the cars they don't, I can't do the same things in an X5M vs just a plain 550i on the same roads same day. It may very well be enough for most but I don't like compromising when I don't gain anything with the SUV personally since I have other cars.

Quick Reply: lexus vs bmw suvs