Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus vs bmw suvs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 05:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default lexus vs bmw suvs

was recently looking at a review of the new bmw x1 (which seems great) and got thinking about the bmw suv lineup vs lexus.

lexus ux nx rx lx vs bmw x1 x3 x5 x7
(leaving out the hot selling gx which is obviously a great seller still but is a dinosaur and not really comparable to anything else)

is it even close?

the bmw line-up seems to have great consistency, features, options, driving dynamics, where the lexus models don't seem consistent at all, with fwd architectures for 3 of those 4, upgraded infotainment, yes, and ??

i have an suv and will likely get another in a couple of years. i have no interest in a lexus suv, but i might consider a bmw suv.
Old 11-13-22, 05:39 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Having had a few RX and GX, currently dd X5, had X3 a few times, I can say the two brands are completely different. Maybe rx500h will bring in some fresh air. But the price is crazy. I personally don’t want to go back as of now.
Old 11-13-22, 05:43 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree with you on the above .
bmw has hit a point where the cars looks good , perform insane, are a little bit more reliable than most German cars , and more importantly the user experience in the interior of the vehicle is user centric and up to date (leaving the new RX out of this ) . Cutting edge can have its downs as well but I think in general we’ve hit a point where the amount there is to innovate is now limited and most are focused on EV and range (maybe self driving ) for the next generation.
Old 11-13-22, 06:03 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

What's new? BMW has always had RWD platforms and better performance than any non-BOF Lexus SUV from the past decade, which all remain FWD and Toyota-based and therefore "trustworthy". Neither brands are going to change their tried-and-true formulas with what they currently have. Not even the recent RX with its price bump can change this dynamic.

Of course, in a few years this dynamic will totally change as Lexus and BMW start shifting harder towards EV's which will level the playing ground. If Lexus truly wants to play with BMW, this is their chance. I hope they recognize that.
Old 11-13-22, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

No, BMW has a much better lineup of SUVs. Lexus has vehicles that sell to non enthusiasts because they are well priced, like the RX and NX, but the BMW vehicles blow them away with sophisgtication, and they have every segment covered where Lexus has glaring holes (no 3 row unibody SUV, no RWD based offerings, nothing over 65,000, etc)
Old 11-13-22, 09:01 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 969 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
What's new? BMW has always had RWD platforms and better performance than any non-BOF Lexus SUV from the past decade, which all remain FWD and Toyota-based and therefore "trustworthy". .
That's what I'm thinking too.

In the RX you can't get rear wheel drive unless you get AWD.
Since I buy cars used, I don't like the AWD for 2 reasons.
1) because I don't need it in Florida
2) adds extra expense for repairs when buying used and repairs are needed for AWD that I don't need.

Jamming a V-6 in a front wheel drive RX350 is bad form(IMO), hard to work on, and I don't like it.
Old 11-13-22, 09:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
In the RX you can't get rear wheel drive unless you get AWD.
Correction, youy can't get RWD period. Making a transverse FWD car AWD doesn't make it anything like a RWD longitudinal platform car.

Jamming a V-6 in a front wheel drive RX350 is bad form(IMO), hard to work on, and I don't like it.
Huh? We have had FWD V6 cars for literally 60 years.
Old 11-13-22, 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Never really cared for BMW X3,5,7 styling and design. Just not attractive IMO, worst of all is the X7. X2 I kinda like. I also liked the original X BMW Any of the Lexus GX or LX models from the last 25 years I find more interesting, attractive, capable and desirable. The new NX and RX look better than BMWs IMO.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-13-22 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-13-22, 11:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
was recently looking at a review of the new bmw x1 (which seems great) and got thinking about the bmw suv lineup vs lexus.

lexus ux nx rx lx vs bmw x1 x3 x5 x7
(leaving out the hot selling gx which is obviously a great seller still but is a dinosaur and not really comparable to anything else)

is it even close?

the bmw line-up seems to have great consistency, features, options, driving dynamics, where the lexus models don't seem consistent at all, with fwd architectures for 3 of those 4, upgraded infotainment, yes, and ??

i have an suv and will likely get another in a couple of years. i have no interest in a lexus suv, but i might consider a bmw suv.
Agree that the new X1 seems very nice. I had a previous gen '17 X1 and it was a great small CUV. It had a few shortcomings though that look to be corrected with the new one. It should sell very well.
Old 11-13-22, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

but that's what you drive, right?

Old 11-13-22, 12:08 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 969 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but that's what you drive, right?
Yeah, guilty as charged. lol

I drive an RX330 and why I am ranting about it.
They coud've made it a rear wheel drive but they went cheapo.

Like I was sayin, only way to get the rear wheels to spin is AWD.
Working on it basically sucks lemons with the V6 smashed in there sideways.

Another reason why I been looking at the LX and GX, I want a v-8 RWD again but in a smaller package.
If BMW is RWD I may consider that my next ugrade if peeps on here believe the BMW will go the long haul in miles since I will probably buy 2nd hand and will have some miles on it.
Old 11-13-22, 12:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Working on it basically sucks lemons with the V6 smashed in there sideways.
Just because a vehicle is rwd doesn’t mean working on it is necessarily easier to work on.
Old 11-13-22, 12:59 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 390 Likes on 265 Posts

BMWs are nice, but have some drawbacks. Expensive to insure and service (if you keep them outside the warranty). And their seats are hard as rocks, I had to use a memory foam seat cushion in both my last 5 series.
Old 11-13-22, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I actually love the styling of the X7. Even the refresh I have come to like a lot. I like the looks of the X7 but the size inside of the GLS.
Old 11-13-22, 02:50 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my latest experience with German Cars, I've sworn them off and just sold them both. Back to Lexus for me. Happy to have gotten one of the last 22 RX 350 Luxury. I love the naturally aspirated reliable V6, normal non lithium battery, tires that aren't high performance and easier to get. gated non electronic shifter, cd player (makes me old I know, but sounds amazing), full size spare, uses regular gas. It's so relaxing to drive. And our Lexus dealer offers pickup and delivery, has their own loaners available, and has their own roadside assistance to do things like change batteries onsite. That's luxury. Our local BMW and Porsche dealers don't have all of those things. My time is valuable, I have better things to do than deal with problems at my inconvenience. Especially to have both in for repair at the same time (one for 3 weeks) and be told no loaners available.

Quick Reply: lexus vs bmw suvs