Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 07:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those are all also reasons why the Prius won't reach those same sales figues, people who aren't big tech adopters (who were a huge part of Prius sales back in the 2000 and early 2010s) and just want hybrids buy Toyota hybrids that have more utility like you mention, and those tech adopters have moved on to EVs.

Thats precisely why they are making the Prius sportier and more powerful and better looking, because they need a selling proposition for the car because "hybrid tech" doesn't do it anymore.
I totally agree. The new Prius is nice design. Totally different reason to buy it now
Old 12-15-22, 08:51 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I like the styling of the new Prius.
However, I don't think Prius sales can return to the 236k+ of 2012 simply because of today's existence of the Corolla Hybrid.
You're right, they won't be anywhere near that number. 35K units annually. I expect dealer markups to be hilarious.

The New Prius Looks Like a Hit. Toyota Still Doesn't Expect to Sell That Many
Toyota U.S. Vice President of Marketing Lisa Materazzo told Road & Track that the company is expecting annual sales of around 35,000 units for the non-Prime, standard Prius. That's an improvement over the last full-year figure, but only barely. Toyota sold 33,968 Prius hybrids in 2021, despite the product's age and Toyota's considerable supply-chain constraints.
Old 12-16-22, 05:21 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Damn! I honestly wasn't thinking that low, but very interesting they only allocated that much to the US. For a mainstream vehicle such as the Prius in it's 1st year that's literally nothing. Very telling.
Old 12-16-22, 06:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
You're right, they won't be anywhere near that number. 35K units annually. I expect dealer markups to be hilarious.

For hybrid only and without prime. Prius Prime with larger battery and this packaging will probably have nice sales as well.
Old 12-16-22, 09:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Man I was way off. I was thinking more like 40K to 50K units. Doesn't seem worth the effort to keep it around if they are only going to sell in those small numbers
Old 12-16-22, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Man I was way off. I was thinking more like 40K to 50K units. Doesn't seem worth the effort to keep it around if they are only going to sell in those small numbers
Worldwide it will do much better
Old 12-16-22, 09:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think their target is right, make it attractive to young people, its good looking, its a little fun to drive. Great car for a teenager...I would buy one for my kids without hesitation.
Old 12-16-22, 10:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I think their target is right, make it attractive to young people, its good looking, its a little fun to drive. Great car for a teenager...I would buy one for my kids without hesitation.
Their target market is right on. Prices are out. $36K for a AWD loaded limited model. You have to remember there are a lot of negative naysayers as this is a Toyota product so they want to be negative just for the sake of being negative. Like what do sales in the US really matter to them? Anyways, I have never ever liked Prius the last while, the outgoing gen was weird looking and odd. This is much nicer and I like that the interior now has a traditional gauge cluster. I will need to replace my Matrix eventually, this likely would be perfect. awd as well I figure just 10 gas station visits per year. I have no interest in charging so the plug-in is not of interest. Only downside is that it need premium fuel
Old 12-16-22, 10:04 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I also think it is attractive to retired seniors especially on a fixed income. I see a lot of them in my area. Expensive Ev's are not in the budget.
Old 12-16-22, 10:23 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Their target market is right on. Prices are out. $36K for a AWD loaded limited model. You have to remember there are a lot of negative naysayers as this is a Toyota product so they want to be negative just for the sake of being negative. Like what do sales in the US really matter to them? Anyways, I have never ever liked Prius the last while, the outgoing gen was weird looking and odd. This is much nicer and I like that the interior now has a traditional gauge cluster. I will need to replace my Matrix eventually, this likely would be perfect. awd as well I figure just 10 gas station visits per year. I have no interest in charging so the plug-in is not of interest. Only downside is that it need premium fuel
That's very inexpensive nowadays.......
Old 12-16-22, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
$36k is a great price, like I said ours was $27,000 in 2004!

Premium fuel is an interesting change, at least it doesnt need much fuel...

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I also think it is attractive to retired seniors especially on a fixed income. I see a lot of them in my area. Expensive Ev's are not in the budget.
Totally agree...
Old 12-16-22, 12:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I'm sure you can get away with 87, the 91+ is likely just for stated performance since I just do not think toyota would be dumb enough to actually assume people will listen to a "required" label. Ford does this with all their ecoboost engines, you lose a lot of midrange TQ and top end HP for using 87 but it mostly doesn't cause issues.
Old 12-16-22, 12:25 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
For hybrid only and without prime. Prius Prime with larger battery and this packaging will probably have nice sales as well.
If it's anything like the RAV4 Prime, I expect the same limited volume and availability, followed by even more outrageous dealer markups.
Old 12-16-22, 01:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 488 Likes on 323 Posts

If it's anything like the RAV4 Prime, I expect the same limited volume and availability, followed by even more outrageous dealer markups.
True.
TMC just doesn’t have sufficient access to lithium.
Tesla took the bulk by signing up with Panasonic.
Old 12-16-22, 02:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Prius is a blip when it comes to revenue share. The actual bubble that is going to burst in 2023 is ICE sales and loans of these vehicles. We are likely going to see more people default on car loans than ever before and since legacy auto heavily relies on their finance arm things are going to get ugly.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius